Sick cat anyone have experience with this?

Jbb924

O.G.
Feb 7, 2013
My 7 year old himalayan hasn't been feeling well lately. He has always been prone to hairballs and occasional vomiting fits. My vet told me to give him laxatone and for a while it was working.

Last month he had a day where he vomited a few times and was not his usual self. He just layed around and didn't want to be bothered. I made an appointment with my vet the next day and by then he had been feeling better. The vet dismissed it as just an upset stomach. 2 weeks ago same thing happened and I brought him back. The vet told me to make an appointment for blood work which I did yesterday. I'm just waiting on the results.

Today he is feeling sick again he threw up a few times and he is laying in the bathroom on the tile floor not wanting to be bothered. Both previous times he acted this way and then the following day he was back to his usual self. He is an indoor cat so I know he couldn't of gotten into anything. I'm so concerned. It breaks my heart to see him sick. I have a tendency to over react and I'm very quick to run both my cats to the vet at first chance something is wrong. I may be overreacting here, but I'm so upset over it.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is there something more I could do?

I wonder if he has a food allergy?
I don't know that there's much you can do until the results of his bloods come back, maybe a bland diet of cooked chicken and boiled rice or RC Sensitivity food if you can find it.
Good luck, I know how stressful it gets when our furkids are ill.

No you are not overreacting. Don't ever think this because cats are notorious for hiding their illnesses and ailments. Another member posted concerns about her cat recently and sadly nothing could be done for her fur baby… I am wondering whether your boy has a temperature because he is seeking out a cool place to hide. Did the vet check this? I hope the bloods come back clear of anything serious. If you feel he is getting worse, for your own piece of mind, take him to an emergency clinic.

Please keep us updated. Good luck

I forgot to add that if it is just furballs he would be back to normal as soon as he had vomited. Because he is not rebounding makes me concerned that it is more than this.

My Vincent had, what I believe to have been a belly ache, a few weeks ago. He never vomits, but this night after his 10pm snack he seemed to be in distress, (he was agitated) then he threw up, but he was still in distress and he couldn't get comfortable. He then went into his hiding place, which I've learnt is the place he goes when he is feeling unwell or scared. We then took him straight to the emergency clinic where he was given something to calm his tummy and some serious pain relief (he was stoned for about 24 hours). The next day our normal vet couldn't find anything wrong (neither did the ER). If he was a horse I would have said he had colic.

Last edited:
I wonder if he has a food allergy?
I don't know that there's much you can do until the results of his bloods come back, maybe a bland diet of cooked chicken and boiled rice or RC Sensitivity food if you can find it.
Good luck, I know how stressful it gets when our furkids are ill.

Thank you! The vet said he thought that was a good possibility. He said once the blood work comes back and hopefully rules out anything serious we can start him on a special diet. I'm crossing my fingers that's all it is. Thanks again!

No you are not overreacting. Don't ever think this because cats are notorious for hiding their illnesses and ailments. Another member posted concerns about her cat recently and sadly nothing could be done for her fur baby… I am wondering whether your boy has a temperature because he is seeking out a cool place to hide. Did the vet check this? I hope the bloods come back clear of anything serious. If you feel he is getting worse, for your own piece of mind, take him to an emergency clinic.

Please keep us updated. Good luck

I forgot to add that if it is just furballs he would be back to normal as soon as he had vomited. Because he is not rebounding makes me concerned that it is more than this.

My Vincent had, what I believe to have been a belly ache, a few weeks ago. He never vomits, but this night after his 10pm snack he seemed to be in distress, (he was agitated) then he threw up, but he was still in distress and he couldn't get comfortable. He then went into his hiding place, which I've learnt is the place he goes when he is feeling unwell or scared. We then took him straight to the emergency clinic where he was given something to calm his tummy and some serious pain relief (he was stoned for about 24 hours). The next day our normal vet couldn't find anything wrong (neither did the ER). If he was a horse I would have said he had colic.

Thank you for validating me. I tend to overreact but I love them so much and I would always rather be safe than sorry. I'm happy your Vincent is feeling better. I hope the same for my Gus. I'll keep you posted.

If any of my cats are doing anything different for more than a day or 2 I take them to the vet. I would rather be told it's nothing than to not catch something early. Obviously if it is something that really worried me I would get them to the vet right away. You are not alone in overacting. But for every 10 times I am told it's nothing I find a small problem and fix it before it becomes a big problem. The $40 exam fee is worth it for my piece of mind.

No such thing as overreacting when it comes to our fur babies! Cats can go downhill very quickly if left untreated for too long. I would always ere on the side of caution. I will keep your baby in my thoughts and hope for good test results. Hopefully it is nothing serious and you will be enjoying some premium snuggle time together again soon! Best of luck!

Hope your cat feels better soon! When they're vomiting for reasons other than hairballs, it's usually because of something in their food or something they ate that they shouldn't. Bits of onion or garlic will upset their stomach, even in small doses. I always take care to sweep those up even if my cat doesn't like people food. If your cat's dish is in the kitchen, try putting it somewhere else for a while. If it really is food allergies, then I hope the diet change helps. My cat has always hated anything with fish, and the last time she had a primarily fish-based meal, she ran around meowing until it all just came gushing out of her face. Not a happy cat, and not a happy me.

I hope your cat is feeling better soon and that they figure out what is making him ill. I know how upsetting it is when our babies aren't feeling well.

I recently had a similar experience with my cat. Not so much the vomiting, but a definite loss of appetite. I took her to the vet and the bloodwork came back normal. Then they did an x-ray and followed up with an ultrasound to confirm that she has gall stones. I never knew cats could get gall stones.

Thanks everyone! Still waiting on the blood work vet said it should be in by tomorrow. He's acting more like himself. I'm so happy he seems to be feeling better. Crossing my fingers for more good news.

Hey everyone! Gus' blood work came back today. Everything was good except his sugar was on a little on the high side. Vet is doing one more test to rule out diabetes. Hoping this last test comes back okay. Vet said he thinks it's more than likely he has just been having stomach issues. A change of food may be order. As I'm typing this he's looking up at me, waiting for me to amuse him. Thanks for the well wishes!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 66