Should I keep it? Need some opinions...

MonkeysInk

O.G.
Mar 4, 2007
So...I got this large parchment Madeline bag at Macy's for an absolute steal yesterday - $150~ish marked down from the original $428. It was the only Madeline they had, which is why I grabbed it to think about it.

I've wanted a Madeline for a while and picked this one only because it was a good deal. I really would have preferred a brown one. I love the shape and love the way it fits under my arm. My only other Coach is a black large Carly, so I like that this is boxy and structured for some contrast to my other bag. I'm still on the hunt for a brown bag, too, both retail and on the 'bay.

I'm not keen on the purple scarf, but would I be totally foolish to cut it off and put a legacy stripe bow on or change out black/brown so it would go with my winter outfits? Or will I look totally ridiculous with a white bag this winter?

I thought I'd ask all of the experts here - I've been a long-timer lurker and thought I'd finally come out of hiding to get some advice!

DSC00889.jpg

If what you really wanted was a brown one and you only got the white because it was a good deal, then I would say take it back and hold out for the one you really want. That's just me though.

Heh. Interesting predicament. I was recently in the same situation myself (bought 2 bags on a really "great deal" that were not my first color choice, etc) and let me just say it ended in both bags being returned eventually. Good deal or not, if you don't totally love it, you will not use it is what I have found, no matter the price.
That being said if you do keep it, since it's white you could put a wide variety of scarves on it that would look fantastic.

It's funny...I was looking at pebbled leather in an off-white color to carry as a fall/winter bag - I guess this one's just so much more white than off-white, which is why I'm struggling with it as not being very winter-ish. Not that we get "winter" in Texas, really, but you know what I mean. :smile:

The first thing I did with my geranium madeline was cut the scarf off. That way I could use what scarfs I wanted with it. I have read where others on this forum have taken their scarfs off too. There are just two threads you snip on the scarf and it leaves the scarf were you can still use it.
If you like the color, I suggest you keep it unless you just bought it because it was a good price.
Your bag is pretty and you do live in Texas were we don't have that much in the way of winters. :tup:

Last edited:
I looooove the parchment madeline!

If it were me, I would keep it & change up the scarf. I have a geranium Madeline and took off the scarf it came with. I got the perfume print scarf to use with it during spring/summer and the tattersall scarf for fall/winter.

IF you only bought it b/c it was a good price and you don't really like it, you should probably part with it. If you think you would use it, then by all means keep it.

I'm on the hunt for a cute brown bag too... so if you find one, let me know :idea:

FWIW, I think it would be a great winter white bag (and since we have summer and February down here, wouldn't worry about winter!). Switching out scarves is one of my favorite ways to change the whole look of a bag - and it's kinda fun playing with 'em, too. I vote to keep her unless you really, really don't think you'd use her.

Unless you hate the color and know you wouldn't use it, I'd keep it. It's a fantastic bag that will go with tons of things, and you can change out the scarf to go with more looks. It was a total steal too. I usually tell people to return things they don't love, but at that price, I'm making an exception.

I do love it...I think I need to keep looking for a brown bag, too, and then I'll have brown, black and white to choose from. I'm glad to hear that others are cutting off the scarves they came with - I wasn't sure if I was going to be persona non grata on the forums if I did that. :smile: The purple is cute (and I'd LOVE one of the new deep purple bags for winter), but the light lavender color just isn't me.

I looked on the 'bay to see about selling it and they're not currently selling for enough to make it worthwhile, but it was a great idea.

I do love it...I think I need to keep looking for a brown bag, too, and then I'll have brown, black and white to choose from. I'm glad to hear that others are cutting off the scarves they came with - I wasn't sure if I was going to be persona non grata on the forums if I did that. :smile: The purple is cute (and I'd LOVE one of the new deep purple bags for winter), but the light lavender color just isn't me.

I looked on the 'bay to see about selling it and they're not currently selling for enough to make it worthwhile, but it was a great idea.

You can keep the tags on the bag and sell it when the color is 'in season'! That is, if you still don't love it by then. :tup: