Tech Should I get the iphone 4S now or wait til the iphone 5?

meagan1993

Feb 20, 2012
I'm due for an upgrade and since I'm in college my parents said I could get the iphone. I've only had basic phones, ones that didn't require data, so I'm pretty excited about this upgrade!

However, $200 is still a lot of money. If I waited for the iphone 5 comes out, would the 4S be cheaper by then? Or should I just go for the iphone 5?

I'm not really a phone/apple person so the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on any type of phone is kind of ridiculous to me (but my parents are offering and a smartphone will be useful, and I've already picked out a cute case!). Also, I don't think that the new iphone will have that much more to offer, at least not to me.

I'm due for an upgrade and since I'm in college my parents said I could get the iphone. I've only had basic phones, ones that didn't require data, so I'm pretty excited about this upgrade!

However, $200 is still a lot of money. If I waited for the iphone 5 comes out, would the 4S be cheaper by then? Or should I just go for the iphone 5?

I'm not really a phone/apple person so the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on any type of phone is kind of ridiculous to me (but my parents are offering and a smartphone will be useful, and I've already picked out a cute case!). Also, I don't think that the new iphone will have that much more to offer, at least not to me.

I think if you've never had this sort of phone before, the 4 or 4S is the better option. I have the 4S and my dad has the 4 and there really isn't much difference apart from mine has a significantly better camera. I wouldn't recommend the 3 though because it's nowhere near as good as the 4. If you want a great phone which isn't as expensive as the 5 will be, get the 4. I don't think the 4S will go down in price significantly.

I'd def go for the 4, if this is your first smart phone. The 4 is cheaper and I don't think the 4s will come down significantly either once the 5 is released.

I love my iphone and will never go to any other smartphone out there. And Ive had all platforms (blackberry, android and windows). iPhone is just for me.

I would wait to see if there is going to be a price reduction on the older models once they announce the 5 - I'm sure the 4 would be great for your needs! If a camera is a deal-breaker, I'd lean towards the 4S; otherwise, the 4 would be a good bet.

I would get a 4. Like you said, this is your first 'non basic' phone and I think the iPhone 4 has a lot to offer already. The 4s and 5 will only have a few new things to add, but not major changes.

You don't really sound like you're in any rush, so if I were in your position I would just wait to see what the new iPhone 5 will be like price-wise.

But- if you are feeling impatient and just want to get your hands on an awesome iPhone, the 4S/4 is a great phone. I'm using that now. What is great about Apple is that you don't always have to upgrade your phone every year since the product stays so relevant with the constant software updates :flowers:

Honestly, whenever buying an electronic device -- iWhatever, laptop, what have you -- always always always buy the latest version with the most bells and whistles that you can afford. There is no use in skimping on $50 or whatever to get the one with lesser GB storage, or getting last year's technology when this year's technology is $100 more. Resale is better, and you'll stay happier with your purchase longer with no regrets.

Everyone's dividing line for what's an acceptable price is different, but if the difference $100 between getting a 4s and a new 5 (for example), get the 5. $100 spread over 24 months (average length of a contract) is nothing.

(Obviously, I'm talking about the US cell phone market. Other markets work differently.)

heard the iphone 5's coming out pretty soon~ but have u considered other phones? my friends are raving about the samsung galaxy S3. i'm using iphone though hehe XD the price of it is already coming down and if u're not into the specifics prob like what others said, go for iphone 4.

Right now, you can get an iphone 4 for $49 at Best Buy. Apple Store WILL match the price. I love my 4 and although I am a "new technology" junkie, I'd be hard pressed to buy a 5 unless there is a real difference.

I would do either the 4 or wait for the 5. If it were me, I'd get the 5 when it comes out, but if you don't want to wait, go with the 4. The 4s doesn't offer much more (just siri) than the 4.