Should I keep or return this twiggy?

noelliella

Jun 9, 2022
I got it for $150 total.

I didn't see in the picture but the entire outside is painted in blue leather paint. Compared to the inner tag and mirror, it makes me cry; it's dry, looks dimensionless and the color is so acrylic chalk paint blue, and it was obviously painted on the stitching as well which completely makes the bag look like any other bag to me.

Is it was bad as I think and I should return it, or is it ok for the price? Is there anything I can do to remove the paint and then dye it to hide whatever blemishes the previous owner was trying to do? What would you do?

Thank you!!! :heart:

Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.04.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.04.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.05.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.05.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.05.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-10 at 5.12.40 PM.png

I got it for $150 total.

I didn't see in the picture but the entire outside is painted in blue leather paint. Compared to the inner tag and mirror, it makes me cry; it's dry, looks dimensionless and the color is so acrylic chalk paint blue, and it was obviously painted on the stitching as well which completely makes the bag look like any other bag to me.

Is it was bad as I think and I should return it, or is it ok for the price? Is there anything I can do to remove the paint and then dye it to hide whatever blemishes the previous owner was trying to do? What would you do?

View attachment 5738730View attachment 5738731View attachment 5738732View attachment 5738733View attachment 5738734
View attachment 5738735
For $150, I would keep it, send it to Love My Bags and see if she can do anything…but I am a pack rat and keep everything. I actually don’t think it looks that bad but maybe the bad is easier to see in person.

Find out from a leather repair expert how much it would cost to get it to where you would be happy with it and then re-evaluate the value related the repair + purchase cost. You thought you were getting that bag for $150 but how much will it actually be?

But honestly, I would suggest that anything where you say, "it makes me cry," is probably best returned.

I got it for $150 total.

View attachment 5738730View attachment 5738731View attachment 5738732View attachment 5738733View attachment 5738734
View attachment 5738735
Keep in mind that it was recoloured for a reason. Even if you get the paint off there are probably going to be issues with the original colour/leather/corners. If you’re planning to send it away I don’t think it will be a cheap fix.
On the other hand if you want to try a little DIY there’s lot of info out there. Look for posts on the care and maintenance thread by @kerryisntreal , she’s pretty knowledgeable on how to do repairs.

I don't think you should keep it if the bag doesn't exactly bring you joy but rather, disappointment. I understand that $150 for a Twiggy is a good deal, but how much of a bargain is it going to be with all the repair costs added? And even then, like Muchstaff said, if it was redyed it was probably because the original color faded severely.

Also, if it wasn't disclosed in the listing that the bag was recolored, then you should absolutely demand partial refund if you do decide to keep the bag.

I also believe you should return it, if possible. It’s a big messy job to re-dye yourself, and even an excellent professional can not bring the texture back to what it was originally.

Echoing most of what's been said here - It's most likely going to take quite a bit of effort (and/or $$) to *maybe* get it to a place where you like it, so probably better to return.

Since this is a lighter color bag, IMO the options for how to fix a bad paint job are realistically 1. removing + recovering with another acrylic "dye" job, or 2. removing + using a penetrating dye to change the color of the bag to a darker shade. I say this because solvents you'd need to use to remove the acrylic are probably not going to be very nice to the leather underneath as far as consistency goes (think blotchiness), which you'd most likely want to cover - so ultimately you net either a painted bag, or a bag in a different shade than you bought. Another consideration is that any investment into fixing this will also prob be a sunk cost, as if you ever chose to resell it, it probably wouldn't fetch more than what you paid for it initially.

Reactions: muchstuff
I think this is an 05 Ice Blue or Sky Blue? The value of the older bags is in the quality of the leather. This dye job eliminated that value, and any repair/remedial efforts won't restore that value. Get another bag you will love from the start, which is not hard to do with a Balenciaga bag. If you're patient, you can find a loveable bag (with a decent resale value) for less than you paid for this bag + remedial costs/efforts.

I personally think return this Twiggy. If it was free, I may attempt to fix it but use the $150 you spent for this bag and top up when another suitable Twiggy comes along. A bargain isn’t a bargain if the hassle of getting it fixed is twice the price. Even a DIY job isn’t a guarantee you will love the results. Good luck!

Reactions: muchstuff
Update is I kept it! Because Poshmark somehow wouldnt approve my return even though it didn't list painted in the description because the owner didnt know since they bought it from vestair. Anyways I kinda like it now, it wasn't what I was originally going for but it gives sort of a cool young vibe that kinda goes with street wear style (kinda like mary kate's) and honestly makes every outfit kinda fun so I'm glad i kept it!!

I might dye it in the future to black or something darker though. Does anyone have a link of how to remove + re-dye with penetrating dye?