Should I split up my goldfish?

Nyria

Diggin TPF
O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
My sons and I went to Petland the other day and bought some fish. The fish dude told me that we could have a bunch in this fishbowl - so we got 8 feeder fish in a 2 gallon bowl.

Since then I have been looking on the internet and I think that's not enough room for these little fishies. - 1 has already died.
Also they are cery active.

Until I can get a big aquarium I was thinking I could put half the fish into another little bowl (a friend will give me her 2 gallon hexagon shaped bowl).
Should I split them up or just keep them together until I can get a bigger bowl?

Thanks =)

(here's a pic to show how small they are)

Attachments

• fishy 010.jpg
    fishy 010.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 100
Split them up if you can, even if temporarily. 7 (:sad:) in a 2 gallon bowl really is too much.

Also, depending on how well you take care of them, these little feeder fish can get quite large. I had some of mine grow to 5+ inches! (at least I think they're feeders judging by the photo)

oh dear - I don't think you were given the best advice there. Split them up ASAP to give the survivors a chance.

I have six goldfish in my garden pond and a couple of them have grown way bigger than expected.

Good luck!!

I think they grow in relation to wear they live - so if they are in a small bowl they won't grow too much - if they are in a pond they grow bigger. But I guess I'll fgure that out soon enouhg eh ;)
I split them up today - and I am still looking for a bigger aquarium -- but in the meantime at least I know that as feederfish their little bowl is at least better than a bigger fish's tummy ;)

i have heard that goldfish do need a bigger tank. when we bought my daughter's beta a few years ago, the guy at petco told me that it's a common misconception that goldfish can live in very small tanks, especially with other goldfish.

he said (surprisingly) that betas can handle living in a smaller tank, but only by themselves because apparently they're very aggressive.

i would definitely split them up and get another tank or one large one.

My sons and I went to Petland the other day and bought some fish. The fish dude told me that we could have a bunch in this fishbowl - so we got 8 feeder fish in a 2 gallon bowl.

Since then I have been looking on the internet and I think that's not enough room for these little fishies. - 1 has already died.
Also they are cery active.

Until I can get a big aquarium I was thinking I could put half the fish into another little bowl (a friend will give me her 2 gallon hexagon shaped bowl).
Should I split them up or just keep them together until I can get a bigger bowl?

Thanks =)

(here's a pic to show how small they are)

I can't get the big one yet - I live in the country and we won't be going to the ciyt until next week -- so I wanted to split them up so they would be happier for the week.
But now I think I made an oopsy because the Alpha fish is in the bowl and the others miss him.

I remember getting feeder fish from the store when I was little, and a lot of them died within the first few days of coming home... I think a lot of those little guys are sick/weak to begin with, so don't feel bad about the one that died. It's good that you split them up, though, they'll be a lot happier with more room to spread out! Sort of off topic, but my sister got a feeder goldfish in grade school that lived almost 20 years!

I did find a fish message baord - who knew they'd have one for that.
They also suggested finding a tub for them =)

And it's funny you mention the 20 year old fish. when we first got the fish I talked to my son about how they won't live long -- then I researched it -- oops. I read about one that lived to 32 years - wowza

I remember getting feeder fish from the store when I was little, and a lot of them died within the first few days of coming home... I think a lot of those little guys are sick/weak to begin with, so don't feel bad about the one that died. It's good that you split them up, though, they'll be a lot happier with more room to spread out! Sort of off topic, but my sister got a feeder goldfish in grade school that lived almost 20 years!

Thanks for that =)