Silly question - when you buy your bag, do you make a day out of it?

Hikitten

O.G.
Aug 7, 2011
OK, I have too much time on my hands obviously, but wondering what you ladies do when you go out and buy your bags? Do you plan a whole day around it? A nice lunch afterwards? Get all dressed up? Or if you've been waiting for this bag to come in do you just pop in and get it, cheap lunch at au bon pain and go home?

Just wondering because, now as a sahm, I have more time, and before I was always working so I'd just pop into a store after work or maybe the weekends. Or I've bought preloved and there wasn't much too it. And actually last time my bag was shipped to me so I walked out with empty handed and empty pockets. With other designers it wasn't as much of a big deal as Chanel. Now I'm going in to buy the WOC I want and even though its relatively a small purchase, I think it'd be nice to make a day of it. Anyone else? How is your Chanel purchase experience?

I don't plan a special activities of the day for the bag but i usually use the bag when the closest moment/weekend comes :smile: i just got a black reissue rhw last week and since i use my gst for work, i just switch it to my new reissue and do regular activities like taking my kids to music lesson (yes, on saturday) then groceries and accompanying my kids to play. Thats how i enjoy my bags :smile:

For me, I wear the outfits that I usually wear ( intentionally avoid dressing up) to see whether the bag suits my daily lifestyle.

I purchase the classic m/l in black caviar leather with silver hardware. I know that it must look good on me when I dress up. I just wonder whether it also looks good on me when I dress down.

After purchase, since the package is heavy and huge, I prefer dining somewhere not too crowded and comfortable. It's a bit tiring after all lol

Getting a lovely new bag fresh from the Chanel store is such a wonderful experience! I'll be so excited that I probably can't sleep the night before! I would wear a nice dress and pretty shoes to buy my bag :smile: especially when I've saved long and hard for it! After that I probably can't wait to go home and take photos haha.

When I buy a new bag at my local boutique, I'm making sure that it's really a kind of special day... I arrange enough time that I can spent at the boutique to have a chat with my SA and a glass of champagne... I dress up, but not too much... But even if I only buy a pair of earrings, I'll make the visit to my local boutique kind of special... and my SA always gets me a glass of champagne ;)

LOL no, I don't. I go out with the intention of getting the bag, and usually pick it up last on my shopping outting. I wear yoga pants and get a salad from SweetGreen or something. Not a big to-do at all.

I actually have less time as a SAHM, than I did when I worked for pay, to go shopping alone. Now I have limited times when I can shop without kids, so I never make a day of anything. LOL

I actually have less time as a SAHM, than I did when I worked for pay, to go shopping alone. Now I have limited times when I can shop without kids, so I never make a day of anything. LOL

Lol! I'm in the same boat!! I wish I could make a day of it. Buying a new chanel really should be made into a fun day if you have the time!! Maybe when my kids are older and in school for a full day.

For me, I wear the outfits that I usually wear ( intentionally avoid dressing up) to see whether the bag suits my daily lifestyle.

I purchase the classic m/l in black caviar leather with silver hardware. I know that it must look good on me when I dress up. I just wonder whether it also looks good on me when I dress down.

After purchase, since the package is heavy and huge, I prefer dining somewhere not too crowded and comfortable. It's a bit tiring after all lol

Good point. I didn't mean fancy dress up, but decent. I went in the other day and hated what I was wearing (prego belly did not look good) and could not stand trying bags on in the mirror. lol. And it is tiring and exhilarating to spend that much money. You need to eat after :smile:

When I buy a new bag at my local boutique, I'm making sure that it's really a kind of special day... I arrange enough time that I can spent at the boutique to have a chat with my SA and a glass of champagne... I dress up, but not too much... But even if I only buy a pair of earrings, I'll make the visit to my local boutique kind of special... and my SA always gets me a glass of champagne ;)

Good call on the champagne. Sometimes they don't give you anything. DH got coffee once. Miu miu even gave me champagne!

Lol! I'm in the same boat!! I wish I could make a day of it. Buying a new chanel really should be made into a fun day if you have the time!! Maybe when my kids are older and in school for a full day.

It should be a fun day or at least an afternoon! You spend so much and love the bag, it should be an experience. I can't shop with a toddler at H&M let alone Chanel. I have to take DH or leave the kid at home! Mommy needs a little time!

I mostly had my bags delivered bc I bought from places not near home. The time I bought my boy I just happen to see it in the boutique, so I jumped on the chance to get one so I really didn't make a day out of it. I would say I make the day that I first use the bag a more special day by dressing up a little more and seeing how to tie in my look w the bag I would like to use. To me the day I wear it is more special than day I got it... Lol I didn't know you can get champagne while you buy and shop!!! I'll ask for that next time!!! Lol

I mostly had my bags delivered bc I bought from places not near home. The time I bought my boy I just happen to see it in the boutique, so I jumped on the chance to get one so I really didn't make a day out of it. I would say I make the day that I first use the bag a more special day by dressing up a little more and seeing how to tie in my look w the bag I would like to use. To me the day I wear it is more special than day I got it... Lol I didn't know you can get champagne while you buy and shop!!! I'll ask for that next time!!! Lol

oh, you really have to!!! It makes the shopping extra nice... and the best is: I don't have to ask for it, my SA asks me mostly right away if I want a glass of champagne :biggrin::lol:;)

Great post and a great reminder to take advantages of opportunities to have fun and enjoy yourself. I have had all my recent purchases shipped to me but I certainly think if you purchase a bag locally you should enjoy the day and have a fun lunch or a drink even if it is by yourself. How great is it to carry around a Chanel shopping bag for a few hours. 😊

this is the cutest post ever! Thank you, OP

If the bag isn't being shipped, which has happened to me a couple of times, I usually dress down, so that when I "test" the bag out at the boutique or dept store, I know that ultimately it can only look better...

If the bag is being shipped, I try to work it out that I receive it when nobody else is home, so that I can spend some 'quality time' with my new bag.

Finally, if I do get the opportunity to go into the boutique or department store and pick the bag up (as opposed to shipping) I do tend to make a day of it, lunch, etc.

PS I've never been offered a drink at Chanel ~ I've been offered sparkling water (I think Perrier) at Dior; they're much nicer at Dior.

Getting a lovely new bag fresh from the Chanel store is such a wonderful experience! I'll be so excited that I probably can't sleep the night before! I would wear a nice dress and pretty shoes to buy my bag :smile: especially when I've saved long and hard for it! After that I probably can't wait to go home and take photos haha.

This is me too! :smile:

OK, I have too much time on my hands obviously, but wondering what you ladies do when you go out and buy your bags? Do you plan a whole day around it? A nice lunch afterwards? Get all dressed up? Or if you've been waiting for this bag to come in do you just pop in and get it, cheap lunch at au bon pain and go home?
and go back to work instead of home. :lol:

this is the cutest post ever! Thank you, OP

If the bag isn't being shipped, which has happened to me a couple of times, I usually dress down, so that when I "test" the bag out at the boutique or dept store, I know that ultimately it can only look better...

Brilliant!