Should I keep or sell my Chanel classic?

bellaxoxo

Nov 19, 2019
Hi everyone :smile: I am looking for some advice
I have been offered £2250 for my Chanel medium double flap classic black/gold hardware. It is from late 80s/early 90s and although old is in immaculate condition. The hardware is the 24ct and is so glowy, I prefer it so much more to the newer bags hardware. I am torn whether it is sensible to sell for what I think is a good price for an older bag or keep it. Do you think if I kept it for a few more years and only used it on special occasions it would still be worth the price I have been offered? Will it go up or down in value if it is kept in the same very good condition it is currently in? Should I sell it and put the money towards a newer classic flap bag? It still has the authenticity card and the hologram has not worn at all. Please help me decide what the most sensible decision for me would be! Thank you

Hi Bella

First of all why do you want to sell?. Your bags sounds Devine with the 24Ct.

In my opinion the older version of the classic flaps have less issues in terms of quality.
I only just purchased my classic flap and it’s quite new. But a vintage one is always special in my opinion I would keep it.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Hi Bella

First of all why do you want to sell?. Your bags sounds Devine with the 24Ct.

In my opinion the older version of the classic flaps have less issues in terms of quality.
I only just purchased my classic flap and it’s quite new. But a vintage one is always special in my opinion I would keep it.

Thanks so much for your reply :smile: my reasons for wanting to sell - I bought the bag because I got it for a very reasonable price and thought it was so beautiful. However I am now asking for advice to sell as I am not sure if I should take the interested buyers £2250 or if it would be wiser to hang on to it, but not sure if it has much chance of going up in value any more due to the age. So I wondered if anyone could share thoughts on whether a bag 20 years old will likely increase any more in value or if I have been offered a good price which I think I probably have been . I thought if I sell for 2250 I could put money towards a new Chanel but as you say the quality just seems incomparable to the older ones. Bella

I don’t know that I understand... if you prefer the older bags with the old hardware, and you already have one of those, why would you sell to buy a new one?

Thanks so much for your reply :smile: my reasons for wanting to sell - I bought the bag because I got it for a very reasonable price and thought it was so beautiful. However I am now asking for advice to sell as I am not sure if I should take the interested buyers £2250 or if it would be wiser to hang on to it, but not sure if it has much chance of going up in value any more due to the age. So I wondered if anyone could share thoughts on whether a bag 20 years old will likely increase any more in value or if I have been offered a good price which I think I probably have been . I thought if I sell for 2250 I could put money towards a new Chanel but as you say the quality just seems incomparable to the older ones. Bella
I don’t know that I understand... if you prefer the older bags with the old hardware, and you already have one of those, why would you sell to buy a new one?

Sorry I am dyslexic so apologies if I am not very clear :smile: I do prefer my older bags hardware, but I am wondering what other people would do in terms of what is best investment wise? Have I been offered a good price for an old bag or is it not worth selling for at 2250 ? Should I sell for this price and put the money towards a newer bag which might be better in terms of future use and re sale - as it will probably have a longer life span compared to my 20 year old bag which might start showing signs of wear in next few years?

I think you need to separate the issues of what it can sell for vs whether or not you will use it, love it, and enjoy it. It sounds like the motive for selling here is that you have been offered what you think is a good price. But perhaps ask yourself is there another bag that you’d like to own more and will use more often than the vintage flap, and do you need to sell the vintage flap in order to fund the new bag. I don’t think the price tag should ever be the first consideration when buying and selling a bag. Good luck with your decision!

As others have said, the real question is whether you love the bag. I have a small black Classic in lambskin, vintage, with the 24k gold. I would not part with this bag, as I find it so beautiful (quilts still look great, bag overall is excellent condition) and it is made impeccably. It seems overwhelmingly the opinion on this forum that vintage bags are made very well and tend to surpass the current bags in quality.

If you wouldn't miss it, then sell it. It does no good to keep something you aren't in love with.

How about sharing a photo for us to ogle? =)

That aside, keep = if you "don't need the money to buy another bag". Sell = if you think you're happier to own a new Chanel bag that you MAY probably wear more and are excited about.

**life is short.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Hi!

Just because you can turn something for profit - in current market/overall situation - doesn't mean it's an investment per se.

That said, the bag being a Chanel from what some might consider "the better days" and it having the 24k hardware, should make it "retain value", overall, better than a newer one will - during any kind of anticipated slump.

Will it increase in value? Maybe. Will it decrease in value? Again, maybe. I wouldn't worry about that at all, especially speaking about a single bag at 2.2k. I take it from your thoughts about getting a new one, that the 2.2k aren't life or death for you anyway, so why even bother? ;) Enjoy that, I'm sure, beautiful and well crafted bag for what it is. ;)

Why was the $ offered to you in first place? Unsolicited? Did you say you might let it go for $? As in have you played with the thought of selling/ "investment" for a longer time already? I only ask to understand how it came to this. ;) If you feel it's a good time to cash out, you can obviously do it. But if you then start to second guessing that decision, monitoring re-sell value of the new bag vs. the old bag there's honestly nothing won it's just going to stress you out.

Personally: I would not (as in never) sell a bag like the one you have, to get a newer one. (My personal, educated, decision from what I have read here on the Chanel board over time.)

Furthermore, to me, this whole "investment"-this, "investment"-that, thing is an incredible overall turn-off. My ROI is fun, memories made, enjoyment - not potential re-sell value. (That will vanish anyway as soon as the market is flooded with this stuff because of another change in generation. Only truly exceptional & rare pieces will have a chance to stand that ultimate test in the end. (Look what happened to so many things cherished by prior generations, and with increasing offerings slumped to literally pennies on the dollar))

Obviously, IMHO.

I hope you'll come to a satisfactory conclusion on how to proceed, one that is good for you and makes you happy!

Kind regards,
Oliver

How about sharing a photo for us to ogle? =)

That aside, keep = if you "don't need the money to buy another bag". Sell = if you think you're happier to own a new Chanel bag that you MAY probably wear more and are excited about.

**life is short.
Sure . Here she is :smile: I always feel like photos never do justice !

Attachments

• 096A6FCE-3209-4AB4-85AA-2B16A7A1E2AC.jpeg
    096A6FCE-3209-4AB4-85AA-2B16A7A1E2AC.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 474
  • C670BA86-9E61-45C8-9B4B-66D96C6CBF48.jpeg
    C670BA86-9E61-45C8-9B4B-66D96C6CBF48.jpeg
    213.3 KB · Views: 466
Hm. FWIW, I understand where OP is coming from. While the bag isn't an investment, it's also nice knowing you have something in your closet that appreciates in value *if* you ever choose to sell.

Based on my experience in the secondhand market, I get the sense that
- For the new models, they value recent series more
- Nonetheless the overall secondhand market increases when Chanel increases its retail prices

So to your original question, will the value of your vintage bag increase? I think it depends on what you think people want when shopping pre-loved. My personal opinion is that in the future, you will get better offers on this bag BC it's vintage and so beautiful; the new bags just don't compare. I also think that the secondhand market is becoming / is already flooded with Chanel classic flaps so the overall price abritrage oops won't be as good as years passed.

HTH. Personally I'm thinking about getting rid of my newer caviar bag for a vintage one BC the vintage ones are just truly breathtaking!