Should you wait for an invoice first?

artiksun

Handbag Addict =)
Sep 26, 2006
I won an auction that ended at 3 AM this morning. I paid via PayPal (and a credit card) when I got the work before I had received an invoice from the seller. I've only done about 8 purchases on eBay before and I've never waited to receive an invoice before sending payment.

I'm concerned because this is a bag I've been searching for for months at a price I can afford. I asked the seller during the auction if she would consider adding a BIN price to the auction...and she said that she would accept $499 outright for the bag. Well, I declined that offer because I was pretty positive the auction would end a lot lower (it was no reserve). I won the bag for $255 (before shipping, insurance, etc.).

I haven't heard from the seller yet and I'm getting nervous that she might not send me the bag because the auction obviously ended at a much lower price than she wanted. I know I can always file a NPS strike if it comes down to that....but I really want this bag! She has 100% feedback (based on 73 scores...46 are as a seller) and seems to deal with shipping handbags pretty frequently.

During the auction, I asked the seller a few questions (one time around 9 AM and another time around 2 PM on different days) and she responded to both around 7:30 AM the day after I asked the question. Do some sellers only take care of eBay business at the same time each day? If I sent payment around 9 AM and missed her 7:30 AM eBay-business deadline, I guess I should assume I'll hear from her tomorrow morning....but I expected a quicker response once the auction was finished and it was time for payment, etc.

Excuse the rambling and thanks in advance for any words of wisdom! I'm not familiar with normal eBay time frames...I want this bag so bad it feels like it is taking forever! :s

I think you are getting nervous unnecessarily. You paid her and the next step is she sends you the bag. She doesn't need to send you an e-mail at this point. Most sellers are too busy for that amount of hand-holding for buyers. It's nice when sellers provide shipping information, but that doesn't always happen.

The fact that her item didn't sell for as much as she wanted for BIN is not a concern. She would have set a reserve price if she was unwilling to accept less. Congratulations on getting a good deal!:yes:

I have often gotten an invoice after I've paid (I think there is some delay in emails going out from ebay). It's definitely not something to be worried about. I'm sure you will have the bag in no time!

I think it typical to offer a BIN higher than the auction will likely go for because the seller is taking off the listing for you without knowing what it would have done for the rest of the time. I don't think it's anything to worry about that you won it for less than she wanted for BIN!

I always pay quickly. I don't wait for an invoice if I know the shipping.

As for her not emailing, I don't like that either. It makes me nervous to not know what's happening and then I start to wonder if they even know they got paid. They should just send out a quick email, it can be automated for goodness sake. It's the polite thing to do.