Should I? Shouldn't I?

SakuraSakura

Aug 24, 2015
I'm considering getting the handles/chaps/tags replaced on my Cerises Speedy 25. I was thinking about keeping it as a display piece along with its original receipts. With that being said, I would like to get some opinions before I get a quote on the replacement. What do you guys think? Would it be worth it for me to do so? Does the patina look terrible? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 440
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 443
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 450
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 438
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 449
I'm considering getting the handles/chaps/tags replaced on my Cerises Speedy 25. I was thinking about keeping it as a display piece along with its original receipts. With that being said, I would like to get some opinions before I get a quote on the replacement. What do you guys think? Would it be worth it for me to do so? Does the patina look terrible? Thanks!
I would only get the leather replaced if you plan on using the bag. But it would totally be worth it.

Only if you are prepared for the possibility that the repair could be disappointing or even a disaster. I guess it depends how attached you are to this limited edition item. If it were still in production that would be a different story.

Reactions: muddledmint
I think its absolutely adorable, look at the facial expressions on the cherries, it does not look that worn out.
If it is limited edition maybe dont touch it, or at least be 100% sure that the repairer can guarantee no serious damage

Reactions: SakuraSakura
I would see if there is anyway you can improve the conditions of the handles first before replacing, as this would be easier, less risk and cheaper. Like the others say, it is a great bag that has been well loved and a lot of history, and the handles show that too!

I love mine, hardly use it and it have very nice patina. The handle is kinda of dark but it’s a bag with history. DO NOT USE BABY WIPS!!! it will dry up the leather. I would leave the way it is. Let us know the cost if u do plan on replacing it.

New vachetta on a vintage design in order to preserve its "history" is frankly a weird concept. You're undoing its history, by definition, by removing its authentic original leather and authentic usage.

In any collectibles market, fidelity to what the object started out as is objectively best, and monkeying with it is objectively less desirable--particularly true in cases where change was made just as a matter of choice, vs. a need for preservation purposes.

New vachetta on a vintage design in order to preserve its "history" is frankly a weird concept. You're undoing its history, by definition, by removing its authentic original leather and authentic usage.

In any collectibles market, fidelity to what the object started out as is objectively best, and monkeying with it is objectively less desirable--particularly true in cases where change was made just as a matter of choice, vs. a need for preservation purposes.
I was just going to type this, but not as well. :smile:
If you want to preserve its history with your tags and receipt then changing the leather changes the look of your bag and the entire history it has. I would leave it alone. It looks in good condition. Altering an item does, in fact, make it less desirable for collectors.