Should I upgrade my engagement ring?

lalame

O.G.
Apr 30, 2011
Hi ladies, could really use some advice as I've been going back and forth on this for months now. I'm considering either "upgrading" my engagement ring or getting a Cartier Love/VCA 5 motif bracelet. I suppose it's more like which to get now and which to wait several years for. I've only been married for 2 years but we got engaged a few years before that and, at the time, I didn't have any other friends who were engaged and I just wasn't very knowledgeable about jewelry. I got a ring that was kind of trendy and picked a carat size I thought was appropriate. Now, I can't help but ogle other people's rings! I have probably the smallest diamond of all my friends despite being in a much better financial position. I feel I'm being vain and materialistic so haven't asked any of them for advice. :sad:

Current ring is pictured below. It's a 1.25 center diamond with halo on a 5.25 ring size. I'm considering getting a 2-2.1 ct lab diamond on plain band, which would cost less than my original ring because the price of lab diamonds have declined significantly. I'd probably sell my current ring at a 50-60% loss but it pays for a decent amount of the new ring.

1619893808558.png

My husband thinks it's a waste of money to upgrade my ring and I should focus my energy on growing my collection with new items instead, like the bracelet. Logically, it would make sense for me to get the bracelet first as those items get more expensive every year while lab diamonds may be declining every year. But does anyone else think differently? I am the type of person who wears my engagement ring every day (pre-covid), and I would wear whichever bracelet I got 24/7 if it helps. TIA!

For comparison, here's a photo I took with a 2.2 ct solitaire ring at Tiffany. No, I wouldn't get my ring at Tiffany - was just having some fun with an SA while we were waiting for my jewelry to get cleaned. Not to mention the Tiffany band always makes my fingers look like fat sausages (and this is a size 6 ring). :lol:

1619894580707.png

I think it all depends on the sentimental value you attach to your engagement ring, I got mine over 28 years ago and it does seem rather small now but my DH choose it as a surprise and I would never change it even though we could now afford a better quality ring. However, I have recently chosen a wonderful eternity ring which I love :biggrin:

Edit: Btw I think your engagement ring is lovely.

Last edited:
I'd keep the diamond you have and grow your collection. I'm not a fan of lab grown diamonds. I think the market will and maybe is flooded with them. Seems more likely it will depreciate.

I think nothing when I see women with smaller diamonds rings yet wearing VCA or anything else. I always think if they can afford that, then they could afford a bigger ring if they wanted, but love what they have. I hope that helps with your vain feelings. We all have them. :lol:

ETA: I think your ring is gorgeous and looks lovely on your hand. I have the same issue with Tiffany bands, too.

I think it all depends on the sentimental value you attach to your engagement ring, I got mine over 28 years ago and it does seem rather small now but my DH choose it as a surprise and I would never change it even though we could now afford a better quality ring. However, I have recently chosen a wonderful eternity ring which I love :biggrin:

Edit: Btw I think your engagement ring is lovely.

I'm not really sentimental (in general) so it's more of a logical or financial issue I suppose. I DO feel a little lame about trading in a ring after just 2 years of marriage but that might be a logical issue again more than sentimentality. :smile:

Thank you for sharing!

I think your original engagement ring is beautiful! For me, my husband has also offered to ‘upgrade’ my engagement ring a few times, especially when he sees rings purchased by other friends and acquaintances, now that we have prospered financially compared to when we were engaged. I have always said no because there is no need for me. I love my original ring and it has sentimental value to me, capturing the moment when he asked me to be his wife.

lol I feel the same way about Tiffany solitaire bands! I was like "WOAH this thing is super unflattering on my hand" and my husband agreed 100%

I wouldn't go lab-grown diamond personally because I just like the knowledge that the diamond I have is natural (and hopefully, fingers crossed, ethically sourced!). If you have the means and want to upgrade, though, do so! If you know it's a piece you'll wear every day and love every day, then make sure it's 100% perfect for you before you move on to growing your collection because if you don't, it'll still be a thing you want to improve. it will still nag at you.

Reactions: lalame
lol I feel the same way about Tiffany solitaire bands! I was like "WOAH this thing is super unflattering on my hand" and my husband agreed 100%

I thought I was going crazy! It looks so nice on other people's fingers, but no matter how much I sized up it always looked like it was squeezing the life out of me. Here's me wearing a size 6.5 - more than 1 size bigger than normal! Wtf? :lol:

1619901985717.png

• Haha
Reactions: glendaPLEASE
I love my engagement/ bridal set, but if my husband would let me upgrade, I would be out the door so fast!!! LoL. I just love diamonds, but I would not trade a genuine diamond for a lab grown. I guess I don't know enough about lab grown, so I apologize if I offend anyone.
Like everyone else said, your ring is beautiful. If I were given that choice, I would upgrade to a genuine diamond. That's my opinion.

I would not purchase a lab grow diamond either. Your natural diamond is gorgeous and while a larger lab diamond will have more presence on your hand, it will continue to decrease in value. I honestly feel that you may regret the decision to sell your original ring. Somethings have more value to you, when they are gone. It’s just my opinion. Please share your final decision ☺️

My last ring had a 1ct center stone, I don’t think 1ct is small. IMO your halo set is beautiful. I upgraded to just over 2ct and I think it’s the perfect size for me! With that being said, you have to do what will make you happiest!