should tennis bracelets be GIA cert?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I've often shopped for tennis bracelets over the years. Never finding one that really worked size wise and within budget. But in my years of off and on browsing, all the stores except for one - do not come with GIA cert. Diamonds are pretty small in my price range. Yesterday I found a bracelet I'm intrigued with, tcw around 3.50. Would you purchase a tennis bracelet without getting a GIA cert or knowing exact specs of stones? It costs around $4000. Thanks!

Depends on the stone size usually. Usually .5 or larger will, smaller not always. I don't know if the BGD ones are GIA reports, they are more likely to be AGS, just as reputable.

As Asscher already said, only 0.3 ct and above are certified. Reason has to do with the cost of each certification. I think (not sure about current pricing) the cost of GIA cert for each small diamond under 0.5 ct is about $50, and for 1ct range is about $100-$125. Therefore, for diamonds that cost only $300-$2000 each, the certification cost does not justify.

For the cost reason mentioned above, tennis bracelets that employ many small diamonds (quite often) do not have GIA/AGS certification. Whatever the color/clarity/cut spec the jeweler tells you is based on his/her words only, and there is no guarantee about what you really get. The only ways to ensure what you want are 1. Go with trusted vendors like Brain Gavin's or Whiteflash who have strict standards on their in house, signature diamond melees, and 2. shop in person and use your own eyes to judge, providing that 1. You are not fooled by the store lighting, and 2. You know how to look for best diamonds.

Other than trusted vendors, you need to know your taste/preferences. For example, what setting type do you prefer, Classic 4-prong, or 3-prong (spaced further apart, and thus less diamonds needed), or others? Next, just like your Engagement ring, you need to decide the optimum color, clarity, cut, and melee size for your budget.

Lastly and most importantly, you need to ask yourself if you want an average quality, everyday bracelet or a top quality, forever piece? The answer will help you decide your bracelet and vendor choices.

For an average quality bracelet, I recommend you visit IDJewlery (NYC) in person and ask for "PS (Pricescope) quality" diamonds. I think IDJ diamonds are good for their affordable prices. if you are like me who want a forever keepsake (no matter how small the diamond melees are), you may want to call up either Brian Gavin's Diamonds or Whiteflash to inquire about their pricing (to see what they can do for you for your budget and ctw.

For your reference, here are the listed pricing from IDJ and WF.

IDJ Classic 4-prong 3.90 ctw (65 6-pt melees) for $3,476. F color Si clarity
IDJ Classic 4-prong 4.65 ctw (62 7.5-pt melees) for $4,039, F color Si clarity
IDJ 3-prong 3.36 ctw (56 6-pt melees) for $3,180, F color Si clarity
IDJ 3-prong 4.41 ctw (49 9-pt melees) for $4,065, F color Si clarity

WF 3-prong 3ctw (54 5.4-pt melees) for $4,341, F VS
WF 3-prong 4ctw (47 8.5-pt melees) for $5,798 F VS

Note 1 - The RATE of price increase is bigger for larger melees. Thus, the price increase is more for larger melees than larger total carat weight.
Note 2 - The cut quality of BGD and WF melees are top/superior, and hence the higher price. I have compared both PS quality IDJ diamonds and WF diamonds (15-pt and 20-pt) side by side. The cut difference is readily observable. Don't get me wrong, I would still recommend IDJ diamonds to others, because they are really good for the price. However, for myself who do not buy tennis bracelets everyday, I do not mind stretching my budget a little to get the better cut, WF diamond tennis bracelet. Every time I wear my bracelet, I feel joy and enjoy viewing the bright, white, and sparkling diamonds on my wrist.

Good luck with your shopping.

As Asscher already said, only 0.3 ct and above are certified. Reason has to do with the cost of each certification. I think (not sure about current pricing) the cost of GIA cert for each small diamond under 0.5 ct is about $50, and for 1ct range is about $100-$125. Therefore, for diamonds that cost only $300-$2000 each, the certification cost does not justify.

For the cost reason mentioned above, tennis bracelets that employ many small diamonds (quite often) do not have GIA/AGS certification. Whatever the color/clarity/cut spec the jeweler tells you is based on his/her words only, and there is no guarantee about what you really get. The only ways to ensure what you want are 1. Go with trusted vendors like Brain Gavin's or Whiteflash who have strict standards on their in house, signature diamond melees, and 2. shop in person and use your own eyes to judge, providing that 1. You are not fooled by the store lighting, and 2. You know how to look for best diamonds.

Other than trusted vendors, you need to know your taste/preferences. For example, what setting type do you prefer, Classic 4-prong, or 3-prong (spaced further apart, and thus less diamonds needed), or others? Next, just like your Engagement ring, you need to decide the optimum color, clarity, cut, and melee size for your budget.

Lastly and most importantly, you need to ask yourself if you want an average quality, everyday bracelet or a top quality, forever piece? The answer will help you decide your bracelet and vendor choices.

For an average quality bracelet, I recommend you visit IDJewlery (NYC) in person and ask for "PS (Pricescope) quality" diamonds. I think IDJ diamonds are good for their affordable prices. if you are like me who want a forever keepsake (no matter how small the diamond melees are), you may want to call up either Brian Gavin's Diamonds or Whiteflash to inquire about their pricing (to see what they can do for you for your budget and ctw.

For your reference, here are the listed pricing from IDJ and WF.

IDJ Classic 4-prong 3.90 ctw (65 6-pt melees) for $3,476. F color Si clarity
IDJ Classic 4-prong 4.65 ctw (62 7.5-pt melees) for $4,039, F color Si clarity
IDJ 3-prong 3.36 ctw (56 6-pt melees) for $3,180, F color Si clarity
IDJ 3-prong 4.41 ctw (49 9-pt melees) for $4,065, F color Si clarity

WF 3-prong 3ctw (54 5.4-pt melees) for $4,341, F VS
WF 3-prong 4ctw (47 8.5-pt melees) for $5,798 F VS

Note 1 - The RATE of price increase is bigger for larger melees. Thus, the price increase is more for larger melees than larger total carat weight.
Note 2 - The cut quality of BGD and WF melees are top/superior, and hence the higher price. I have compared both PS quality IDJ diamonds and WF diamonds (15-pt and 20-pt) side by side. The cut difference is readily observable. Don't get me wrong, I would still recommend IDJ diamonds to others, because they are really good for the price. However, for myself who do not buy tennis bracelets everyday, I do not mind stretching my budget a little to get the better cut, WF diamond tennis bracelet. Every time I wear my bracelet, I feel joy and enjoy viewing the bright, white, and sparkling diamonds on my wrist.

Good luck with your shopping.

Very informative. Thanks for posting. I would like to get a tennis for my anni next year.