Should I report this? Unsure what to do...

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
I bought this item on the 14th.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...070216&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1155

I paid the same day. Seller is listed as in the US and shipping through priority mail.

Seller shipped today by this method (taken directly from a message sent to me from seller):

Canada first class mail int'l
lc582581731us
customs form #
5-7 days

My problem is I expected this item to me as it was listed from a seller in the US. What can I do? I mean, I want to shoes, but I'm disappointed it's going to take this long and I feel deceived.

I sent a message to the seller(verbatim):

Okay, I don't understand. Your profile says you're located in MD
in the united states. Yet this item is coming from Canada? And
your shipping says priority mail, which is a 2-3 business day
service. And your shipping time is listed as 5-6 business days!

And yet you shipped the item 4 days after I paid for it since I
paid the day of wining bid, and now you're telling me it's going
to take another 5-7 days for this to get to me?!

I'm very unhappy with this because if I had know these shoes
were in Canada, I would have NOT purchased them. I expected
them arrived to me as listed on your listing.

Anything I can do? Can I open case with paypal? Ask for partial refund? Leave negative feedback? Anything?

Thanks...any advice would help.

you can probably leave negative feedback but personally i dont see the issue as a big deal. the seller may have moved and forgot to change the info on their account. are there any other red flags? unless something is wrong with the item or the seller lied about the description, i dont know if you can open an ebay case.

i agree with the other poster - i see no reason why you would be upset that the seller 1) didn't ship the same day you paid and 2) that the shoes would take a day or two longer due to customs and/or internationally shipping.

most sellers, myself included, DO NOT ship until the payment has cleared. unless she indicated in the auction that she would ship the same day she was paid, there has been no false advertisement or misleading on the sellers part.

agreed, priority shipping should take between 2-3 days, but there is no guarantee from USPS that the item will be delivered then.

the only thing i can see that you would have reason to complain and post negative feedback is if you are charged any customs. that would definitely be something to complain about and get a refund for that cost from the seller.

There is nothing wring with buying an item from Canada. I doubt you would even be charged any duties (if that is what you're worried about) since it's coming usps and it's not a real expensive item. Maybe she bought the shoes while visiting in Canada....who knows.

I actually understand the OP, had she known the shoes were going to take that long due to not being in the US she would have not bought them. I personally like to buy within the US to avoid any additional shipping delays & hassles. Nothing wrong with buying from Canada, or overseas but if a seller is listed in the US you expect your item sooner.

If this been a $$$ designer bag that someone purchased say from a seller in Georgia & then they get a shipping update telling them its coming from China...then Im sure more people would be upset. (just using this as an example....nothing wrong with China)
KWIM?

To me one reason could be that a legit seller does not have the merchandise in his possession(they are in the US,but items elsewhere) okay with me but I WANT to know that & I hope the item is accurately described.

And another reason (and not a good one) is that the item is being drop shipped from a "supplier" which is the case with some very shady sellers that sell quantities of counterfeit stuff. Not saying this is the case, but I have come across this before.

Bottom line...I want to know where my item is coming from. I personally do base my bidding on many factors,and one is where is the seller located.

I will be upset too, if I see that shows seller is in the USA but her actual location is elsewhere! We never know, item may get delay in custom, etc-regardless, it's still an international transaction!

Well if for some reason you do get charged any customs fees, the seller would be responsible for them since she doesn't have a disclaimer saying otherwise on her page. And maybe she does live in maryland but is just visiting canada and she brought them with her to send (I've done that before, except it's been in different states within the U.S.) and didn't realize it would be an issue.

As far as the shipping time, it does say that the time is 5-6 business days, which means it's up to 7-8 actual days, and now you're looking at 9-11 instead, which is potentially only one day longer than it said it would be.

I understand you're worried, but it's very soon to be taking any action. You can't open a paypal case unless an item hasn't been shipped or has been received not in the stated condition. And asking for a partial refund or leaving a negative really should be dependent on whether there's a problem with the item. In the future you might consider that individual sellers who are selling personal items usually don't ship next day since it's not their job and are just doing it to get rid of an item and if you need something by a certain day it's best to ask a seller ahead of time when it will be shipped (for individual or bulk sellers--sometimes the bulk sellers are even worse).

Item location and method of shipping is important to me. If there is more than one listing for what I'm looking for, I would choose a US seller (assuming price plus shipping were about equal.) Please don't take offense, Canadians, It's not that I don't have confidence in your abilitiy to ship internationally, I don't have confidence in mine. I am gradually broadening my horizons a bit at a time.

Appears to be someone who doesn't sell much, maybe inexperienced. I think you did the right thing by letting her know about this by email, but I would wait and see what her response is before deciding on feedback and reporting. Hopefully your shoes (very cute, by the way) will arrive without incident.

Thanks for the responses. I want to clarify something though.

1) I don't see anything wrong with buying anything from Canada or any other country. I don't personally because I know shipping takes longer and I don't want to wait that long.

2) I bought the shoes under the knowledge that these are from the US, and since they've been worn once, I assumed they're from a private person. Had I known if was from another country (not that it's bad), I would not have bought them because of shipping time.

The seller sent me an email telling me she thought I was in canada too...don't know how since I'm ID verified and paypal confirmed with my address in California. I told her I still wanted the shoes, but was confused by the location issues.

I checked the tracking, and it says received from Baltimore, MD....same location as it says on seller profile.

I'm confused because if seller is in Canada, why would the package say it was accepted in Baltimore, and if seller isn't in canada, why did seller ship it international shipping?

The tracking number is listed in the initial post...anyone have any ideas?

I'm stumped. That is a USPS tracking number (ends in US). Canadapost tracking numbers end in CA. And, from the tracking, it appears to have started in Baltimore. I have no idea why she is suggesting it is coming from Canada.

With regard to your original point though. It is important that buyers know the right country an item is being shipped from. International transactions have timing issues and customs issues. Not that there is anything wrong with international transactions - I do them all the time - but you need to know.

Possibly the seller thought YOU were in Canada, CA sometimes being an abbreviation for Canada AND California. Possibly she mistakenly SENT them to Canada? Can you track the package on USPS? Or Canada Post?

The seller sent me an email stating when she went to the post, the post lady said I was in Canada too. Then when she will filling everything out, she realized I was in the US. from the tracking number, it says item received in baltimore. baltimore is in the US. the package is with usps. And I just checked my paypal...it says my address, then UNITED STATES under that.

On top of this, I paid the day of, seller took 4 days to ship...seller had 4 days to look at my address (where it says united states).

If the sellers knows how to read, there is NO WAY she could have sent my shoes to canada or anywhere else that my address...it's paypal confirmed. I'm not worried the shoes are going to end up elsewhere.

I'm just as confused as all of you. I'm waiting to hear back from the seller as to her location. I asked her directly so we'll see I guess....just very strange and I'm pretty bummed I have to wait a total of 12 days for my shoes...and it should have been here by 7 days max. =(

How odd. I doubt a postal clerk would make that mistake with your address. Canada uses a mix of letters and numbers for the "zip" codes (and the US doesn't), so that right there would have tipped her off even with the country info missing. Not sure what is going on now, but I hope you get your shoes soon!