Should I sell my Rolex?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. In January of this year I toyed with the idea of selling my midsize Yacht Master SS/platinum for a midsize DateJust. There is a size difference, of course...the DateJust midsize is 31mm, while the YM midsize is 35mm, and I am not a skinny girl. I have tried the 36mm DateJust, but it is too big and looks like a man's watch on me.

The plusses are: 1. Cute/sporty/blingy; 2. I sometimes use the rotating bezel if I need to time something (mostly parking meters!); 3. It IS the only "sport" watch Rolex makes for the ladies; 4. It is sort of "under the radar" as Rolexes go, so you don't see many around; and 5. It seems to be gaining in popularity.

The minuses: 1. Can be bulky when wearing a suit; 2. Fairly heavy, so it doesn't stay where I would like on my arm much of the time; 3. I got it at a good price because it was a less popular model at the time; 4. It was my first new Rolex; and 5. The price just increased across the board at Rolex, so if I regretted selling, it would be very hard to replace it for what I originally paid.

Should I keep it and just feel a bit clunky sometimes when I wear it with suits? Should I sell and get the two-tone DateJust which is the "standard" Rolex? I am asking because I have a Rolex enthusiast acquaintance who has expressed an interest in buying mine for his wife, so I guess I have to make a decision one way or the other.

Here is a pic of the watch on (this is my "optimal position" but when I am walking around the watch "falls" down onto my wrist and is loose. I have never had it sized. And another pic of just the watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Here is a quick pic I took trying on the midsize DateJust at the AD for comparison (a bit blurry, sorry!):

[​IMG]

3. I'm not knowledgeable about watches, but to me it sounds like if you just got it sized, you would be happy with it. It's nice to have something more rare / under the radar, and the bigger size is a plus in my book. Plus, I think it suits you.

4. I like the first one (sport) better!

5. if it is only Rolex, then the midsize would be best to fit casual and formal wearings.

6. Of the two, I prefer the first one on you. :yes:

7. I also like the first one on you.

8. I like the first one, too!

9. Of course I love the yachtmaster since I have same one. But I only wear mine when I'm casually dressed. If you only want one watch and it needs to span wearing a suit to more casual, the midsize DJ is probably a better bet.

10. ^^also, you've been thinking about this for awhile and wrestling with the decision so I think deep down, you don't feel like the YM is for you. :smile: Listen to your gut.....

11. I like the first one on you. I think it would look good with a suit too, but maybe that's just me.

12. Rockerchic, yes, I HAVE been wrestling with this for a while! I had settled on keeping the YM until I got the offer, which started me thinking again. (Never a good thing!) I think the size of the YM is perfect for me, while the midsize DJ is a bit on the small side and the 36 looks too much like a man's watch on me. Wondering what made me pick the YM originally, other than I did like the sporty/chunky feel. I feel a weird attachment to it as my first new Rolex...like it would be terrible to get rid of it somehow...but that's must me being sentimental and silly, I think.

13. LOL - I believe you tried to talk me into the YM when I bought my mid-size! And now you're considering the mid-size?! I tried on the YM several times. Too busy on the face. I do like it though on others. Would you get a very decent price for it? If you took a bog loss, I would just keep it. But that is JMO.

14. I love your YM and it looks great on you. Why don't you have a few links taken out and wear it around for a week or so and see if that makes a difference to you or not. Then decide whether to do something different.

15. I definitely like the YM on you. The datejust looks too small on you. I think you should keep the YM and get a datejust :smile: