Should I Get my Senior Dog's Teeth Cleaned?

nprotundo

Oct 23, 2007
I was told by my vet that I should make an appointment for my dogs ( a golden retriever and a cocker spaniel) to get their teeth cleaned. Normally, this would not really worry me. However, now that they are 8 and I've heard so many horror stories...Im not so sure If this is something I should do. They have had their teeth cleaned in the past (when they were 2 or 3) but now their older. What do you guys think?

Do either of the dogs have any badly decayed or broken teeth that would need to be extracted? That would be a deciding factor since damaged teeth can be painful and the infection dangerous to the dog.

We've had teeth cleanings done on dogs that have been 9+ years and have not had any problems. One consideration is that if the dogs do have tooth problems you should get them taken care of now before the dogs get older and anesthetic is even more dangerous to them.

I can sympathize with your fear of having the dogs go under anesthetic. I don't like to subject our dogs to this either.

My 11 year old Greyhound has horrible teeth and he has to have them cleaned every year. We have not had a single problem so far. I would have them do pre surgery bloodwork to make sure everything is ok. If everything else is ok I would have them cleaned. I worry every time he goes and I make them call me as soon as he wakes up just so I know he is ok and recovering.

My 11 year old Greyhound has horrible teeth and he has to have them cleaned every year. We have not had a single problem so far. I would have them do pre surgery bloodwork to make sure everything is ok. If everything else is ok I would have them cleaned. I worry every time he goes and I make them call me as soon as he wakes up just so I know he is ok and recovering.

Agree with Cindi...it is always a good idea to get pre-surgical blood work...just like with humans ;)

Do either of the dogs have any badly decayed or broken teeth that would need to be extracted? That would be a deciding factor since damaged teeth can be painful and the infection dangerous to the dog.

We've had teeth cleanings done on dogs that have been 9+ years and have not had any problems. One consideration is that if the dogs do have tooth problems you should get them taken care of now before the dogs get older and anesthetic is even more dangerous to them.

I can sympathize with your fear of having the dogs go under anesthetic. I don't like to subject our dogs to this either.

No, they don't have any broken teeth or badly decayed teeth. However, it is looking pretty bad to where if I don't get them cleaned, it will most likely result in more serious things down the road. I guess that's my answer then.

Have you ever looked for a vet who offers anaesthesia free dental services?
I'm not in the US but I know these services are available in the US, you just have to find a vet :smile:

My dog only ever had anaesthesia free cleaning and my cats continue to have their teeth cleaned that way. My vet offers it to all cats and dogs unless they're very aggressive or need surgical removal of broken, problem teeth.

If you're interested maybe try a search for "anaesthesia free dental services for dogs".

Have you ever looked for a vet who offers anaesthesia free dental services?
I'm not in the US but I know these services are available in the US, you just have to find a vet :smile:

My dog only ever had anaesthesia free cleaning and my cats continue to have their teeth cleaned that way. My vet offers it to all cats and dogs unless they're very aggressive or need surgical removal of broken, problem teeth.

If you're interested maybe try a search for "anaesthesia free dental services for dogs".

Wow, I didn't know they did that. That would be awesome. I'm going to do a google search now.

Edit: I looked it up. Does it hurt your dog?

^^
No I don't believe it hurt her at all. She never cried or looked too worried during the procedure or seemed to experience any pain or difficulty eating afterwards... although I wouldn't say she actually enjoyed being held securely with her mouth open, lips curled back etc.

The dog that I'm talking about - my old Newfoundland - is no longer with us but I'm glad we had options other than anaesthesia because like all giant breeds Newfs can get into trouble when they go under.

^^
No I don't believe it hurt her at all. She never cried or looked too worried during the procedure or seemed to experience any pain or difficulty eating afterwards... although I wouldn't say she actually enjoyed being held securely with her mouth open, lips curled back etc.

The dog that I'm talking about - my old Newfoundland - is no longer with us but I'm glad we had options other than anaesthesia because like all giant breeds Newfs can get into trouble when they go under.

Thank you so much Straight Laced. I think there may be one vet around where I live that MIGHT do it. I will call tomorrow to see if they do.