Should I keep or sell my vintage Gucci Sylvie?

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

smlbean

May 21, 2020
I found a 60s - 70s Gucci Sylvie recently at a local thrift store for $100. I usually have rotten luck at that particular store and skip it but it was on the way home so I popped in for a look. I think a rich older woman passed recently because there was a whole ass rack of St. John, a ton of vintage designer shoes and several nicer bags. This bag caught my eye immediately because it was PRISTINE, I actually thought it was a modern bag until I peeped the tag and realized it was old Gucci. It also has the original compact mirror and cardholder! I usually avoid thrift store designer purses but I believe knockoffs of pre 80s Gucci bags are rarer than the real deal and this one had all the right markings.

Now I’m trying to decide if I should resell it and use that money for a dream bag or keep it. $100 isn’t the best deal I’ve seen but considering a new Gucci Sylvie is upwards of $1k I’m happy with that price. I’m not exactly sure how much it’s worth but I assume I can get around 3 - 4x more than what I paid especially since it’s in gorgeous condition.

Pros:
  • I can’t afford MSRP Gucci and this find has been the closest I’ve gotten to having a luxury purse.
  • With the quality and condition, I can easily see this bag lasting me a long time.
Cons:
  • It’s suede and I can see it being kinda a pain to baby and maintain.
  • I think the style is gorgeous and it doesn’t clash with my style but I do wonder if it’s going to look dated at all?
Please advise! I want to know y’alls opinions and expertise.

C366DA72-49E1-41EC-BF48-BD76ADC471F7.jpeg

8B08275B-D230-4E63-8D5F-4F62E0C67ABA.jpeg

Personally not a bag that appeals to me mainly due to the hardware, but they had a re-release and I would think the original is more popular than ever, so if it is not 100% you, possibly a good time to sell it, if you love it, $100 is nothing for a designer back, then enjoy

The resell price for a private seller is fairly low, especially now the even older original model 'Sylvie' has been reissued.

If you had to buy it new, it would be more than 10 x the price to you. Keep, enjoy, celebrate your lucky find.

Either that or contact Gucci's museum and see if they want to buy it from you for their archive. Bags of this age are not usually pristine.

Suede may need a little TLC, but you can spray and it's not a too light colour.

Reactions: smlbean
The resell price for a private seller is fairly low, especially now the even older original model 'Sylvie' has been reissued.

If you had to buy it new, it would be more than 10 x the price to you. Keep, enjoy, celebrate your lucky find.

Either that or contact Gucci's museum and see if they want to buy it from you for their archive. Bags of this age are not usually pristine.

Suede may need a little TLC, but you can spray and it's not a too light colour.

But she only paid $100 for it, I always found that if I am not 100% happy with a bag and it isn't the one I really want, I end up not using it, so if she can make some money on it, put that towards the bag she really likes (and also look at the preloved market), just in case the Gucci museum doesn't buy it, it might be an idea. Right now there aren't a lot of Sylvies on the preloved market

Oh it is gorgeous!
I would keep it. You won‘t get a big amount for it (the preloved market for bags is not really a collectors market, more recent bags are valued more). And you don’t have another luxury bag, what a joy for your first to be such a beautiful find by Gucci that can last you many years. Spray it and get one of those suede brushes to take care of it. If it gets dirty down the road, you could always dye it black. Sacrilege I know, but hey, it cost you 100$ (and suede dyes very well).

As for the style, to be honest, I find it less dated that the current Sylvie... A classic and classy shoulder bag.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and smlbean
But she only paid $100 for it, I always found that if I am not 100% happy with a bag and it isn't the one I really want, I end up not using it, so if she can make some money on it, put that towards the bag she really likes (and also look at the preloved market), just in case the Gucci museum doesn't buy it, it might be an idea. Right now there aren't a lot of Sylvies on the preloved market

But its resale value though % higher than paid, isn't even enough to buy a cheap new Gucci or other premium bag. Once the bag's sold it's gone, for what? The price of a Gucci card holder or leather lipstick case, a wallet at best? It's not like the Jackie that was famous in the 1960s/70s and people pay almost retail for the originals. Most people who want a Sylvie, want the AM-period Sylvie that they recognise with the ribbons or the smaller chain buckle that's more recent. That's why I suggested the Gucci Museo, they would pay (market rate, not higher, they already have at least one example of that bag) but would value it.

But its resale value though % higher than paid is even enough to buy a cheap new Gucci or other premium bag. Once the bag's sold it's gone, for what? The price of a Gucci card holder or leather lipstick case, a wallet at best? It's not like the Jackie that was famous in the 1960s/70s and people pay almost retail for the originals. Most people who want a Sylvie, want the AM-period Sylvie that they recognise with the ribbons or the smaller chain buckle that's more recent. That's why I suggested the Gucci Museo, they would pay (market rate, not higher, they already have at least one example of that bag) but would value it.

Of course not, it is just if the Museum isn't interested, we all know the hit we get from selling bags that weren't 100% what we wanted and and then didn't get used, but if she is putting money aside to be able to afford the bag she truly wants and this is one that she won't use all that much... I don't keep things just because they are beautiful, for me they also need to be practical. I used to keep things just "in case" and now doing the almost total clear out, and that is a pain.

Oof thank you everyone for the really excellent insight!

All in all I think I’ll reach out to the Gucci Museum like @papertiger suggested and see if they bite! And then maybe look into consignment. I think @Gabs007 makes a good point, if I don’t 100% love the bag it’s probably best to let it go to a collector (like one of y’all lovely people). It won’t be a windfall of money but a few hundred more in my pocket can get me a bit closer to something I really love! And tbh I prefer vintage Gucci bags to AM Gucci anyway so I guess good for me that the market resell on those isn’t high aha! Thank you everyone who responded. :heart:

Oof thank you everyone for the really excellent insight!

All in all I think I’ll reach out to the Gucci Museum like @papertiger suggested and see if they bite! And then maybe look into consignment. I think @Gabs007 makes a good point, if I don’t 100% love the bag it’s probably best to let it go to a collector (like one of y’all lovely people). It won’t be a windfall of money but a few hundred more in my pocket can get me a bit closer to something I really love! And tbh I prefer vintage Gucci bags to AM Gucci anyway so I guess good for me that the market resell on those isn’t high aha! Thank you everyone who responded. :heart:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but consignment takes a chunk out, I would say for this bag, if you make 100 on it, it's great (but making a few hundred on it is possibly overestimating), you won't get much, but then as you said, vintage bags don't go for all that much.

Have a look yourself and think that you pay commission on the sales price

Reactions: papertiger
Hmm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but consignment takes a chunk out, I would say for this bag, if you make 100 on it, it's great (but making a few hundred on it is possibly overestimating), you won't get much, but then as you said, vintage bags don't go for all that much.

Mm yea I‘m looking into consigning with TRR, especially since they’re having a partnership with Gucci rn. I think the last time I saw one on TRR the same style of Sylvie sold for about $600 and it was in worse condition than mine but who knows how long that sat on the website.

I’m thinking of just listing it on Ebay tbh.

Hmm

Mm yea I‘m looking into consigning with TRR, especially since they’re having a partnership with Gucci rn. I think the last time I saw one on TRR the same style of Sylvie sold for about $600 and it was in worse condition than mine but who knows how long that sat on the website.

I’m thinking of just listing it on Ebay tbh.

I honesty wouldn't list on eBay, if the buyer does the "not as described" or claims "not authentic" you have to pay for return shipment and give the money back and I think pay eBay, if you are lucky you get the item back in the same state it was, if you are not so lucky you get it back stained or without papers, etc., in case you are unlucky, they send you a pair of old shoes back, ebay and PP won't care as it shows you received something back.

Shop around and look how much the commission is on various sites, but I would always only sell with one where it goes through the site, so nobody can claim they haven't received what they bought or it at flaws, you might also want to stalk a few similar bags and see how long they are on there.

• Wow
Look, I am not sure how to say this without coming off as patronizing (and just for the record, I had penny pinch for my first few bags and brands don't define you, you are just as classy without a branded bag as you are with one) but chances are you will not get very much for your bag, I couldn't be happier if I was wrong, just being realistic here, if the Gucci you really want is way out of your reach, keep that one, if it is a bit of waiting and selling this one, go for it. Income or being able to afford luxury brands doesn't define you, but if a bag makes you happy, it is a bonus. Go with your guts on that one, in the end, it is a bag, it is not too essential, fashion is fun and should always be fun, never a competitive sport or feeling bad because you can't afford a non essential luxury good. Just my 5 cents, another 5 dollars and you can afford a fancy Starbucks coffee

Rant warning

Isn't it crazy that '00s logo bag is listed as worth (in one case) more than the rare 1950s wild boar skin with hand-carved wooden handle and dual-coloured (gold-plated and sliver) unique hardware. No justice in the world but I realise I have non-mainstream taste.

I think the good thing about Gucci is that they have so many great styles, there's always something new (or reissued) however that's the challenge too, at resale people like recognisable models and logos for their bucks.