Should She Toile?

Lady_S

Jul 11, 2014
Hello Ladies,

My friend has been given an offer to buy a 2007 Etoupe Toile B35 from a very trusted reseller for 8500 usd. The B (even though vintage) is very well cared for by the previous owner. It's only got some minor wear on the edges and a few scratches on the foot stud. She is buying this on behalf of her dad as a wedding anniversary gift to her mom who has an elbow problem. This makes a "lighter" birkin a good choice for her.

However, she is wanting some opinion as to whether a 2007 Toile Birkin is worth this price?

Any thoughts? :smile:

IMO a toile/leather B is not much lighter than a full leather B. I would recommend a B30 rather than a 35 for your friend's Mom, especially with her elbow problem. B35 in any leather, whether Box or Swift is still rather heavy even when it's empty, though not as heavy as Clemence for example.

I have always thought that toile hard to care for...once get dirty, not easily wipe off / stain, etc
my birkins are 35s clemence, togo, and epsom -- I would have to say epsom is the lightest of all
may be she should get epsom if there is no preference in leather or 30 in other leathers

hope that helps

Can't say personally how much lighter toile is but I've always stayed away because of I'm afraid to get it dirty. Are your friend and her dad firm in their choice of a B? I'd have thought a kelly with a shoulder strap would be easier for her mom to carry. She can hand/arm carry as well as hang on the shoulder if her elbow troubles her. Pricing of a pre-loved items are always dependent on a number of factors: color, size, HW, condition, rarity, etc. I found from personal experience that buyers pay what they think the bag is worth to them for what they're getting. Let us know what she decides.

Hello Ladies,

My friend has been given an offer to buy a 2007 Etoupe Toile B35 from a very trusted reseller for 8500 usd. The B (even though vintage) is very well cared for by the previous owner. It's only got some minor wear on the edges and a few scratches on the foot stud. She is buying this on behalf of her dad as a wedding anniversary gift to her mom who has an elbow problem. This makes a "lighter" birkin a good choice for her.

However, she is wanting some opinion as to whether a 2007 Toile Birkin is worth this price?

Any thoughts? :smile:

Hmmmm. I think the worth is dependent on the condition it's in. Toile/leather is beautiful but personally I would get an all-leather Birkin in a lighter leather (like Epsom) or even better, look for a 30. A 30 in Epsom would actually be ideal if you're looking for something light(er).

One of my Kelly's is a vintage toile and I love it, however you have to be mindful of the toile because it can stain easily and is hard to clean. If this is going to be her primary bag then I would say pass. If it is going to be for occasional use, then go for it!

<---the bag is in my pic over here lol

I have an older toile Market Bag. I fling it around, never clean it (after the first time when I got it), wear it with jeans, take it around the grimy city, sit it on floors . . . and the toile looks great. Toile is not delicate, especially if a relatively recent model since the toile has been treated against staining.

The two most beautiful Birkins in the world IMHO is toile/neutral leather and full natural barenia. The bag sounds very beautiful.

Reactions: doni
Thanks everyone!

Seems like we have some mixed reviews about toile (in regards as to whether it is hard to maintain it)

I think her dad was hinted that a 35cm would be the size wanted. So kelly + 30cm might not be the ideal choice (both amazing bags i agree)

Thanks about the "epsom" idea! Can explore that too &#128524;

If anyone has anymore input, im sure it would be greatly appreciated!

I think if it is to be her mom's one and only Birkin, then better to go for an all-leather one rather than toile. I agree epsom is a good choice - maintains shape and is light - and you can also check out courchevel which is the predecessor to epsom. I have seen some gold courchevel birkins in excellent condition from the 90's go for around 5-6k usd. Avoid togo and clemence because they are heavy in a 35 - I got my one 35 B recently (my rest are 30) in clemence and it's like hauling around luggage, my arm is definitely strained at the end of the day.

I think if it is to be her mom's one and only Birkin, then better to go for an all-leather one rather than toile. I agree epsom is a good choice - maintains shape and is light - and you can also check out courchevel which is the predecessor to epsom. I have seen some gold courchevel birkins in excellent condition from the 90's go for around 5-6k usd. Avoid togo and clemence because they are heavy in a 35 - I got my one 35 B recently (my rest are 30) in clemence and it's like hauling around luggage, my arm is definitely strained at the end of the day.

Thanks so much for your input because I was actually thinking about clemence for her too! That rules it out completely.

Hmm as for her mom. I think she has a lot of handbags for daily use. So i guess the birkin would be used during the weekends only?

Light, keeping it shape and chic is certainly the top 3 criteria. So toile and epsom is something to be considered! Thanks again!

Btw Do you reckon a brand new toile is hard to come by nowadays?

Thanks so much for your input because I was actually thinking about clemence for her too! That rules it out completely.

Hmm as for her mom. I think she has a lot of handbags for daily use. So i guess the birkin would be used during the weekends only?

Light, keeping it shape and chic is certainly the top 3 criteria. So toile and epsom is something to be considered! Thanks again!

Btw Do you reckon a brand new toile is hard to come by nowadays?

Brand new Toile Birkin is quite hard to come by in the store. I don't have one myself but contrast to common belief, it is actually not easy to get dirty, as told by my trusted H craftswoman. And they can be cleaned via spa. It is definitely lighter than all leather but I prefer it to be a summer bag. I also think maybe an epsom leather birkin is a better choice ONLY if you like the leather in a larger bag (35B).

Brand new Toile Birkin is quite hard to come by in the store. I don't have one myself but contrast to common belief, it is actually not easy to get dirty, as told by my trusted H craftswoman. And they can be cleaned via spa. It is definitely lighter than all leather but I prefer it to be a summer bag. I also think maybe an epsom leather birkin is a better choice ONLY if you like the leather in a larger bag (35B).

Thank you for the advice!! Much appreciated!!

If you're going the reseller route, another lighter bag to consider is box. Box is beautiful and classic and lighter than clemence and togo. However, it is not for the faint of heart and does require some maintenance.

A toile Birkin is a gorgeous thing. that said, there is a difference between a toile Birkin and a toile shoulder bag. Most people carry a B on the crook of their arm and thus the bag takes a lot of friction from clothing. So, for instance, if Mom wears jeans or anything else that is likely to colour transfer, I wouldn't recommend toile in a Birkin. If it is a weekend bag, it will take a lot of casual use so all leather seems like a better choice :flowers: