Should I leave feedback?

jennums

Drinking Divas
Aug 8, 2008
San Jose, CA
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Tiffany Necklace on eBay, and I'm not sure if or what type of feedback I should leave. Mind you... It's been like a month already, so I'm at the point where it seems ridiculous to leave feedback now... but here's the back story.

I purchased the necklace on 3/6/10, and hadn't heard any information about tracking or shipment by 3/10/10. I sent her a polite e-mail asking if she had shipped the necklace and if I could have the tracking information.

Her response was:
"it was sent in the mail its a light necklace.. sent it out two days ago"

Well, the necklace didn't arrive until that Saturday, and it came in a plain envelope, with no bag (I wasn't expecting a bag because it wasn't listed in the auction), and no protection around the necklace whatsoever.

The pendant on this necklace is made of bone and it's very fragile, so I was very frustrated about this. The seller lives in NJ and I live in CA, so it very well could have been damaged or lost in transit and she provided NO tracking at all.

To make matters worse, her auction stated that shipping was $1, but then she re-invoiced me asking for $2 shipping... and she only shipped it in a small envelope with 2 stamps on it.

Luckily, the necklace arrived safely, but the whole thing really irritated me, so I never bothered to leave feedback. However, I thought about it... and I don't think that the way she shipped the item was acceptable, and I don't want the seller to believe that it is.

If you were in my situation, what type of feedback would you leave?

I'd leave a negative. She overcharged for shipping and put an item that you more than likely paid $100+ for in a WHITE envelope! She's lucky the machine didn't cut through the envelope. The necklace could have slipped out.

You can file a claim on eBay and get back the money for shipping (I believe).

MarneeB

~Love My Dogs~
O.G.
Mar 15, 2009
Missouri
I'd contact the seller before leaving feedback to let her know how you feel. She should know that was a lazy way to ship it! Then I'd leave a neutral stating exactly what crazzee_shopper said above. If you're happy with the necklace itself and only had problems with the shipping method/price then a negative is too harsh for me.

crazzee_shopper

Now a Mrs.
Jan 13, 2010
BTW, the $2 might be covering tracking as well. I believe it is ~$0.80 to purchase tracking on top of the regular shipping cost.

kells1983

FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO.
O.G.
Dec 1, 2008
^^^But OP didn't say it had a tracking number... it only had 2 stamps! I understood that to mean no tracking at all - am I right in that assumption, OP?

To answer OP's question, I would leave a neutral, explaining why, and leave a 1 or 2 in their stars for communication and shipping time/cost. Other buyers should know, and the seller shouldn't be able to get away with that behavior.

crazzee_shopper

Now a Mrs.
Jan 13, 2010
^^ that is true. I'm just trying to figure out why the seller would charge the extra dollar.

But regardless, it doesn't excuse for bad communication skills and poor packaging. I don't think it's that costly or time consuming to bubblewrap the necklace.

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
Seller probably charged an extra dollar for the paypal or ebay fees. Still, I'd say negative or neutral feedback. This seller wasn't considerate about packing or shipping safety. This seller is actually lucky you're an honest person because I can see a buyer taking advantage of this seller's stupid-ness and claiming it was lost since there was no tracking whatsoever.

jennums

Drinking Divas
Aug 8, 2008
San Jose, CA
Seller probably charged an extra dollar for the paypal or ebay fees. Still, I'd say negative or neutral feedback. This seller wasn't considerate about packing or shipping safety. This seller is actually lucky you're an honest person because I can see a buyer taking advantage of this seller's stupid-ness and claiming it was lost since there was no tracking whatsoever.
This is exactly my point. :goodpost:

While I can appreciate that the seller may have wanted to compensate for PayPal or eBay fees, she should have included that price in her starting bid. The auction clearly stated that shipping would be $1. Which would have been fair considering she paid 0.88 in shipping with her two stamps. IF the seller had purchased delivery confirmation, then I could totally understand the extra charge, but she didn't.

I think I'm mostly mad about there being absolutely no protection for the necklace at all.

jennums

Drinking Divas
Aug 8, 2008
San Jose, CA
^^^But OP didn't say it had a tracking number... it only had 2 stamps! I understood that to mean no tracking at all - am I right in that assumption, OP?

To answer OP's question, I would leave a neutral, explaining why, and leave a 1 or 2 in their stars for communication and shipping time/cost. Other buyers should know, and the seller shouldn't be able to get away with that behavior.
Yup, nothing but two stamps... No tracking, no delivery confirmation, no protection, nothing. Just a plain white envelope, and I could clearly see that there was a necklace inside! I wish she would have at least wrapped it in some tissue or paper, or something! :sad:

Apr 15, 2007
I'd leave a neutral stating "insufficient packaging, overcharged shipping, bad communication skills"

agree here..sellers should take appropriate measure to wrap an

item securely.. especially when it has a long distance to go.. this went

cross country. think this seller was "very careless" and should be a

warning to other buyers to make sure that this seller wraps a package

appropriately and by leaving the feedback buyers can then

ask the buyer to make sure their item is packed well...

hellokitty99

Apr 1, 2009
the seller should have been more responsible but i dont think i'd leave a negative because there's nothing wrong with the necklace. instead i'd leave the seller a neutral feedback stating that the item wasn't responsibly packaged and the seller was either careless or inconsiderate. i'd also mention that she charged more for shipping than what was agreed.

jennums

Drinking Divas
Aug 8, 2008
San Jose, CA
Thanks all! I went ahead and left neutral feedback for the seller. This is what I said:

Shipped unprotected in envelope w/ NO TRACKING. Necklace is OK.

And I just gave her one star for the shipping and communication. It seems she's already got a negative feedback for an INR.

Under normal circumstances, I don't think I would have bought from this seller, because they had limited feedback to begin with and appeared to be newer to selling on eBay.

Thanks for all your help! Hopefully the neutral will help the seller understand that she needs to be more careful with her packages.

denim53

O.G.
Apr 5, 2008
I think I would have sent her an e-mail before leaving any feedback. She sounds young and inexperienced and may have appreciated your advice on proper packaging for the future.

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
Packaging something securely is common sense. It does not take experience or a genius to know that high value items or jewelry needs extra protection. Plus, you can take it to any post office or shipping place and THEY will package it for you.

Packaging something poorly is negligence, laziness, etc. For this item, a bubble envelope, or a small box, definitely NOT a letter envelope where any schmuck could have seen it was a necklace of possible value and jacked it.

I think this seller was trying to save money. Even delivery confirmation would NOT have been a dollar...paypal print at home charges .19!