Workplace Sick of working min wage, want to start a real career

Apr 14, 2011
Ok so lately i've been feeling really stressed with the pressures of school and my minimum wage job as a cashier. All i can think about is how much i want to finish school, start my career and never have to work for min wage again. I'm pretty sick of working in the service industry for little money, my parents keep telling me to enjoy my youth because that's all i'll wish for when i'm older but i cannot WAIT to start my grown up life. Has anyone had these thoughts before? for the ladies that have finished school and started their careers, are you happier now then you were while in college? Are you happy with your careers? Should i look forward to having more responsibilites or does it just get worse?

I was like you, I couldn't WAIT to finish school so I could be in the "real world." Just do the best you can and finish school as quickly as possible -- it will get better, I promise!

It's a tradeoff hon. Basically it can be summed up as mo money, mo problems, lol.

There are parts of being in a McJob that are kinda appealing once you're stuck into your "real career". You don't need to use your brain too much, you leave your job behind when you go home, you are never going to be lying awake at night stressing out about how your FY12 financial goals aren't going to be met and you're going to have to fire people, etc. You usually get a lunch hour, and overtime (kiss those goodbye if you get into corporate work). That kind of thing.

But then, when you have more money, you do have more freedom (provided you're handling your finances intelligently, of course! please don't get into debt for frivolous things, whatever you do). You get to go on more trips, buy the clothes you want not just the cheapest stuff that you can find, etc. And in general, you put up with less $h!t from people. Not always, but generally.

But enjoy what you have while you have it. Look for the positives in the present while also being excited for the future. That's the key to a happy life. :smile:

It's a tradeoff hon. Basically it can be summed up as mo money, mo problems, lol.

There are parts of being in a McJob that are kinda appealing once you're stuck into your "real career". You don't need to use your brain too much, you leave your job behind when you go home, you are never going to be lying awake at night stressing out about how your FY12 financial goals aren't going to be met and you're going to have to fire people, etc. You usually get a lunch hour, and overtime (kiss those goodbye if you get into corporate work). That kind of thing.

But then, when you have more money, you do have more freedom (provided you're handling your finances intelligently, of course! please don't get into debt for frivolous things, whatever you do). You get to go on more trips, buy the clothes you want not just the cheapest stuff that you can find, etc. And in general, you put up with less $h!t from people. Not always, but generally.

But enjoy what you have while you have it. Look for the positives in the present while also being excited for the future. That's the key to a happy life. :smile:

Thanks, that's a really good way to look at it:smile: and i put up with **** from people on a regular basis so that's one of the huge reasons i'm looking forward to having a career, then again i'm going into HR so i'll probably be putting up with BS anyway, hehe(in a different way though)

You're in university I assume?

You can get a much better job than working as a cashier. I worked my first year of university in retail for minimum wage, then after my company went bankrupt I worked as a salon receptionist, then doing admin work at my university, then being a sociology TA, then finally back to a full time admin job for the summer.

I don't mean to worry you, but starting out in HR is tough if you don't have much professional experience (I'm in HR too-I'll be graduating next month). I'm really worried, and at least I have some admin experience. Does your university have a co-op program? It's SO great to get into. The pay is usually great, and you gain experience working in your field. My friend did co-op and got a job before she even graduated because she already had a year of HR experience.

Some schools have student jobs that are partially funded by the government and pay really high for a student job (I had one of these at university, and made $17 an hour doing various admin work). I couldn't have done all the traveling I did or afforded to go into a full-time post grad program that didn't allow time for work if I hadn't worked these higher paying jobs during my undergrad. It did a lot to relieve my frustrations because I didn't have to worry about money all the time.

Thanks, that's a really good way to look at it:smile: and i put up with **** from people on a regular basis so that's one of the huge reasons i'm looking forward to having a career, then again i'm going into HR so i'll probably be putting up with BS anyway, hehe(in a different way though)

You really think you won't have to put up with sh*t on a regular basis when you begin a career?

I understand where you're coming from. I work as a sales associate for almost 3 years now and only get paid a little above minimum wage. My manager is incompetent and relies on me to help her with everything. She calls me selfish for wanting to take my breaks, and make the rest of the sales associates do unnecessary things. The only reason I stick with this job is because it's close to my community college. However, I have a year left before I transfer, so it keeps my spirits high.

Although I know I will still have to find a new job when I transfer, I really believe that any job is better than the one I currently have. I can't wait to start my career either, but no matter how hard things seem now, a career can be just as tough.

Keep your head up! :smile:

You're in university I assume?

You can get a much better job than working as a cashier. I worked my first year of university in retail for minimum wage, then after my company went bankrupt I worked as a salon receptionist, then doing admin work at my university, then being a sociology TA, then finally back to a full time admin job for the summer.

I don't mean to worry you, but starting out in HR is tough if you don't have much professional experience (I'm in HR too-I'll be graduating next month). I'm really worried, and at least I have some admin experience. Does your university have a co-op program? It's SO great to get into. The pay is usually great, and you gain experience working in your field. My friend did co-op and got a job before she even graduated because she already had a year of HR experience.

Some schools have student jobs that are partially funded by the government and pay really high for a student job (I had one of these at university, and made $17 an hour doing various admin work). I couldn't have done all the traveling I did or afforded to go into a full-time post grad program that didn't allow time for work if I hadn't worked these higher paying jobs during my undergrad. It did a lot to relieve my frustrations because I didn't have to worry about money all the time.

My school does have jobs but they're very competitive to get and usually only last a certain amount of time. I definitely want to get an internship or do co-op but i have to wait to atleast my 3rd year because they usually don't accept 1st or 2nd year students. As of right now my cashier job is the best option but when i get into my final years of study i'm definitely going to try and get an internship or something related to HR

You really think you won't have to put up with sh*t on a regular basis when you begin a career?

i think when you start your career or a real job....that's when the real crap starts....that's my experience. you can't quit b/c you got bills to pay.
if you are talking about more $$...yes...the crap is still there but w/ more money:P

Ok so lately i've been feeling really stressed with the pressures of school and my minimum wage job as a cashier. All i can think about is how much i want to finish school, start my career and never have to work for min wage again. I'm pretty sick of working in the service industry for little money, my parents keep telling me to enjoy my youth because that's all i'll wish for when i'm older but i cannot WAIT to start my grown up life. Has anyone had these thoughts before? for the ladies that have finished school and started their careers, are you happier now then you were while in college? Are you happy with your careers? Should i look forward to having more responsibilites or does it just get worse?

i feel ya. been there. but not to burst your bubble, rent and taxes and health insurance and bills are some things not fun to look forward to. a few years into your career you'll also be really missing your summer/fall/winter breaks. seriously.

i feel ya. been there. but not to burst your bubble, rent and taxes and health insurance and bills are some things not fun to look forward to. a few years into your career you'll also be really missing your summer/fall/winter breaks. seriously.

Hell yes! I graduated almost 2 years ago and I really miss my holidays! I was one who couldnt wait to finish Uni...now I would love to go back!!

i think when you start your career or a real job....that's when the real crap starts....that's my experience. you can't quit b/c you got bills to pay.
if you are talking about more $$...yes...the crap is still there but w/ more money:P

true, June! In the words of Notorious B.I.G., "Mo Money Mo Problems." (RIP)

I second this! Honestly, I'm very fortunate to have my job and I make a lot more than what I used to even a few years back, but comes with responsibilities that keep me up at nights. Plus, I'm supporting both my DH and I ATM so yes, it's super stressful.

I really miss being in school, having all those breaks(I only get 1 week vacation per year and I don't get any overtime..I have a corporate job BTW), having the whole possibilities opened in front of you...etc.

I put up with more BS now than I ever did when I was in school. Back when I was a student, I didn't have a care in the world what others thought of me, or took out of my behavior/what I said etc. But if you want to advance far in your professional life, you do have to be compliant, be open-minded to opinions and suggestions of others. You have more at stake, so you need to endure more.

Just enjoy your youth, you will miss it when it's gone!