Should I go through with this transaction?

Gvamty

O.G.
Jul 3, 2010
Hi,

I am working with a buyer on a Celine bag that she's interested in. She pay paled me via personal payment right away for the bag and due to a miscommunication she thought price included shipping. When I asked her to make payment for shipping she said she had a FedEx acct and can email me a label to use. I called PayPal to see if there was any chance for a chargeback on this transaction and they advised me that the buyer could easily do accredit card charge back and I would lose my item and money. Given this, I told the buyer that I would refund her the amount and send her a PayPal invoice. She said ok and is very sweet but, she then asked me if I could ship to her work address instead of her home address and I told her I can only ship to PayPal confirmed address! I will be shipping g using USPS fully insured and with signature required.

Should I be concerned about this transactions? Are these red flags? Am I protected if I make her pay they PayPal invoice and print labels thru PayPal for the confirmed address and ship USPS signature requires and insured?

Hi,

I am working with a buyer on a Celine bag that she's interested in. She pay paled me via personal payment right away for the bag and due to a miscommunication she thought price included shipping. When I asked her to make payment for shipping she said she had a FedEx acct and can email me a label to use. I called PayPal to see if there was any chance for a chargeback on this transaction and they advised me that the buyer could easily do accredit card charge back and I would lose my item and money. Given this, I told the buyer that I would refund her the amount and send her a PayPal invoice. She said ok and is very sweet but, she then asked me if I could ship to her work address instead of her home address and I told her I can only ship to PayPal confirmed address! I will be shipping g using USPS fully insured and with signature required.

Should I be concerned about this transactions? Are these red flags? Am I protected if I make her pay they PayPal invoice and print labels thru PayPal for the confirmed address and ship USPS signature requires and insured?

If she paid you via personal payment (Friends and Family) then you have nothing to be concerned about; there's no buyer protection with this kind of payment, as it's considered a gift.

Where is the transaction through?

I personally do see red flags with this transaction. The FedEx label then wanting you to ship to a non paypal authorized shipping address. What is her prior feedback on the items she bought and does she buy high ticket items or small few dollar things? When was the last time she bought something?
My thought is even if she paid personal friends and family one can always claim unauthorized payment from her account.
It may be a good transaction with no problems, but the address situation is always a big red flag from the beginning in many scams out there.

I would do what you plan, with the paypal invoice and label printed through paypal to the account authorized address. Make sure it says seller protection and get insurance and signature confirmation.

Last edited:
If she paid you via personal payment (Friends and Family) then you have nothing to be concerned about; there's no buyer protection with this kind of payment, as it's considered a gift.

Although there's no PP buyer protection with a personal payment, if it's funded with a credit card, she can dispute it and you can be hit with a chargeback.

I don't recommend shipping with "her" fedex account. There are too many instances of fraud.

How much is the item? Was it purchased/sold on ebay?

I have to ship things to my husband's business. Delivery services won't come to my house when there is snow on the ground, which is most of the year where I live. Maybe she has a similar problem. Or maybe she would rather it be dropped off to her because she wouldn't want it sitting out all day and have a chance to get stolen.

She initially contacted me on ebay but, wanted to save on ebay fees so we are doing the transaction outside ebay.

I personally do see red flags with this transaction. The FedEx label then wanting you to ship to a non paypal authorized shipping address. What is her prior feedback on the items she bought and does she buy high ticket items or small few dollar things? When was the last time she bought something?
My thought is even if she paid personal friends and family one can always claim unauthorized payment from her account.
It may be a good transaction with no problems, but the address situation is always a big red flag from the beginning in many scams out there.

I would do what you plan, with the paypal invoice and label printed through paypal to the account authorized address. Make sure it says seller protection and get insurance and signature confirmation.

I was surprised when I woke up to a payment because she had asked me send some pics of the bag and I did last night and this morning she sent me the money but, given the item is expensive shipping is also expensive and I was asking her to also make a payment for the shipping. This is when she asked me why shipping was expensive and that she would send me a label. She seems rather sweet but, I want to protect myself too. She has 2 +ve ratings in the last month and 42 total over 8yrs. I can't really see what she's bought but, she's left +ve feedback for all her purchases. I didn't see any -ve feedback.

Although there's no PP buyer protection with a personal payment, if it's funded with a credit card, she can dispute it and you can be hit with a chargeback.

I don't recommend shipping with "her" fedex account. There are too many instances of fraud.

How much is the item? Was it purchased/sold on ebay?

I don't plan to use her label and will only ship USPS with full insurance and signature confirmation. The item is 1850 and it was listed on ebay but, she decided to do direct paypal to save ebay fees(Price was 2099 for ebay).

I have to ship things to my husband's business. Delivery services won't come to my house when there is snow on the ground, which is most of the year where I live. Maybe she has a similar problem. Or maybe she would rather it be dropped off to her because she wouldn't want it sitting out all day and have a chance to get stolen.

I understand that, I'm not at home mon-friday too and when a package needs signature, I have to wait till saturday or leave work early to pick it up from the post office. This is the exact reason she quoted and I understand it rather well. However, I've read so many stories of fraud that I'd rather be careful and err on the side of caution.

She initially contacted me on ebay but, wanted to save on ebay fees so we are doing the transaction outside ebay.

The item is 1850 and it was listed on ebay but, she decided to do direct paypal to save ebay fees(Price was 2099 for ebay).
If you read the posts here, you'll find that you aren't going to get a lot of support for going outside ebay in order to save fees.

Those of us who buy and sell on ebay resent those who cheat ebay out of the fees it has rightly earned. As a result of cheaters, we all pay higher fees both as buyers and as sellers. Sellers pay higher fees when ebay raises fees to cover the losses inflicted by those who circumvent the fees and buyers pay higher prices as a result of sellers having to increase their prices to cover those higher fees.

Also, it's quite often that we read posts here by people who were victimized by a scammer after going outside ebay.

My opinion is that you should sell the item through ebay, pay the ebay fees, ship in accordance with ebay and paypal policies and both you and the buyer will have your respective protections.

ETA: If it's the listing I think it is, it looks like you frequently end your listings early because of an "error in the listing."

Last edited:
If you read the posts here, you'll find that you aren't going to get a lot of support for going outside ebay in order to save fees.

Those of us who buy and sell on ebay resent those who cheat ebay out of the fees it has rightly earned. As a result of cheaters, we all pay higher fees both as buyers and as sellers. Sellers pay higher fees when ebay raises fees to cover the losses inflicted by those who circumvent the fees and buyers pay higher prices as a result of sellers having to increase their prices to cover those higher fees.

Also, it's quite often that we read posts here by people who were victimized by a scammer after going outside ebay.

My opinion is that you should sell the item through ebay, pay the ebay fees, ship in accordance with ebay and paypal policies and both you and the buyer will have your respective protections.

ETA: If it's the listing I think it is, it looks like you frequently end your listings early because of an "error in the listing."

I didn't realize that I was hurting anyone by agreeing to the buyers request to complete the transaction outside of ebay. Infact, I'm so scared of being scammed on ebay and that is why I agree to paypal transaction because I think it might be a serious buyer trying to save some money. When I sell, I don't make any extra money by going outside ebay. Thank you for your insight and I will be a more responsible ebayer in the future.

I don't know if you are looking at my listings but, any listing I've ended recently was because I got tired of lowball offers and decided not to sell them and all the items are still in my possession.

Your buyer came to you via ebay.. The exposure you got was by being on ebay.
It's really only appropriate that the transaction should have been completed on ebay
& your future transactions as well, IMO.

Would only ship to a confirmed PP address using a label that you provide not one that your
buyer will.

Sweet is not a good indication of being "honest", IMO..

Contacting you to go out of Ebay is a big red flag. You agreeing to do it is very unprofessional and not fair. It will be interesting to see if you get scammed and how you will run to paypal for help. I as a legitimate buyer have never tried to go around Ebay to save money. If you buyer has no problem with this I am sure she thinks it is OK to scam you too. Many of us here feel if you use Ebay to make a sale they deserve to get paid. How do you think it is not hurting anyone to list on Ebay and take the money off Ebay so they give you the exposure but receive no fee when your items sell? Read the rules of Ebay.

Contacting you to go out of Ebay is a big red flag. You agreeing to do it is very unprofessional and not fair. It will be interesting to see if you get scammed and how you will run to paypal for help. I as a legitimate buyer have never tried to go around Ebay to save money. If you buyer has no problem with this I am sure she thinks it is OK to scam you too. Many of us here feel if you use Ebay to make a sale they deserve to get paid. How do you think it is not hurting anyone to list on Ebay and take the money off Ebay so they give you the exposure but receive no fee when your items sell? Read the rules of Ebay.
The same can be said of a seller who cheats ebay and has the buyer pay by personal payment so the buyer loses protection.

Fee avoidance whether it is ebay fees, paypal fees, customs, taxes etc is done by a lot of otherwise ethical people. There have been lots of threads on this. I agree that taking ebay transactions off ebay is not right - if everybody did it there would be no ebay left. But I think assuming that a fee avoider is also going to be a scammer is a pretty big leap. (If she was going to scam you anyway why would she care that your price was reduced?)