Should this wealthy executive's ex wife get more money?

Should the ex wife of this wealthy executive get more money?

• No, she was paid enough. They've been divorced 20 years.

• Yes, he should step up and do the right thing.

• They both sound like spoiled brats.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She is the mother of his child and sounds incapable of working (mental/emotional illness is still incapacitating). He has the money -- he should give her some.

MandM said:
I think the guy sounds like a royal jerk though, so good for her for any trouble she can cause him. I can't imagine someone writing a letter to a twelve year old cutting them out of the family. I would bet that by putting up with such nastiness the woman actually did earn 20+ years of support...

If he couldn't afford it and he wasn't a jerk, it would be different, but in this case he can cough over some money for his son's mother after he dumped them both.

I totally agree. I didn't like the letter he wrote his son. That's really harsh and ridiculous in my opinion. I don't much feel bad for this man.

20 years is plenty of time to:
a. get a job
b. get an education to procure a better job
c. invest wisely and live off the interest, dividends, etc. from the original settlement

And even if she can't work, why should the burden fall upon her ex from 20 yrs ago? She can live on government disability if need be.

creighbaby said:
my concern would be for the child. the father appears to be very petty if he refuses his son any contact. but i don't think he should pay more money 20-years later.
I think one needs to read between the lines. It appears the mother used the child to further her own gains for years. That's the sad part. Many fathers have to deal with this in high-conflict divorces and opt to detach from the children. The child in question is now 22 years old, and the article states the father set up a trust fund for him anyway. So by all accounts, the child has been provided for already.

I'm not trying to say the father is a nice guy. He probably isn't. But if he's met his legal obligation by paying child support AND has set up a trust fund, that's probably a lot better than what some kids get in the event of a divorce.

This woman is vindictive- and it is clear to me anyway that her mental illness/instability are behind her actions.

She sounds like a complete nutcase and probably does have a few psychological and maybe even some physical issues. These very issues may have resulted in behavior where she had to defend herself in a defamation suit. Either way, I still stand with the 20 years is more than enough time. If she was not as vindictive, he may have not felt such a stance against paying for her healthcare either.

But then again, maybe he's just a complete jerk and doesn't care about the mother of his child. But somehow, I just don't believe her.

i wonder how many of us would know what it is like to be Maureen Sullivan Stemberg? We forget, or don't know, that she comes from a background that was not a wealthy one, but a humble one... That said, one can draw oneself up esp. if in the right environment and the support of her loving family who cared about culture, the arts, literature, and more.

What bothers me here is that the focus on so much fiction and not enough hard fact. This is not an op-ed piece we are writing here kids, this is a story that involves several real people with real lives and affects each of their lives in a profound way, so with that in mind, i think we need to keep in mind some of the following facts (and these i have verified through court records after reading some of your comments which caused me to wonder, why such vitriole and hatred to Maureen Sullivan Stemberg??)

Point No. 1: After a ten + year marriage, out of those ten years, Stemberg (Tom) was fired three ttimes, and during those years, Maureen Sullivan Stemberg became one of the top 100 designers in the world based on sheer talent and marketing skills (she had not even finished college, unlike Tom Stemberg, who did attend Harvard B. School while his mother worked as a maid and a house companion to put him through - but what did he do?...

Tom Stemberg was out of work for three years, mostly spent in bed, prior to starting Staples and Maureen gave him, and this is his favorite line, "The Need", the need to get back to work. During this time, Maureeen Sullivan Stemberg had to manage the the running of her business, managing her child, her household, and supporting her husband's mental and emotional seeming exhaustion (as would later be described by Dola Hamilton Stemberg, Tom Stemberg's second wife and for whom he left Maureen, as having to live with yet "another child" - mostly owing to a substance abuse problem (according to Dola's divorce decree) and Maureen Sullivan Stemberg lived with this for ten years and covered it up. The greatest cover up ever. And yet Tom Stemberg is still going after Sullivan Stemberg and settled with Hamilton Stemberg... why?

Dola Hamilton Stemberg, Tom STemberg's second wife and for whom he left Maureen despite the fact that Maureen had been supporting the family, he had met Dola - an investment banker - so he must have gotten out of, then gotten back into, bed at some point. Note that after meeting and marrying Dola Hamilton, things went further downhill for Stemberg's son who, according to court documents that i have seen, was beaten and came home with a bloody nose after spending the weekend with the couple.

The child told the social worker who interviewed him that he was "a bad boy; he dilly-dallied." This is what Tom Stemberg and Dola Hamilton Stemberg offered Maureen's son - what i would call nothing, what you would call abuse? That's the word. Abuse. And this is while he and Maureen were still technically married.

Later, the school reported to DSS another incident of abuse at the Stemberg ranch that another child was being abused this time sexually (a son adopted by Dola Hamilton Stemberg and Tom Stemberg).

What ensued was a five year defamation case against Maureen Sullivan Stemberg because she made legitimate claims that her child was abused (there were further incidents). Maureen Sullivan Stemberg won and the case was dropped at the eleventh hour and Maureen Sullivan Stemberg was granted Abuse Of Process ~ which rarely, if ever, happens in this state or such cases at all.

There are many facts that will be apparent in the future - and this is just a sampling.

What is important to remember is that forget the gossip, forget your notions of pity; we are dealing with a strong woman who did and does have illness and cancer, who was and is not looking for sympathy OR empathy, only that the facts as they are be known, not mere speculative nonsense...

I'll add more: That Sullivan Stemberg has an autto-immune disease does make a difference - it is attacks from Tom Stemberg and even the public here that can be not only emotionally hurtful but can cause physical flare-ups in cases of Lupus or other auto-immune diseases (Tom Stemberg knows this because he is good friends with Mitt Romney, whose wife also has a serious autoimmune disease and would know much about 'flare-ups', esp. those caused by case.)

Note, that Tom Stemberg finally left Dola Hamilton Stemberg for Catherine Chapman O'Hara (and note: Catherine was pregnant at the time, so there is another girlfriend, but who was pregnant with her husband's child, while carrying on with Stemberg - what does this say of Stemberg's ethics...?)

Catherine left her husband and her three children in Canada to be with Tom Stemberg during which time she has the child by the husband, leaves Tom, and two years later during the divorce (sex, drugs and rock n roll all the way) Catherine Chapman O'Hare gave birth during the middle of the trial to Michael Stemberg.

Does anybody else find this man as comical as I do? He is yes, a threat and is dangerous if left to his own devices, but for the most part, he is simply pathetic and ought give his first wife her due after all he has put her through - a woman who helped make this man and covered up for him. She was the most loyal of the three... How funny then that it should come to this. Shame, Shame, Tom-cat.

Wow. This topic was bumped up after months in the archives, by a person with ONE post who registered today.... :rolleyes:

PS: The woman who is trying to get the money from her ex husband has articles and posts she's submitted all over the internet....

She got $5 million (in 1987 dollars!) and spent $4 million of it trying to get more from him and then failed. The sympathy train has derailed on this one, IMO.

Exactly. She could have taken the 5 mill, invested half and lived very well off the interest alone (A good advisor should easily have her getting over 100K in interest/year). Then had 2.5 mill for whatever else.

She had 20 years to plan for the rest of her life. He might be a dickhead, but he's not her father.

*Ugh, I just noticed this was an old thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.