Should I keep my Chloe?

Jun 6, 2010
Toronto
After a long time of umm-ing and ahh-ing, I finally decided to purchase he Chloe Drew in Motty grey in the mini size! I do love it, it holds my essentials, and in all honesty it looks amazing with everything. Practically all my other bags are black so it's a welcome change to my wardrobe! But I can't get over a few things.... I was wondering whether these bothered any other Chloe Drew-owners as well and if you got past it?

-scratches on the front plate! The turnbuckle mechanism is albeit very pretty, but I can't see myself putting the little pin in each time, so there will definitely be scratches.
-the "jingle" of the hardware. Didn't realize it before I bought it, but I find the jingling especially strong where the strap meets the hooks, every time you walk
-the softness of the leather. Ultimately this makes it beautiful but I've also seen well-used dress and they are so saggy... I really want it to maintain its structure
-too trendy? I feel like this bag is everywhere, and it's gorgeous so I totally get it! I'm just worried it'll look dated too quickly...

If I don't end up keeping this I might instead go for the LV alma bb, I've been wanting that one for longer and I think that overall I might get more use out of it... But the Chloe Drew kind of fills a hole in my wardrobe of having a lighter coloured "fancy" bag for special occasions... or day to day use!

Any optinions you can share would be helpful, TIA!

mtstmichel

O.G.
Aug 26, 2008
US
Have you considered this season's version? The changes made seem to address most of your concerns. Goat leather will mean a sturdier bag to maintain the shape. A connected chain strap might eliminate the jingle that you mentioned. A different hardware (appears to be brushed metal) might reduce the scratches.

Reactions: pbmuffin
Jun 6, 2010
Toronto
Have you considered this season's version? The changes made seem to address most of your concerns. Goat leather will mean a sturdier bag to maintain the shape. A connected chain strap might eliminate the jingle that you mentioned. A different hardware (appears to be brushed metal) might reduce the scratches.
There's a new season version? I had no clue, actually... do they look the same? Thanks for the tip!

lordguinny

O.G.
May 16, 2006
I believe there is a thread regarding the new chain on the Drew. The body of the bag is the same, but the chain is thicker, loops through the rings and there are no knots. It does change the aesthetics of the bag, and whether or not it appeals to you depends on your preference. They are both beautiful versions to me, but I prefer the daintier, more feminine chain of the original model. The newer one makes it feel more similar to the chains on other bags, like what you would find with the Gucci marmont, MK chain bags, etc. Don't get me wrong, those chains are pretty (I am eyeballing the Gucci marmont myself), and suited for those makes/models. But for the Drew specifically, I like the jewelry tone of the thinner chain.

As for your questions:

-scratches on the front plate! The turnbuckle mechanism is albeit very pretty, but I can't see myself putting the little pin in each time, so there will definitely be scratches. I haven't experienced any scratching yet, but I know it's an invetibility. This happens with most of my bags with gold tone hardware. As long as it doesn't tarnish like my LVs do, I chalk it up as a hazard of simply owning a bag. :P
-the "jingle" of the hardware. Didn't realize it before I bought it, but I find the jingling especially strong where the strap meets the hooks, every time you walk. Hmmmm...my hardware doesn't jingle? perhaps your knots need to be tightened?
-the softness of the leather. Ultimately this makes it beautiful but I've also seen well-used dress and they are so saggy... I really want it to maintain its structure. Again, I haven't seen any saggy bags and mine is pretty firm. I keep it stuffed when not used. I also don't fill it to the brim. I love the soft leather. It makes it more luxurious. I heard the new leather is of a different kind, so perhaps that will quell your concerns about sagging.
-too trendy? I feel like this bag is everywhere, and it's gorgeous so I totally get it! I'm just worried it'll look dated too quickly... The saddle bag shape is timeless, to me. With that said, the Drew is definitely a hot "it" bag right now, so it's trendy. The question is how long will it remain trendy...that's to be seen. But in the meantime enjoy your bag! :nuts:

pinksky777

Jun 11, 2013
montreal,qc
Exactly what I was going to say. I've had four Chloé drew bags now and the two I've recently gotten are the new SS17 versions. Sooo much better quality with the chunkier strap that can doubled up so it could be shorter if needed. Also the leather is now goat instead of lamb so it's not as annoyingly floppy when you open the bag, not as much of a slouch and will retain its shape a lot better over time. Plus the brushed gold hardware is so much more vintage boho chic than the shiny, which is ultimately the style the brand wants to reflect I feel. To give you an idea here's some photos of mine from my Instagram @whiterosesintherain IMG_1488137720.974354.jpg IMG_1488137757.210607.jpg IMG_1488137815.062323.jpg IMG_1488137852.901536.jpg

Jun 6, 2010
Toronto
Ooh the new design is really pretty! Thanks all for your input, I did end up sticking with the older version I had purchased. I do think the chain on the new version is a little thick for my liking, but it would have been nice to have the strap shortening option!

lordguinny

O.G.
May 16, 2006
Ooh the new design is really pretty! Thanks all for your input, I did end up sticking with the older version I had purchased. I do think the chain on the new version is a little thick for my liking, but it would have been nice to have the strap shortening option!
Motty Gray is a gorgeous color too. It can be used in all season, and the gold against the gray is just gorgeous.

Reactions: Havanese 28

Havanese 28

May 4, 2014
Wheeling, WV
B
Exactly what I was going to say. I've had four Chloé drew bags now and the two I've recently gotten are the new SS17 versions. Sooo much better quality with the chunkier strap that can doubled up so it could be shorter if needed. Also the leather is now goat instead of lamb so it's not as annoyingly floppy when you open the bag, not as much of a slouch and will retain its shape a lot better over time. Plus the brushed gold hardware is so much more vintage boho chic than the shiny, which is ultimately the style the brand wants to reflect I feel. To give you an idea here's some photos of mine from my Instagram @whiterosesintherain View attachment 3617286 View attachment 3617287 View attachment 3617289 View attachment 3617290
Beautiful! Would mind sharing what size and color the first one pictured is? This bag is so chic!