Home & Garden Show us your kitchen

Okay, here are a few photos of our kitchen. Tough to get a picture of the whole thing at once, because our breakfast table is in the way!

The previous owners did a lot of remodeling and put in the solid granite counters (which I love) and the white laminate cabinetry (which I loathe, but don't want to pay to replace). A couple of years ago we replaced all the appliances with black, painted the wood cabinet frames & walls a brick red color, replaced the faucet, and put on new cabinet & drawer pulls. It feels so much warmer now. It may look a bit cluttery to some, but I love the homey, comfortable, cottage look.

34glpqa.jpg

28hftc3.jpg

And because I'm always posting about cookware in The Kitchen, here's a sample of some of ours. :lol:

2jchdf7.jpg

35bf2g4.jpg

35ix9q9.jpg

(Excuse the clutter & dust in that last one!)

That cookware is really cool!

The white cabinets with the dark floor along with the stainless appliances looks so rich. How long did it take to renovate the entire house?

Your kitchen is beautiful. :smile:

Thank you so much!

We actually bought the house and renovated it all in about 3 months. We didn't do it alone, my husband is in the business of renovating homes so we had a big crew. There are still a lot of things I want to do to the house that didn't get done or done right the first time (learned my lesson about rushing things :smile:), but it's still something I'm very proud of.

Thank you so much!

We actually bought the house and renovated it all in about 3 months. We didn't do it alone, my husband is in the business of renovating homes so we had a big crew. There are still a lot of things I want to do to the house that didn't get done or done right the first time (learned my lesson about rushing things :smile:), but it's still something I'm very proud of.

You have to post pictures of other rooms that you transformed. Generally homes built that long ago were built solid you don't find that much now. There are McMansions all over the country now. It's really a good idea taking your time; you might even change your mind over time about a design you first wanted. We have travertine tumbled tile in our home that I hate, and I'm not looking forward to the mess when the men break it up in my home. It probably weighs a ton too, but it has to be picked up in order for us to put what we want down. :biggrin:

You have to post pictures of other rooms that you transformed. Generally homes built that long ago were built solid you don't find that much now. There are McMansions all over the country now. It's really a good idea taking your time; you might even change your mind over time about a design you first wanted. We have travertine tumbled tile in our home that I hate, and I'm not looking forward to the mess when the men break it up in my home. It probably weighs a ton too, but it has to be picked up in order for us to put what we want down. :biggrin:

That's an excellent idea! I would love to share before & after photos. I may do that when I get a free day to edit them right, etc. You're right about the McMansions! They are built so quickly and out of cheaper materials (usually) that they start falling apart in 5 years. I don't like travertine, but it appeals to soooo many people! Or maybe builders just use it so much, people think they like it. What do you want to put down in its place??

That's an excellent idea! I would love to share before & after photos. I may do that when I get a free day to edit them right, etc. You're right about the McMansions! They are built so quickly and out of cheaper materials (usually) that they start falling apart in 5 years. I don't like travertine, but it appeals to soooo many people! Or maybe builders just use it so much, people think they like it. What do you want to put down in its place??

The area is our entrance and goes into our dining room, so I "think" I want marble. I really want a continuation of the hardwood floors that are in the family room and the kitchen. But they can't match the hardwood floors I already have with a brand new hardwood floor. I would have to talk my DH into it too. He knows there's nothing wrong with the hardwood floors in the kitchen and the family room. I'll get a lot of estimates and see what happens. :P

ETA: Travertine Tumbled tile is disgusting. I'll send you a photo of it. :smile:

Love the white against the dark floors (I am so addicted to white subway tile lol)! How does the marble stack up against stains, especially in the kitchen?

Thanks! It's actually a lot easier to maintain than people make it seem. It took us a little while to find someone willing to install in our kitchen because of rumors that it stains and etches too easily. Everyone kept telling us we would hate it. That couldn't be further from the truth. I love my marble! If you clean up your messes in a timely manner and leaves spills out for days on end, you should be okay. The marble does etch easily with acidic fruits or liquids but I don't mind it. I think it adds character.

Thanks! It's actually a lot easier to maintain than people make it seem. It took us a little while to find someone willing to install in our kitchen because of rumors that it stains and etches too easily. Everyone kept telling us we would hate it. That couldn't be further from the truth. I love my marble! If you clean up your messes in a timely manner and leaves spills out for days on end, you should be okay. The marble does etch easily with acidic fruits or liquids but I don't mind it. I think it adds character.

Thanks so much for the information...I just love the look of marble, beyond bathrooms! :P