Show & Tell:- What's interesting in your city?

San Juan Capistrano is a city located in southern Orange County, California, USA. The city was created around Mission San Juan Capistrano, and many of the homes and strip malls resemble the Spanish architecture that compose the building. It is home to the widest variety of homes in Orange County, with 10 million dollar homes in the gated communities of the hills, homes built prior to 1900 in its central district — some being adobes from the 18th century, and working ranches in its foothills.

San Juan Capistrano is the site of a Catholic mission for which it is named, Mission San Juan Capistrano. When the Mission was founded in 1776, the region was populated by the Acjachemen band of Indians, called Juaneños by the Spanish. The mission was named after the Franciscan saint Giovanni da Capistrano (1386-1456).

The city is the site of California's oldest residential neighborhood, Los Rios. It is also the home of the oldest in use building in California, the Serra Chapel in the Mission. The area was the site of both the first vineyard and first winery in California.

In the 1830s Richard Henry Dana, Jr., author of the classic Two Years Before the Mast visited the area as a sailor engaged in the hide trade on board the ship Pilgrim. Describing the locale, which then included what is now the neighboring city of Dana Point, he gushed, "San Juan is the only romantic spot in California." The area was also the locale of the first Zorro novella, The Curse of Capistrano, published in 1919 (later renamed The Mark of Zorro after the success of the film of the same name).

San Juan Capistrano is also known for its Cliff Swallows. The protected birds are reputed to return from migration on St. Joseph's Day (March 19) each year, a day celebrated by the city's annual Swallows' Day Parade and other festive events. The are reputed to leave on October 23, the former feast day of St. John of Capistrano.

800px-Mission_San_Juan_Capistrano_4.jpg

The Mission

MissionBasilicaWEB.jpg

800px-Crossing_in_San_Juan_Capistra.jpg

^^ ooh kirsten, great pics! I toured the san juan capistrano Mission back in April when I went to Laguna!! Absolutely gorgeous. What a glorious place for you to call home.

There are a lot of interesting things about my city, but I guess the most famous/typical one is that we have the world's tallest freestanding structure.

Attachments

• 180px-Toronto's_CN_Tower.jpg
    180px-Toronto's_CN_Tower.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 19
Of course when you come to Seattle you can't miss the Space Needle...built for the 1962 Worlds Fair!

SpaceNeedle1-m.jpg

And of course the Pike Place Market on the Seattle waterfront is a don't miss. PLEASE don't call it "Pike's Market" , LOL...it's the Pike Place Market to us locals...

pike_place_market-420.jpg

Lamiastella - you're town is so gorgeous! I agree with the fairy tale comment. It's in Germany right? It looks very German LOL, in a good way!

hehe, yes it's in Germany :smile:

I didn't get to take pictures of the "inner city" because it was so stinking hot that day...Maybe when the weather gets nice again I'll take some more pictures

I love looking at these pics!! Um... is it bad I can't think of anything great in Columbus Ohio other than THE Ohio State University?!?! :yahoo:

main.php

I love looking at these pics!! Um... is it bad I can't think of anything great in Columbus Ohio other than THE Ohio State University?!?! :yahoo:

main.php

Ummm....maybe thats because Ohio State is the best in all of Ohio! Wait, all of America! DUH! :tup:
Im from Toledo, cant think of anything great there either lol.

I had marineland...also the least crime ridden city in the state (i think)
also, the nations best waterpolo goalie lives down the street. LOL.
my city is kinda boring.
i dont know who took this picture, but i got it from citydata.com
i dont know who this person thinks they are, going in my backyard and taking pics, (nobody in the whole neighborhood has the view from this angle.):P

Attachments

• cfiles17456.jpg
    cfiles17456.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 23
I was wondering if any one had an cute stories or interesting things, facts etc about where they live that they want to share (yes I'm bored)

I'll get the ball rolling

This (pic below) is the Angel of the North she is giant statue beside the motorway (freeway) she weighs 208 tonnes is 20 metres high and her wing span is 54 metres (about the same as a jumbo jet)
The Angel is made of copper which patina over time and eventually become the same colour as the statue of liberty, the Angels' lifespan is expected to be about 100 years
its actually made of corten steel.

i live in sunderland, a city near newcastle in the north east of england and it is UGLY.
the first electric guitar to be played in england was played at our theatre, the empire.
Sunderland%20Empire%201%20low%20res1152711313.jpg

heres a few of the city.
sunderland_bridges.jpg

the wearmouth bridge and railway bridge that links the 2 sides of the city and below is the marina
url

I live in Liverpool England here are a couple of pictures

These four guys come from here, you might know a few of their songs!

beatlesUSE-798387.jpg

Below is the Albert Dock it used to be for exporting stuff to all other countries but now has shops, bars, clubs, resuturants
albertdocks.jpg

Then we have two cathedrals the anglican and catholic cathedral at both at the opposite ends of a street called "Hope Street"
Liverpoolatnightimage.jpg

St Georges Hall is where years ago people were either sentenced to Prison or to hang (yikes)
St_G_hall.jpg

below is my fave place Goodison Park where Everton FC play football/Soccer
000BE6E7-02B2-1F70-8F9080BFB6FA0000.jpg

Image035.jpg

and then there is the waterfront and the famous Liver Buildings
liverbuidlings.jpg