Shsould I accept this partial refund? Seller is trying to charge "restocking fee"!

nooch

Judge Roughneck
Apr 25, 2008
I purchased a ring that was listed as a size 9 (my size). I get the ring, and it's a size 8 and does not fit. So I email the seller and explain that while I love the ring, I'm totally bummed that the size was listed incorrectly and I would like to send it back for a full refund. She has a "20% restocking fee" listed in her return policy but I asked for a full refund since the item was SNAD. She told me that she didn't believe that the ring wasn't a size 9 and even though I measured it on three different ring sizers (I sell jewelry so I had three different ring sizers) she was not going to refund me the entire purchase price.

I opened a dispute and she escalated it to a claim and offered me $322 (I paid $400). I'm so terrified that even though I'm right, I'm going to lose the dispute and be SOL (I don't want to resell the ring because of the horrible place ebay is right now). But I also don't want to be bullied into losing nearly $80 because she can't measure a ring. What would you do?

No :sad: This was a Murphy's Law purchase - the one time I forget to switch my payment method to CC instead of bank account, is the time the purchase goes awry.

If it is the wrong size then it is Significantly not as Described, and you are entitled to a full refund less shipping. Do not accept her offer. Because the problem was created by her sending you something other than you ordered you will win the paypal case. Decline the offer but it will take a few days for paypal to review. If you paid $400 you will get it all back. Definitely worth the wait if you ask me!

Once they tell you it is OK to return you will have to do so with Signature Confirmation and provide the tracking number to PP.

I assume you opened a significantly not as described dispute? Don't let the seller bully you with her tactic of escalating it to a claim. You can try sending her a picture of the ring sitting on a ring sizer at the 8 mark. Maybe that will make her realize you have tangible proof and speed up the process. If she still insists on the restocking fee, then contact paypal. Whatever you do, do not close the dispute. Once you close it, you can't reopen it. The way she is behaving, she is betting on you not knowing the rules. Everything is in your favor in this case.

^^ I was just going to suggest the same thing. Take the picture and send to her and PP if you can. I don't think that if you win the SNAD that she can just offer a partial refund. If PP sides with you, you will get all of your money back after you prove you have returned the ring to her.

Thanks everyone! I called PP and the person I spoke to seemed horrified that she would try to charge a restocking fee on something that was her mistake & she told me the same thing you guys said - I'll win & I'll get my money back.

Question - if she tries to refuse shipment or refuses to sign for it, what will happen to my refund?

Thanks everyone! I called PP and the person I spoke to seemed horrified that she would try to charge a restocking fee on something that was her mistake & she told me the same thing you guys said - I'll win & I'll get my money back.

Question - if she tries to refuse shipment or refuses to sign for it, what will happen to my refund?

You will have to talk to PP but as long as you can show that it was refused then they should refund you. Ususally they put the refund through when it says delivered but if it shows that she deliberately refused the package I am guessing that they will be on your side.

Don't be terrified, my friend. Assuming you bought the ring on fBay, because of the SNAD, which you will most likely win, PayFoe will refund the price of the ring plus the original shipping. Just make sure you ship it back with SigConf, as AC said. If anything, you could always just ship it back and show proof of delivery, and you will get your money back. When this gets sorted out, I would leave honest feedback about the transaction.

Not sure if she refuses it comes back to you. but you can prove to pay pal that you tired to deliver and they would not accept... make sure all of your contact goes via pay pal or eBay so that you can keep track of it as well as ebay and pay pal can see this info. best of luck... I am actually doing REALLY well on eBay so I would not be worried to try to sell it if all else fails.
Best!