Should I sell my Medallion Tote?

Jan 19, 2008
First off, I would just like to say that I am in NO WAY trying to advertise or sell my bag, I'm purely looking for opinions :smile:

I'm thinking of selling my Medallion Tote. I'm not really sure what it's function is within my collection anymore and am considering replacing it with either a GST or a Balenciaga.

I only have a small collection of high-end designer handbags, so don't like them to be too similar - just so I can get good use out of all of them. This is my collection as it stands:

Mulberry Ledbury in Tan
Gucci Horsebit Hobo in Beige
Balenciaga First in White
Chanel Medallion Tote, Black w/GHW
Louis Vuitton Speedy 30 in Azur
Chanel Jumbo 2.55, Black w/GHW
Mulberry Mabel in Fuschia

If I were to sell it, I think I'd ideally like to replace it with a grey or beigey Bal, or a black or beige GST.

Here are my reasons for thinking maybe I shouldn't sell it:
- I won't get anywhere near what I paid for it, and, should I end up regretting selling it, it will cost me a lot more to replace.
- Although sometimes I think the Medallion and Jumbo are interchangeable (both black), the Medallion is a bit more understated.
- Sometimes I do really really like it! (But I think I may be more in love with a Bal or GST)

What would you do? Any advice at all would be really really welcome, as I'm so undecided as to what to do!

Reactions: Alienza
I would sell it. Why keep a bag around that you don't really use and you don't know the purpose of it in your collection? I would get the black GST instead :smile:

i wouldn't sell it because it is a nice classy bag and i personally would not want it to get devalued when you sell it. maybe it's just me since i'm not a balenciaga fan. if you could replace it with a gst then i guess it's okay as long is it's not almost the same (black with GHW) but imho the medallion tote is a keeper. :flowers:

I would sell it. I had one and got a black balenciaga city which I LOVE and use all the time. It's much more comfortable to carry. I had a GST too, but ended up selling that for a chanel jumbo flap, which I think is more comfortable to carry as well.

I would sell it. I had a Medallion and sold mine. It is a beautiful bag, but I found it a bit difficult to get in and out of and sat awkward on my shoulder. I love the GST. It's my favorite style after the Jumbo and I love the Bal city too. But don't rush into selling it. Maybe use it a few more times and then see how you feel about it.

If I were you, I wouldn't sell it. I currently own both GST & Medallion tote and they serve different purposes. GST for me is shopping tote, it's suitable for casual days. Medallion is more classy IMO, I tend to use it to go to very nice places. Both of them, I wear to work as well.

If you don't use it, I would sell it. When was the last time you used the medaillon tote? If it has been sitting in your closet for ages, I would sell it. I completely understand your dilemma, I am extremely indecisive, especially if it comes to purses.

What I normally do is take the bag out and use it for a week or so and check as many pictures on TPF or google celebs wearing the bag and see whether my mind's changing regarding the bag. If wearing the bag and looking at the pictures doesn't get you excited at all (again), I would sell it and buy a bag that does make your heart sing.

Anyway, take the time to think it through. Don't make any hasty decisions. You don't want to regret selling it.

Just my two cents. GL deciding!

Have you ever tried on a GST or Bbag? If you love them better than medallion, then you should sell it. When I was looking for a tote bag, I tried all of them. GST was way to boxy for me. I liked Bbag with hardware but it was very heavy. So my best choice was medallion and I still do not regret.

I understand why you may not want to part with it, because it hurts taking a blow... you definitely won't get anywhere what you paid for it and you have to be okay with that. I'm in a similar position with a bag I have use only a few times... what holds me back is the $1000 loss (at least) that I'll take! :nogood:

However, another way to look at it is that it's dead money sitting in your closet if you truly aren't using it OR would use another bag more! I'm not a fan of the GST (tried and couldn't make it work), but there are other totes (Cerf, etc.) I love. I would try on the potential replacements YOU love and decide which one works best for you. If you can see yourself using that bag much more than the Medallion (Chanel or not), then go ahead and sell the Medallion! Ultimately, you won't regret it. Good luck! :flowers: