Should I wait or should I take the plunge?

ShyShy

O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
I have been obsessing about a bois de rose birkin 30 for months. Since this color is seasonal I am pretty sure my chances of getting this will be close to zero at the boutique.

I actually called very early on to try to waitlist for this color but the SA said they don't have that color and it won't be coming in so I did not insist on putting my name down (it's hard to waitlist for a color that the SAs didn't seem to know at the time). After some time passed, I was finally able to place my name on the wait list. Unfortunately for me, I found out later that the SA who took my name did not enter my name into the system or she did not do it correctly (don't know which one exactly) so they had to do it again. This happened a couple of months ago so even then when they put my name down properly I think it was too late... I spoke to the SM, she was very nice but she did not sound hopeful since she's received her batch of bois de rose birkins and sold them to those on the waitlist at the time.

So now I am considering getting one from a reseller. The thing is it will cost me around US$21,000 to get it. It is almost the price of 2 birkins! I know H comes out with lots of pinks like rose shocking, rose tyrien, bubblegum pink, fuschia, etc but they are all too bright for me. I keep thinking, for US$21,000 or more I could seriously consider getting an ostrich birkin instead. Does anyone know if H will come out with another dusty pink? I mean, it would be a dream for me to own a pink birkin (I only currently own an etoupe birkin, gold shoudler birkin and etoupe lindy) but I am not sure muted pinks are as common as brights... should I take the plunge with the reseller or wait and see if H will come out with another dusty pink?

there is always the route of SO-ing, have you thought about that? if you spent 10k on something else in the store, your SA will most likely allow you to SO. Talk to SA about it, i personally think this way you can get your bag you want and a whole bunch of other beautiful things to come with it =)

I'm in sort of the same place as you....I really want a 35 Birkin Clemence in Bougainvillea (sp?)...there's one online that I'm dying over (only one I've seen available) but it's $18,500. I just don't know if I can justify paying that much to a reseller when I could get it from Hermes for around $10,000.....so torn.... I would love to know what you decide to do...

I can't justify paying twice the amount for anything even w/ disposable income ..
Go for an ostrich something ..

Do you have to have bois de rose in a birkin, have you considered the GP in BdR?
They are just as beautiful ..
Perhaps, you can get an ostrich something and get a BdR in a GP which has similar dimension to a B .. just a thought ..

there is always the route of SO-ing, have you thought about that? if you spent 10k on something else in the store, your SA will most likely allow you to SO. Talk to SA about it, i personally think this way you can get your bag you want and a whole bunch of other beautiful things to come with it =)

I have thought about doing an SO but it seems as if the boutique SA is not willing to help me out. I was hoping to speak to the SM about it (I keep kicking myself for not asking her when I was speaking to her about it) but can't seem to get hold of her. If I have time I'll try calling again tomorrow.

I personally don't pay such high price to get what I want. I will wait. I think your "true love" will come again. In the meantime, you can still enjoy your birkins and lindy.:smile:

I can't justify paying twice the amount for anything even w/ disposable income ..
Go for an ostrich something ..

Do you have to have bois de rose in a birkin, have you considered the GP in BdR?
They are just as beautiful ..
Perhaps, you can get an ostrich something and get a BdR in a GP which has similar dimension to a B .. just a thought ..

I know right? My dream one would be a bois de rose in fjord but the only one I could find from a reseller is a bois de rose in clemence and at this price I am really having a hard time justifying it (well, apart from the fact that I love it!).

I wouldn't mind a bois de rose lindy 30 but I am not a GP person... I am hoping to get a yellow or orange lindy instead though...

I am of two minds right now. Part of me really wants the bois de rose birkin but another part of me thinks I should wait and hopefully see another similar color. I don't particularly 'need' an ostrich birkin right now since I have a toddler in tow, it's more of a comparison in my head that's making me think it's crazy to spend US$21,000 on a clemence B30....

Aye... I am driving myself crazy I swear.

I'm in sort of the same place as you....I really want a 35 Birkin Clemence in Bougainvillea (sp?)...there's one online that I'm dying over (only one I've seen available) but it's $18,500. I just don't know if I can justify paying that much to a reseller when I could get it from Hermes for around $10,000.....so torn.... I would love to know what you decide to do...

Dear Genie, I feel for you! I have told myself over the months that I just can't take the plunge and yet I keep coming back to it...

I am sorry I am new to Hermes. Could you explain what you mean with SO-ing ? Thanks

Im sorry but i could not justify giving resellers such a high markup, would rather have an exotic or 2 Birkins please try and get hold of the SM and try and get a SO in your special colour, good luck

I agree that a small mark-up is ok, but paying double the price is obscene and some of these resellers seem to be really taking advantage. I often buy SLG's in those yummy colors to give me the "fix" I need. I had a huge Bougainvillea craving and I was on a list for an bag that never came in. I grabbed a Bougainvillea Calvi that scratched the itch and I no longer even think about a bag in that color. I try to keep my bags more "classic", and I have accumulated a nice little rainbow of SLG's.

You could try negotiating with the seller and see just how motivated they are; make an appointment with the store manager re a special order.

I feel your pain as I wish upon every shooting star for a bougainvillea kelly in a smaller size. It's even on a wish list, or it is supposed to be.

Good luck to everyone in 2012 finding your most desired purse!

I think it depends on how long you are willing to wait. You would be paying the crazy premium price not for the bag, but for the privilege to get it *right now*. It depends if bypassing the potential waiting time for a SO or to find it again through a reseller at a better price, is worth $21k. I just a got a Lagoon Birkin, which seems to be a pretty rare color. In the past 4 years I have been searching for one, I have seen it listed for just as high as your rose birkin is now. I never gave in, since no matter how much cash I had to spend, I found it insulting to pay 2X as much... but I also wasn't in a hurry. I was patient and finally one popped up at a much smaller markup.

Also you mentioned ostrich for the same price, or getting 2 other birkins for that price but not in the rose-- another question to ask is, would either of those options make you as happy as having one rose birkin? that would be the argument to pay the markup, i suppose.

I know it is a hard choice to make! Good luck, let us know what you decide.