Should I sell my Dionysus?

Catherine1288

Dec 15, 2019
I realise this is a Gucci forum and we're all a little biased here but I have far too many bags and would like to purchase a new Fendi peekaboo in black (a more structured version). My Gucci Dionysus and my Fendi mini peekaboo in red are my least adored bags. Which one should I keep? I prefer the structured lines of the Gucci over the spongey lambskin Peekaboo but I realise that the design of the Peekaboo is more classic and timeless. I still think the Gucci is a knock-out but it's also a tad garish for many people's taste and I'm conscious of that when I wear it.

Thanks for your advice. X

IMG_3534.jpg

Reactions: IntheOcean
I think you should keep the Dionysus.

First of all, don't worry about what others think. If someone finds the Gucci esthetic garish and whatnot, that's just their opinion. If you like it, that's all that matters. I mostly prefer inconspicuous designs without any big logos or recognizable monograms, but I love the Dionysus line. It's beautiful, elegant enough and, in my opinion, a classic. It may not be as popular as it once was, but why should that matter, really?

Secondly, if you're planning on adding another Peekabo to your collection it makes sense to let go of the one you already have. Unless you actually want to have two of the same bag (which is fine!) - but it seems to me that if that were the case, this thread wouldn't exist. :smile:

So I'd say, keep the Dionysus and let go of the red Peekaboo, if you don't love it enough to wear it and enjoy it.

I prefer the structured lines of the Gucci over the spongey lambskin Peekaboo but I realise that the design of the Peekaboo is more classic and timeless. I still think the Gucci is a knock-out
I think you’ve made the arg for keeping the gucci :smile: we have plenty of time to be classic. Right now, let’s cut ourselves some slack and have fun. JMO of course

They’re both lovely bags! I’ll be honestly im more partial to Gucci craftsmanship however the peekaboo is a lovely color and nice basic. If you love them both id say keep them both! But, if you don’t want your dollars sitting on a shelf and if you are needing the cash to purchase the new bag I’d say think about cost per wear. Think about Which one you reach for more and which one will compliment your style and current wardrobe.

Thanks for everybody's very useful advice. At the end of the day, I think I'd regret it more if I sold the Dionysus. It's such a well made, practical bag and goes with every outfit!
Also, unlike many other bags, the Gucci Dionysus holds its shape and looks brand new even years of wear later. I've compared how both bags wear by looking at second hand bags sites and the Gucci does seem pretty indestructible. It is a beautiful, vintage looking bag with a classic silhouette. It doesn't seem very popular at the moment but that's probably a good thing! It was too coveted a few years back.

Thank you all. Xx

So @Catherine1288, why are these bags Least used of your collection^? Since it’s TPF (I’m shamelessly nosey). I can imagine the Gucci going with all black, white, beige, browns, or white/cream (as a pop of neutral color), or as a bit of lightness with denim. . . I’m less sure of a red bag, but red is Almost considered a universal color neutral, like a perfect red lipstick?
im just curious ;)

Reactions: Catherine1288
So @Catherine1288, why are these bags Least used of your collection^? Since it’s TPF (I’m shamelessly nosey). I can imagine the Gucci going with all black, white, beige, browns, or white/cream (as a pop of neutral color), or as a bit of lightness with denim. . . I’m less sure of a red bag, but red is Almost considered a universal color neutral, like a perfect red lipstick?
im just curious ;)

Thanks for asking ans thanks for your thoughts. They're not at all my least used. They're my least loved bags - which means I turn to them quite a bit in order to preserve my super special bags. You're spot on - they're not difficult to style. In fact, the Gucci literally goes with anything and dresses up and down like a Chanel black classic flap.

I think my real problem is that I have two many bags for my own comfort and the choice is stressing me out. I wrote this post last night to see if any other designer handbag lovers can relate:

Catherine, thanks for the further insight! Have you read @diane278 ‘s post in this thread below? She only keeps 12 bags in active rotation and relegates the others to standby in he guest closet. . . The way she explains it is far more eloquent than I’ve laid out here. But, the point is, there are workarounds :smile: having gone through throes of minimalism before, I don’t necessarily recommend any extreme action Bc yu end up trying to buy the same bag 2, or 3, times. JMO ;)

Reactions: Catherine1288
Catherine, thanks for the further insight! Have you read @diane278 ‘s post in this thread below? She only keeps 12 bags in active rotation and relegates the others to standby in he guest closet. . . The way she explains it is far more eloquent than I’ve laid out here. But, the point is, there are workarounds :smile: having gone through throes of minimalism before, I don’t necessarily recommend any extreme action Bc yu end up trying to buy the same bag 2, or 3, times. JMO ;)

Thank you! Diane's post is fantastic! Thanks so much for the advice. Trust the Purse Forum family to have my back Xxxx

• Love
Reactions: 880
take both bags out and put them in front of you. hold both bags. play around with them throw your phone inside. wear them and see yourself in the mirror. which one makes you happy? which one do you love looking at more when you open your closet? which one do you enjoy opening and taking stuff out of more? which one makes you feel like a million dollars when you put it on and you keep looking down at throughout your day because you can’t stop looking at your awesome bag? which one looks amazing in the passenger seat when you’re driving?

okay keep that one. sell the one that doesn’t make you feel that way.