Should I report a non-performing seller?

Hoodster777

Sectumsempra
O.G.
Jan 9, 2006
I just won an auction for a Lanvin for H&M shirt on Ebay, and shortly after I paid I received a message from the seller saying that its out of stock, and sent me the thing to agree to a cancellation. The seller also promptly refunded me.

I should add that this, and the other Lanvin items this seller had for sale looked like they were the first items the seller was selling, they had 100% fb as a buyer (checked them on Toolhaus before I bid). And I just looked, and they also pulled all of the other items they had for sale.

So should I agree to the mutual cancellation, or should I report as a NPS? I'm disappointed, it was a great price, and now I have to hunt another one down that's under $100.

The same exact thing happened to me! I won a Lanvin H&M pink statement necklace for $40 from someone in Europe, and seconds after the bidding ended the seller told me they "lost" the necklace and sent me a mutual cancellation notice.

I'm almost positive that this seller didn't want to sell it to me because it didn't go for very much.

But in the end I just agreed to the mutual cancellation, I didn't think about it thoroughly, and wish that I had reported them as a NPS.

OP I would report them!

Thanks! I love how the item magically became out of stock, I guess our items went into some mystical dimension, lol. They started the auction at only $1, and it went up to $54, so they were still making a profit. I hate greedy people.

Now, dumb question- how do I report? I didn't reply to the message that they sent me, should I, or should I just report? This is my first time dealing with something like this.

I haven't reported before either. I think you should call eBay or live chat, or simply deny the cancellation. I think if you deny it you can then report it. Actually I'm not quite sure, it's probably best to call :P

OP, I just went through the same experience. Bought and paid for a MJ tote. Seller claimed it had sold on a different auction site and was unable to end the Ebay listing prior to my winning the bag. She apologized profusely and refunded my payemt promptly.
Come to find out, she relisted the same bag the next day at double the price.

I reported her to Ebay for NP and was told they would investigate the matter. Guess what, Ebay did nothing about it. Seller successfully sold the bag at the higher price and continues to sell items with no repercussions from Ebay. So much for the legally binding contract between Buyer and Seller crap.

Omg Restless, that's terrible! I don't believe these items were on another site, I checked Bonanzale before I searched Ebay, and nothing came up. I will keep an eye out for their items again, they were selling the Lanvin H&M shirt with the girls on it in all sizes, and a set of the lipsticks. I hope they do something about this one, especially since it looks like they were a new seller.

Last edited:
I wouldnt report them, If they are a usual seller of this item then its easy to miscount or simply run out of inventory before realizing it, They did the right thing by informing you right away and refunding you right away, Id let it slide.

It does not look like they were a usual seller, they had 4 listings up, 1 for the shirt in each size, and the lipsticks, and they had no selling fb at all. They had no BINs running, they were all regular auctions.

I see no reason to report them. As stated they informed you quickly, refunded promptly and even pulled all their other items, so I think a fair guess would be that they realized that they could not deliver or something else went wrong and they did the right thing, pulled all items.

I would think there are a few of us on here who have made a mistake in their listing before? OK, I'll be the first. I made a mistake when I started selling on eBay. A buyer caught it right away and I panicked and pulled everything down until I could figure out if I had made more mistakes.

How would the members of this forum like to be treated if you made a mistake? Would you think it is fair to go for the "jugular" if you informed them quickly and refunded the money?

While yes it may have been a simple mistake, its not like they had a huge shop, it was 4 or 5 items for sale. They let this auction, and most likely the others run until the end, it was up for over a week. I'm still thinking of what to do. However, I won't leave them a negative, another buyer actually did that.

I wouldnt report them, If they are a usual seller of this item then its easy to miscount or simply run out of inventory before realizing it, They did the right thing by informing you right away and refunding you right away, Id let it slide.

I see no reason to report them. As stated they informed you quickly, refunded promptly and even pulled all their other items, so I think a fair guess would be that they realized that they could not deliver or something else went wrong and they did the right thing, pulled all items.

I would think there are a few of us on here who have made a mistake in their listing before? OK, I'll be the first. I made a mistake when I started selling on eBay. A buyer caught it right away and I panicked and pulled everything down until I could figure out if I had made more mistakes.

How would the members of this forum like to be treated if you made a mistake? Would you think it is fair to go for the "jugular" if you informed them quickly and refunded the money?
I'd watch the seller and at this point not report as a non-performing seller. My guess is that the seller was trying to save fees and hoped the final prices would be higher than they ended so rather than completing the deal, they lied about having it in stock. They should have either had a reserve price or started the bidding at an affordable price.

That said, while I don't think I'd report her at this point, I wouldn't agree to the mutual. You do still want the item and you're willing to pay for it so why should the seller be off the hook when she clearly violated policy by not selling for the final price?

By not agreeing to the mutual, the seller won't get back the FVF.

Then if you see that she relists the same item(s) again, you can report at that time because then you'll know the reason for her not following through now.

Thanks BeenBurned, that sounds like a good idea. I didn't know that the seller won't get back the FVF if I don't agree to the cancellation.

I plan on responding to the message as well, what should I say? I want to send the reply when I respond to the cancellation.

As for feedback, I think I will leave a neutral, stating "Seller canceled transaction after auction ended, said item was out of stock. Gave prompt refund". How does that sound?

Sorry for all the questions/being all over the place with what I want to do. This is the first time this has happened to me, and its also finals/project time at school, so I'm getting stressed.

My first priority would be to school and put this on the back burner. You sound like a design major when you mentioned projects. Our daughter has the same few weeks ahead, so I know the stress of that.

Your statement for feedback sounds factual, so as much as I prefer giving the benefit of the doubt, it describes your situation fairly. :peace:

This is not a seasoned seller. I also would give the benefit of the doubt and not penalize her for what is likely a rookie mistake. I would not leave any FB and would agree to the mutual so the FVF's get returned.