Should I let go of this?

Apr 22, 2018
I got my Mini Maestra bag from Senreve recently, and I love it so far! It can be converted to a backpack style, which is great, in my opinion. Do you think I should sell my Burberry Rucksack in the medium size? I don't *need* two backpacks. But, then they are kind of different styles. The Burberry Rucksack is definitely lighter because it is made of nylon. I am trying to streamline my collection. No one needs 10+ bags, it is just wants not needs :giggle:.

I wouldn't sell just yet. Give it time. Those two backpacks are quite different. You might prefer the one by Senreve now, but you might find yourself craving the other one next week, and then you will go back to Senreve, and so on... That happens :smile:
I totally understand streamlining one's collection, that's actually what I've been doing myself some time ago, both with accessories and clothing. But I think it's reasonable to let the item sit for a while before deciding that yes, you really do feel OK letting it go.

I wouldn't sell just yet. Give it time. Those two backpacks are quite different. You might prefer the one by Senreve now, but you might find yourself craving the other one next week, and then you will go back to Senreve, and so on... That happens :smile:
I totally understand streamlining one's collection, that's actually what I've been doing myself some time ago, both with accessories and clothing. But I think it's reasonable to let the item sit for a while before deciding that yes, you really do feel OK letting it go.

How did your streamline process go :smile:?

Thanks! I am hesitant to sell it. Maybe that's a sign that it shouldn't part my collection yet!

Reactions: 880 and IntheOcean
How did your streamline process go :smile:?
Quite good! Although I may be backsliding a bit... Just a bit. But! About ten months I got rid of half of my closet & then put up for sale all of my bags and accessories that I just don't reach for anymore. Basically, I'm trying my best to only buy things that I know I will love wearing. I'm a sucker for good deals, so I would often have things in my closet that I had to make myself wear because I paid money for it. Even though it just didn't make me happy when I put them on. I learned that there's a difference between "This looks good on me" and "This IS me". :cool: I wouldn't say I'm a minimalist, though.

Quite good! Although I may be backsliding a bit... Just a bit. But! About ten months I got rid of half of my closet & then put up for sale all of my bags and accessories that I just don't reach for anymore. Basically, I'm trying my best to only buy things that I know I will love wearing. I'm a sucker for good deals, so I would often have things in my closet that I had to make myself wear because I paid money for it. Even though it just didn't make me happy when I put them on. I learned that there's a difference between "This looks good on me" and "This IS me". :cool: I wouldn't say I'm a minimalist, though.

What bags did you sell? Did you get most of your money back? I used to buy bags because they were on sale too. However, throughout my bag acquiring journey, I realized what I truly like are classic styles and those never go on sale anyway.

I like your mentality - This IS me :coolio:! Minimalism is relative though. In tPF, I am probably a minimalist (I have 11 bags in total, 1 long wallet, and 1 compact wallet, 1 card holder). But, in real life, my friends aren't into bags, so they may see me as a bit excessive.

The economy is not doing so well overall, and I was surprised to see people lining up outside the Gucci store at downtown yesterday.

Reactions: IntheOcean
What bags did you sell? Did you get most of your money back? I used to buy bags because they were on sale too. However, throughout my bag acquiring journey, I realized what I truly like are classic styles and those never go on sale anyway.

I like your mentality - This IS me :coolio:! Minimalism is relative though. In tPF, I am probably a minimalist (I have 11 bags in total, 1 long wallet, and 1 compact wallet, 1 card holder). But, in real life, my friends aren't into bags, so they may see me as a bit excessive.

The economy is not doing so well overall, and I was surprised to see people lining up outside the Gucci store at downtown yesterday.
I did get some of my money back, yes. I was patient and took good photos. I should mention that I slowly began to weed out stuff from my wardrobe about three years ago, give or take. So the market was quite considerably better then than it is now. Some of the bags and SLGs I sold were from high street brands like Gianni Chiarini and Uterque, which were basically my gateway bags way back when. Yes, even those got sold! Then some contemporary designers and I think the most "luxury" designer bag I let go of was Marc Jacobs. So it wasn't huge money. I don't regret any of my purchases either, I think some were right for me at the time and others helped me realize what works for me and what doesn't.

I also got rid of lots of clothing and shoes for the same reason.

I completely understand your preference for classics! After all, they became classics for a reason! I love Prada and I remember thinking that their staple Double Zip Lux Tote (or the Galleria if you're not from the States) is pretty, sure, but why do people like it so much? Now I would catch myself sometimes just gazing at mine, admiring the simple lines, etc... But I do like quite a few bags that are discontinued now, not classics at all and so they don't cost much, thankfully. So getting a good deal on one isn't off the table for me.

I have about seven or eight bags now, plus four? (I think?) wallets, which isn't that many at all. But none of my friends and relatives are into it, so yes, they absolutely do see my infatuation with handbags as quite excessive! Like, "Why would anyone need more than one bag? And they cost HOW much??" :haha:

Reactions: PineappleMinnie
I did get some of my money back, yes. I was patient and took good photos. I should mention that I slowly began to weed out stuff from my wardrobe about three years ago, give or take. So the market was quite considerably better then than it is now. Some of the bags and SLGs I sold were from high street brands like Gianni Chiarini and Uterque, which were basically my gateway bags way back when. Yes, even those got sold! Then some contemporary designers and I think the most "luxury" designer bag I let go of was Marc Jacobs. So it wasn't huge money. I don't regret any of my purchases either, I think some were right for me at the time and others helped me realize what works for me and what doesn't.

I also got rid of lots of clothing and shoes for the same reason.

I completely understand your preference for classics! After all, they became classics for a reason! I love Prada and I remember thinking that their staple Double Zip Lux Tote (or the Galleria if you're not from the States) is pretty, sure, but why do people like it so much? Now I would catch myself sometimes just gazing at mine, admiring the simple lines, etc... But I do like quite a few bags that are discontinued now, not classics at all and so they don't cost much, thankfully. So getting a good deal on one isn't off the table for me.

I have about seven or eight bags now, plus four? (I think?) wallets, which isn't that many at all. But none of my friends and relatives are into it, so yes, they absolutely do see my infatuation with handbags as quite excessive! Like, "Why would anyone need more than one bag? And they cost HOW much??" :haha:

That's great that you got some money back. I found that contemporary designers' bags are the hardest to sell because their price point isn't crazy to begin with, people might as well buy them in brand new condition.

True, sometimes, our styles have changed or needs have changed due to different life stages. The bags that used to work, no longer work.

Oh, I didn't know Double Zip Lux Tote, but as soon as you mentioned the Galleria, I know which bag you were referring to :coolio:. Guess what, one point in my life, I loved the Galleria too. Not anymore. I am glad I didn't buy it. Lol. I used to love the Celine Belt bag. It is still a nice bag, but not sure why, the urge to buy just disappeared. I have learned my lesson. When I want to buy a bag, I'll let the idea sit... if after MONTHS I still want it, then ok.

Lol. I know what you mean. People who aren't into bags just think it is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something so materialistic. However, I don't hide my purchases from my husband :biggrin:. He knows all my bags, and he is actually pretty good at guessing the prices :biggrin:.