Sigh...Anyone else ever contemplated Brikin v Cabat?

Dec 6, 2005
I just don't know! I have a Birkin on order (35 Raisin, with PHW) that is scheduled for September '08 Delivery. But during this long time waiting I have really grown to love BV's quiet luxe especially that lovely Ottone color and now I am thinking a lot about the possibility of a special order medium cabat in Ottone. Has anyone else ever contemplated between these two icons? What did you chooose and why? Even better does anyone have both?! Thanks guys!

Ideally, get both as they are so different in looks. Both if you had to chose one, I would definitely go for the Birkin over the cabat. Reason? The Birkin has better resale value compared to the cabat.

I just don't know! I have a Birkin on order (35 Raisin, with PHW) that is scheduled for September '08 Delivery. But during this long time waiting I have really grown to love BV's quiet luxe especially that lovely Ottone color and now I am thinking a lot about the possibility of a special order medium cabat in Ottone. Has anyone else ever contemplated between these two icons? What did you chooose and why? Even better does anyone have both?! Thanks guys!

I bought a Birkin 35 about a year ago and the platino ossiado cabat last month. So there was no contemplation involved.

Both are very beautiful bags and I wouldn't give up either.
But if you must choose, I would say go for the Birkin simply because in comparison Birkin is more difficult to get.

I don't have this problem because I don't really care for any of the Hermes bag styles. However, if I did like both bags and could only be limited to one, I do agree with Miranda's assessment regarding resale value. I have checked out the Hermes forum from time to time; I was intrigued by the press that Hermes gets and wanted to see if any style caught my eye. From what I've read in the Hermes forum, it sounds like Hermes really takes care of their customers with regards to repairing/maintaining purchased merchandise and it sounds like the Hermes leather is pretty durable.

Two totally different bags, in my opinion. Therefore, that means you ought to have one of each! I've never held a birkin before, but I'm fairly sure it is much heavier than the cabat, if that makes a huge difference. The feel of the leather is totally different from Hermes leathers. I love my BVs for the soft pettable nature of the leather; I love Hermes for the sturdiness and "built like a tank" feel of the leather and construction. Soooo...what I'm really saying is, get both! BTW, you shouldn't have to special order a medium ottone cabat unless they are totally sold out right now.

Definitely get both if you can...I'd get the birkin when it comes and then snatch a medium ottone cabat...you won't regret it, both bags serve different purposes and you wouldn't want any other bags besides a classic birkin and a fun cabat...maybe something small for the evening but that's all you really need!

Luckily for me, the Hermes bug hasn't bitten yet, so in this case, I would definitely pick the Ottone Cabat :love: over any Birkin :P However, if you're thinking of resale value in the long run etc, then your best bet would be the Birkin.

If money isn't an issue, get both! You can't go wrong that way. Hee.

BagLovingMom- a 35 raisin birkin sounds wonderful. i have the ottone cabat and want to get a birkin soon.
both bags are great but both have some issues imo. the cabat is light, beautiful and can go over the shoulder although it would be tight over a coat. the issue with the cabat is it is totally open and unstructured.
the birkin is also beautiful but heavy and can't go over the shoulder. the bolide and kelly do have straps and it would be nice if the birkin had some shoulder options.
either way they are both great. since i don't have a birkin it's hard to give good advice. good luck and enjoy your birkin in good health.

Baglovingmom, I ordered the exact same birkin as you for autumn delivery. I tried on the cabat and although I love BV and have the other styles the cabat was just not for me, although it is a beautiful bag. I vote go for the birkin now and maybe a cabat in the future if you still love the style.

It's the difference between structured and unstructured. Which are you? For myself, I am definitely unstructured. If I can't put it on my shoulder or at least up high on my arm, I don't want it. I know the birkin is coveted worldwide, but it looks to me like something my mother would carry, and believe me, I'm not young. To me, it's just not fun. It's just a status symbol.