Siberian Husky Sock Eating Problem!!

^ That is what I have done with my puppy. When we are away she is in the kitchen with 2 baby gates (we puppy proofed the kitchen for her). When she was little and we were home we would pick a room we will be in and gate her into the room with us. That way she couldn't wander off (or we didn't have to chase after her) and we could always see what she was getting into.

My girl (who is now 9 months) had a thing for the kitchen dish sponge. ick! We taught her 'take it' / 'leave it' to help teach her what she could have and what she must leave alone. Good luck!!

hey, I was also thinking...

are you sure he eats them? maybe he just took them and hid them somewhere... but if he actually ate it, does he poop them back out? I used to get my dog those rope chew toys and she would shred it and eat the rope but when she pooped, the chunk of rope would come back out.

Yeah I know for a fact he eats then because we see him throwing up and once we go clean up they're my baby's socks. :cursing:

And is Bitter apple safe to use on my baby's socks because he only goes for her socks and nothing else. Just last week he threw her dirty clothes bin and when I looked through it everything was there except for the socks!! I don't know it's insane he's a really well behaved dog he just has this bad habit, and I can't seem to fix it.

1) crate train him or keep him confined when you don't have your eyes on him AT ALL TIMES

2) keep the socks away from him (i.e., close the bathroom door if the laundry basket's in there or get a new hamper that has a lid)

3) as the other posters pointed out, Bitter Apple works wonders for naughty chewers. I had a husky puppy before and we used it on wires, socks, shoes, EVERYTHING and she never chewed anything but her toys which brings me to my next point...

4) give him LOTS of toys to chew on. Give him nyla bones, frozen kongs with peanut butter in them and kibbles etc. to keep him busy so he won't even THINK of socks.

5) if you catch him chewing on a sock, firmly grab him muzzle, look him in the eye and say in stern voice "NO BITE" and then give him a toy and praise him when he plays with it.

EDIT: Also, dogs can develop behavioral issues and unhealthy obsessions if they're bored and not exercised enough. When you chose a husky I'm assuming that you did the research and understand that it's a breed that requires a LOT of exercise. Letting it run around in your yard, no matter how big it is is simply not enough. Huskies need to be WALKED for 2 hours a day. You can alternate between running and walking with it but it needs to WALK. They are powerful animals with incredible staminas and are like this because they were bred for it. My husky could pull my then boyfriend on Rollerblades, up and down the street at full-speed for 2 hours when she was only 5 months old (she wore a harness) so just think of how much exercise your new puppy needs. Remember, if you don't give it the attention, training and exercise it NEEDS then you'll have a very fuzzy problem on your hands.

Huskies are really smart and learn quickly. Good luck!

My schnauzer is 8 and still eats underwear any time he can get them - mine or DF's or anyone else's - and only eats the crotch.

A hamper with a lid is a good idea, but make sure it doesn't have holes in it (like the woven ones) - my dog was always pretty good about pulling dirty undies through the holes so he could eat them. He would also eat them through lingerie bags. Never bothered clean ones - only dirty.

I'm sure it's the same with OP's baby socks - they smell like her, and the pup eats them to be close to her scent.

Our golden has a thing for paper and plastic - paper towels, trash, packing stuff, DVD cases, remotes, kleenex, anything like that. We have to make sure the kitchen trash is covered and the bathroom and office doors are closed. They're crated when we leave the house together (they only do bad stuff when we leave together - not separately), but they eat stuff when we're home and not watching.

Bitter apple has never phased either one of them.

YES!!!! My husky/lab has eaten 2 of my socks and luckily threw them up. :sick:

Can you believe this little angel would do that! :angel:

KleanKona.jpg

oh tabbyco! that's such a sweet face!! those eyessssssss!! he looks a bit like my old shepherd cross when HE was a puppy!

Illi: Some times Bitter Apple doesn't work but most dogs hate it. What a friend of mine did was spray a bit of it into the pups mouth so that it's really strong and ever since then she associated the yucky taste with the bad experience. a little inhumane but it worked and she no longer chews wires (prolly saved her life too!)

My friend's Golden constantly eats socks. She has had a lot of vet bills because of it (when he doesn't poop them out, they cause a blockage). Her kids are under death threats to keep their bedroom doors closed so the dog can't get at their socks.

Have you watched Ceasar Milan on the National Geographic Channel? They had a dog that had the same problem as yours! The dog would eat EVERYTHING including rugs. :sad: He has DVD's out and IMO I think they're great! Hope your problem is solved soon!

Yep, I had a fox terrier when I was in 3rd grade and she had the worst habit of eating socks and even liked to chew on my ballet shoes. We found a ballet shoe under the bed all chewn up and when she started bleeding vaginally we rushed her to the vet and he said that there was nothing he could do for her :shocked:. Needless to say we found another vet ASAP and that vet ended up doing emergency surgery that night. The ballet shoe had blocked her intestines and she was starting to bleed out. When we called to check on her the next morning we were told that she had passed away during the night. If that first vet would have recognized the emergency she would have lived. That particular vet is no longer in practice in this town if that tells you anything. I hope you can figure out how to make your dog quit that bad habit. Good luck!

1) crate train him or keep him confined when you don't have your eyes on him AT ALL TIMES

2) keep the socks away from him (i.e., close the bathroom door if the laundry basket's in there or get a new hamper that has a lid)

3) as the other posters pointed out, Bitter Apple works wonders for naughty chewers. I had a husky puppy before and we used it on wires, socks, shoes, EVERYTHING and she never chewed anything but her toys which brings me to my next point...

4) give him LOTS of toys to chew on. Give him nyla bones, frozen kongs with peanut butter in them and kibbles etc. to keep him busy so he won't even THINK of socks.

5) if you catch him chewing on a sock, firmly grab him muzzle, look him in the eye and say in stern voice "NO BITE" and then give him a toy and praise him when he plays with it.

EDIT: Also, dogs can develop behavioral issues and unhealthy obsessions if they're bored and not exercised enough. When you chose a husky I'm assuming that you did the research and understand that it's a breed that requires a LOT of exercise. Letting it run around in your yard, no matter how big it is is simply not enough. Huskies need to be WALKED for 2 hours a day. You can alternate between running and walking with it but it needs to WALK. They are powerful animals with incredible staminas and are like this because they were bred for it. My husky could pull my then boyfriend on Rollerblades, up and down the street at full-speed for 2 hours when she was only 5 months old (she wore a harness) so just think of how much exercise your new puppy needs. Remember, if you don't give it the attention, training and exercise it NEEDS then you'll have a very fuzzy problem on your hands.

Huskies are really smart and learn quickly. Good luck!

These are some good tips. Our Malamute is 8 years old and we walk him morning and night- before and after work without fail for the past eight years- a bored dog can develop a lot of behaviour problems. Now having said that, the good news is that he is problem free and we can leave him in our house unattended while we are at work but it took 18 months of training to get him to that point. And not only that but I have 3 cats that are loose in the house with him and there are people that told us that would never be possible with a Malamute. He is the love of my life- I have had a lot of pets but none can compare to my Koda:heart:

I have a six month old Siberian named Xian. She is exactly the same. She loves socks and g-strings..and swallows them whole!!!!....last christmas we took her to the coast where she swallowed a fishing hook whole!!. The vet cut her open and found the hook as well as a whole sweat sock in there. He suggested we put a zipper on her belly :smile:.... as much as you try to keep the edibles away from her she still manages to get ahold of it...the worst is that she is so sneaky about...and knows its forbidden...but will make you run after her like a crazy person...then swallow the thing in front of you....she is just so naughty ...you want to kill her...but with those eyes you can never stay angry for long..I agree that she is the most challenging little one....

We just had a puppy visiting for a week. Oh my! The stuff he got into. There are no more stuffed toys at my house. All the bits of paper are picked up now. All the drawers and doors are shut tight. Most toys are under something.

If I had a puppy I would have goodies in my pocket at all times - cookies and toys. Puppy gets that nummers old sock, I call puppy and trade for a noisy wiggly toy game or a cookie. With super human persistence you would create a dog that brings you every treasure they find forever.

Wonder how long I would last at this? Puppies are a lot of trouble! Good thing they are so adorable.