Should I Trust Sellers from Japan?

I don't understand why 'Asian' countries are associated with fake products. If you'd ever been to Japan, you'll see that everyone carries authentic goods. Japan has strict legislation regarding the sale and purchase of counterfeit goods, and it is thoroughly enforced. In fact, there are way more fakes in the US (per capita) than in Japan.

And by the way, China does not have any larger market for fakes than any other country. I mean, China and Japan are the world's top consumers of luxury products. Put two and two together.

And also, I authenticate on the LV forum, and can without a doubt, tell you that most LV products coming from Japan that we end up authenticating are genuine. Whereas about a quarter of those coming from the US, Australia etc. are fake.

Also, please be careful with your wording when posting. Many of us tPFers are Asian, and some of us take serious offence to such ignorant generalisations. I know I did.

Very good post.

;)

Reactions: luxurylucy
Japanese ladies take brand name bags very seriously. Every time I was in Tokyo I always drooled over the bags they carried on the trains.

As for China, I went to Shanghai last year and we were taken to a market where they sell fake brand name stuffs and I found no high end brand name fakes there. On the walls, there were posters saying that something like the products that copy these brands (follow by many name and logo-- Chanel, Gucci, Prada... etc) are illegal. I think the fact that more and more high end brands open their flagships in China forces them to clean up the underground market?

Japanese ladies take brand name bags very seriously. Every time I was in Tokyo I always drooled over the bags they carried on the trains.

As for China, I went to Shanghai last year and we were taken to a market where they sell fake brand name stuffs and I found no high end brand name fakes there. On the walls, there were posters saying that something like the products that copy these brands (follow by many name and logo-- Chanel, Gucci, Prada... etc) are illegal. I think the fact that more and more high end brands open their flagships in China forces them to clean up the underground market?

The Chinese Government has taken a new anti-counterfeiting initiative recently focussing on 'designer bags and accessories' and counterfeit DVDs, seizing sizeable amounts of counterfeit goods and destroying them (as well as prosecuting the offenders). Maybe it is having a strong impact?

I don't understand why 'Asian' countries are associated with fake products. If you'd ever been to Japan, you'll see that everyone carries authentic goods. Japan has strict legislation regarding the sale and purchase of counterfeit goods, and it is thoroughly enforced. In fact, there are way more fakes in the US (per capita) than in Japan.

And by the way, China does not have any larger market for fakes than any other country. I mean, China and Japan are the world's top consumers of luxury products. Put two and two together.

And also, I authenticate on the LV forum, and can without a doubt, tell you that most LV products coming from Japan that we end up authenticating are genuine. Whereas about a quarter of those coming from the US, Australia etc. are fake.

Also, please be careful with your wording when posting. Many of us tPFers are Asian, and some of us take serious offence to such ignorant generalisations. I know I did.
:yes:

Firstly, I would like to say that I had lived in North America, Latin American, Europe, now in Asia.

I agree that Japan has very strict laws regarding selling luxury goods and most of them are 200% authentic. You see more of the Japanese sellers(which they registered under USA ebay as there is no Japan ebay) on line and in shops. As far as Hong Kong/China is concerned, majority of the sellers are done so at the stores/shops rather than online, although there are a handful of them do try to do so online, such as brandoff (which they do so, both online and offline/shops), Lets-trade (which I met them in person while in HK, as they are willing to come to your hotel lobby to wheel and deal). I have to say that the conditions of the bags from HK are excellent condition and mostly very uptodate styles, some are even new and at a very good price. Thus, while some people maybe scare of dealing with China/HK sellers, based on my own experience, they are very good...

Last edited:
Agreed totally with Awwgeez! There are fake products being sold here in Japan but i dont think they are selling it in the Ebay although i found them in Japan's type of 'ebay'. The link you put in ei Daikokuya is reliable and they are big 2nd handshop here in Tokyo with retail shops and different office handling internet sales. But no harm to authenticate their products.:biggrin:

I dont see why not. There are bad apples from any country you buy from, not just Japan, you need to authenticate whatever you purchase, before hand, and check out the seller's reputation. But I dont see the need to write off an entire country

Japan have their auction site too and anybody could put their stuffs in to be sold. One thing dangerous about the website in Japan is they allows fakes to be sold here. Fakes like hermes replica, hermes lookalikes like example below but this B carrys a different name but they are fakes that uses hermes exact name. I should have saved that bag in my wishlist cos I almost bought that bag!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I read somewhere in the net, Japan allows fake to be sold here on a personal basis. Dont know what's that mean though.

Firstly, I would like to say that I had lived in North America, Latin American, Europe, now in Asia.

I agree that Japan has very strict laws regarding selling luxury goods and most of them are 200% authentic. You see more of the Japanese sellers(which they registered under USA ebay as there is no Japan ebay) on line and in shops. As far as Hong Kong/China is concerned, majority of the sellers are done so at the stores/shops rather than online, although there are a handful of them do try to do so online, such as brandoff (which they do so, both online and offline/shops), Lets-trade (which I met them in person while in HK, as they are willing to come to your hotel lobby to wheel and deal). I have to say that the conditions of the bags from HK are excellent condition and mostly very uptodate styles, some are even new and at a very good price. Thus, while some people maybe scare of dealing with China/HK sellers, based on my own experience, they are very good...

Last edited by a moderator:
Japan have their auction site too and anybody could put their stuffs in to be sold. One thing dangerous about the website in Japan is they allows fakes to be sold here. Fakes like hermes replica, hermes lookalikes like example below but this B carrys a different name but they are fakes that uses hermes exact name. I should have saved that bag in my wishlist cos I almost bought that bag!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I read somewhere in the net, Japan allows fake to be sold here on a personal basis. Dont know what's that mean though.

Thanks for the warning...usually I dont go on the local Japanese sites as unfortunately, I cannot read Japanese. Regarding the Japanese sellers on ebay. I had met up with one of them last year and she told me that usually they get there inventory at an auction house, which one required to be registered and have licensce to attend. And the Chanel items also being used as a token via gambling houses as a mean of trade as gambling with money is illegal ???...this is what I was told ?.

The legitimate sellers would have proper license to sell 2nd hand branded goods, so it's true the person you met is licensed. And yes, gambling with money isnt allow here but you can exchange with goods, HOWEVER, the trick is you can re-exchange the goods you got back to $$$. This method was meant for their PACHINKO gaming centre before, but not sure if they have changed anything now. Better safe than sorry, authenticate b4 you buy!:biggrin:

Thanks for the warning...usually I dont go on the local Japanese sites as unfortunately, I cannot read Japanese. Regarding the Japanese sellers on ebay. I had met up with one of them last year and she told me that usually they get there inventory at an auction house, which one required to be registered and have licensce to attend. And the Chanel items also being used as a token via gambling houses as a mean of trade as gambling with money is illegal ???...this is what I was told ?.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry, this is not true. Fakes are not allowed to be sold in Japan under any conditions. :police:

Reactions: dimondgirl1
I personally loved buying from Japanese sellers, the bags always authentic, shipping cost very effective, sellers shipped item very fast too, normally I received within 3 days to Aus.
I have never have problem buying from them..

I have purchased from Daikokuya numerous times through eBay and from Brand Off using Rakuten and have been very pleased. Daikokuya is very good at describing the condition of their items and even state if the items smell of mold and how strong the odor is. I love these Japanese sellers because often times they have really good deals and are very professional and polite.

As for the original poster, I really don't think she meant to be offensive at all but I do understand how it could've been interpreted negatively. Here is the US, you can buy fake designer handbags at malls and most of the sellers are from China, so I understand why she would ask this question. And not to mention the fact that the majority of fakes are produced in Asian countries. But if it wasn't for the high demand of fakes in the Western world, the fakes wouldn't be produced at all. So in the end, you can find fakes anywhere and it's important to get your items authenticated first.