Should I Start Buying New Clothes?

Thank you all very much for your replies it has been most helpful and has stopped me running out and buying lots of things to make myself feel better. With hindsight that would have probably not have been a wise move on my part.

A very good question C. J. I did not think of this myself and to be honest I don't now exactly. I lost roughly 40 lbs and have managed to put some of that back on. I'm currently 120 -125 lbs my scales aren't the best.

I would say I've lost mainly fat; I don't want to give the impression I'm some big muscular guy I'm not. I'm quite slender I suppose but you can see my abdominal muscles now so I must have lost a fair bit of fat from my abdomen area and other places.

As for my wardrobe I guess I wear what one would consider more formal or old fashioned attire a great deal of the time. Although I do wear sweaters etc and on occasion suits I normally wear a shirt, a scarf or tie, trousers perhaps a waistcoat or jacket that sort of thing.

I don't own running shoes or sports pants come to think of it I don't even own shorts.

I have a good job and good income have done for many years so I have never shopped at "more affordable" places. At least not since I was a child when my family had no money. I know that must make me sound like a horrible stuck up snob but I'm clueless about shopping really unless it's somewhere I've been before with someone else. I have terrible anxiety problems linked to my illness. I haven't heard of the stores mentioned but I'll look them up on Google see if they are near by and have a look, see what they have. :smile:

Hopefully knowing what I wear perhaps some of you can come back and advise me some more on what to do it would be greatly appreciated. My friends all tell me I should just buy new clothes but they are shopaholics... :P

Thank you all for your time and for the kind wishes it means a lot to me it really does. :smile:

Best Wishes,

L'enfer

Have you tried net-a-porter or stylebop? They sell designer clothes online and have a great return service. I also like that they show the items from different views. Good luck!

Aren't they awesome??

btw, they did some more markdowns last night ;)

I've received my last order last week, but I'll give a look since I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and want to get nice designer clothes.
And their seat is about 50 km far from my town, so I get my order in 2 days with standard shipping :biggrin:

I've received my last order last week, but I'll give a look since I'm rebuilding my wardrobe and want to get nice designer clothes.
And their seat is about 50 km far from my town, so I get my order in 2 days with standard shipping :biggrin:

Oh nice! I'm think we should start a thread on yoox goodies people have purchased- we have a sale thread but one in General Shopping would be nice!

Thank you all very much for your replies it has been most helpful and has stopped me running out and buying lots of things to make myself feel better. With hindsight that would have probably not have been a wise move on my part.

A very good question C. J. I did not think of this myself and to be honest I don't now exactly. I lost roughly 40 lbs and have managed to put some of that back on. I'm currently 120 -125 lbs my scales aren't the best.

I would say I've lost mainly fat; I don't want to give the impression I'm some big muscular guy I'm not. I'm quite slender I suppose but you can see my abdominal muscles now so I must have lost a fair bit of fat from my abdomen area and other places.

As for my wardrobe I guess I wear what one would consider more formal or old fashioned attire a great deal of the time. Although I do wear sweaters etc and on occasion suits I normally wear a shirt, a scarf or tie, trousers perhaps a waistcoat or jacket that sort of thing.

I don't own running shoes or sports pants come to think of it I don't even own shorts.

I have a good job and good income have done for many years so I have never shopped at "more affordable" places. At least not since I was a child when my family had no money. I know that must make me sound like a horrible stuck up snob but I'm clueless about shopping really unless it's somewhere I've been before with someone else. I have terrible anxiety problems linked to my illness. I haven't heard of the stores mentioned but I'll look them up on Google see if they are near by and have a look, see what they have. :smile:

Hopefully knowing what I wear perhaps some of you can come back and advise me some more on what to do it would be greatly appreciated. My friends all tell me I should just buy new clothes but they are shopaholics... :P

Thank you all for your time and for the kind wishes it means a lot to me it really does. :smile:

Best Wishes,

L'enfer

Alot of us on this thread aspire to have well edited wardrobes of quality pieces. This is a good opportunity for you to do this. You may want to find a personal shopper/stylist in your area that can help you. Some of the larger stores near you may have one that is offered as a complimentary service. Or perhaps you have a good relationship with a sales person at a store you've shopped at previously. They will be able to help you with key pieces and trends.

This is an example of a service that is available for virtual styling; I am not endorsing them as I haven't used them, but it may be a good option for you.

http://www.urbandarling.com/virtual-styling

I'm wondering why precisely you are trying to gain weight.
Is it because your current weight is too low from a medical standpoint? Do you dislike your current appearance? Or is it because you just want to fit into your old clothing again?

Let's assume that your weight will go up significantly in the not too distant future. In that case I would stay away from investing a lot of money in a new wardrobe. Instead just buy something that fits which could be donoated or resold after your weight is up again.

As long as your current weight is not requiring medical treatment you might try to accept it as it is instead of forcing a weight gain with a diet consisting of chocolate and so on.

And should you feel uncomfortable leaving your home to go shopping due to your wardrobe being limited to loungewear at best there's always online shopping.
yoox.com was already mentioned, thecorner.com and farfetch.com I can recommend from personal experience, mrporter.com (the male equivalent to net-a-porter I believe) looks promising as well.

I hope this helps somewhat. :smile:

Again I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to participate in this thread. The feedback has been super far beyond what I expected so thank you all. :smile:

Have you tried net-a-porter or stylebop? They sell designer clothes online and have a great return service. I also like that they show the items from different views. Good luck!

Sorry for not making it clear I'm sure I said so in a previous post on this thread but I could be mistaken. I am male and as far as I know Net-A-Porter sells women's clothing's exclusively no? However you reminded me of the site and the male counterpart Mr. Porter and perhaps I can pick some things up there. I wouldn't have thought of it without you so thank you very much! :P

Alot of us on this thread aspire to have well edited wardrobes of quality pieces. This is a good opportunity for you to do this. You may want to find a personal shopper/stylist in your area that can help you. Some of the larger stores near you may have one that is offered as a complimentary service. Or perhaps you have a good relationship with a sales person at a store you've shopped at previously. They will be able to help you with key pieces and trends.

This is an example of a service that is available for virtual styling; I am not endorsing them as I haven't used them, but it may be a good option for you.

http://www.urbandarling.com/virtual-styling

I am good friends with one or two personal shoppers at several stores near me. I don't mean to sound full of myself but I'm not sure I need their services although I know they would be happy to provide it if asked.

I have my own style and it's generally well received more importantly I'm happy and comfertable with it.

Although saying that maybe I could use their help when trying to limit my wardrobe to a smaller size something I normally struggle with so perhaps it is a good idea... :thinking:

I'm wondering why precisely you are trying to gain weight.
Is it because your current weight is too low from a medical standpoint? Do you dislike your current appearance? Or is it because you just want to fit into your old clothing again?

Let's assume that your weight will go up significantly in the not too distant future. In that case I would stay away from investing a lot of money in a new wardrobe. Instead just buy something that fits which could be donoated or resold after your weight is up again.

As long as your current weight is not requiring medical treatment you might try to accept it as it is instead of forcing a weight gain with a diet consisting of chocolate and so on.

And should you feel uncomfortable leaving your home to go shopping due to your wardrobe being limited to loungewear at best there's always online shopping.
yoox.com was already mentioned, thecorner.com and farfetch.com I can recommend from personal experience, mrporter.com (the male equivalent to net-a-porter I believe) looks promising as well.

I hope this helps somewhat. :smile:

My doctors tell me that I am currently underweight and that my BMI is too low. It would be beneficial for me to gain weight. Although personally I am fine with my current weight. I have a lot of clothes (a room full) that I would miss as there is no way I could fit into 90% of them.

People say I look good so perhaps I will just stick with current weight I'll have to speak with my doctors first.

I've not heard of a lot of these websites so thank you so much everyone I'll be sure to post an update when I know what I'm doing.

Best Wishes to all,

L'enfer x

I would consider buying a few items in your current size. You will look better and proper fitting clothing will not attract attention to the weight loss. It will also make you feel better and more confident because you will know that you look nice, rather than feeling sloppy.

If your income allows, then buy pieces that are to your liking in the brands you enjoy otherwise look for sale items or less expensive brands (ie department store) as the intention is temporary wear. I would buy 2-3 pairs pants, 1 jean, 2-3 dress shirts, 2 polo shirts, 1 sweater, 1 jacket, 1-2 pair shoes if current do not fit. Mixing pieces up will create enough outfits for a week. (though if you are used to a larger wardrobe might feel very boring)

Medical weight loss can be difficult to regain and if you are under doctor supervision to do so, it is my assumption that at some point you will be getting larger, though perhaps not to your former size. For example, my male friends who have had chemo never regained their former weight and have remained slim, though larger than when they underwent treatment. I would allow 1 year from the time of recovery to determine what to do with your current wardrobe.

There are also excellent tailors who will be able to alter many of your pieces to fit your new body size. Dependant of the piece, it may or may not be worthwhile.

I would consider buying a few items in your current size. You will look better and proper fitting clothing will not attract attention to the weight loss. It will also make you feel better and more confident because you will know that you look nice, rather than feeling sloppy.

If your income allows, then buy pieces that are to your liking in the brands you enjoy otherwise look for sale items or less expensive brands (ie department store) as the intention is temporary wear. I would buy 2-3 pairs pants, 1 jean, 2-3 dress shirts, 2 polo shirts, 1 sweater, 1 jacket, 1-2 pair shoes if current do not fit. Mixing pieces up will create enough outfits for a week. (though if you are used to a larger wardrobe might feel very boring)

Medical weight loss can be difficult to regain and if you are under doctor supervision to do so, it is my assumption that at some point you will be getting larger, though perhaps not to your former size. For example, my male friends who have had chemo never regained their former weight and have remained slim, though larger than when they underwent treatment. I would allow 1 year from the time of recovery to determine what to do with your current wardrobe.

There are also excellent tailors who will be able to alter many of your pieces to fit your new body size. Dependant of the piece, it may or may not be worthwhile.

Thank you Shiba for your time and input. I just wanted to say I hope you and your friends are well. :smile:

L x

I think as a man it is actually quite easy for you to get some quality pieces but you won't need to buy many of them unlike women who needlessly complicate attire. It's sale season so you might be able to find some sumer clothing on sale.

Maybe 3-4 pairs of slacks and a few shirts until your weight goes back up.

Best wishes on your recovery.

I have Crohn's disease, which has caused me to drop a lot of weight suddenly and then I really packed it on after taking steroids to get my flare under control.

Dresses were honestly the best investment I could make, because they are really forgiving. I could wear some of my dresses after a 20 lb weight gain (mostly in the midsection... prednisone is the devil). Because Chicago gets cold, I purchased some OTK leather boots to wear with my dresses.

I still have some of the tiny clothes (size 23 jeans!) in my closet just in case I flare like that again.

BAH- Just saw OP is a man. I strongly recommend knits, because they stretch out with wear (so they'll have some more life in them if OP does gain weight).