Should I get another Louis Vuitton bag?

Rossanna95

Sep 20, 2020
My husband is stopping me from getting another Louis Vuitton bag. He says I already got one(the neverfull mm) and I sold my speedy 25 to my mom and I want to buy the speedy 30. I want it so bad and he doesn’t understand my love for purses. I support his love for cars. He spent 12,000 on his car. And he’s going to spend more money on it.

Same as my husband. He told me 1 is good enough. I think you should talk to him and get yourself another one. Its bother us so much for not getting what we want, especially when you want it so bad. I think about it when I sleep too hahhaah.. Talk to him, hopefully he understand. The speedy is classic, never go out of style and you can always sell it if later you don't want it or need money :smile: Am going to get my 2nd one soon. I want the Speedy B25. Good luck.

Same as my husband. He told me 1 is good enough. I think you should talk to him and get yourself another one. Its bother us so much for not getting what we want, especially when you want it so bad. I think about it when I sleep too hahhaah.. Talk to him, hopefully he understand. The speedy is classic, never go out of style and you can always sell it if later you don't want it or need money :smile: Am going to get my 2nd one soon. I want the Speedy B25. Good luck.
Thank you! I will definitely do that. I dreamed about the neverfull mm for weeks before I got it Haha. I talked to my husband so many times about this. He said “are you going to use it everyday? Are you going to use it everyday? When I buy things I use it everyday”. Good luck to you too

If the money you spend on handbags is your own, I'd say he can advise but not decide ;). If it's his or from your joint account, that's probably another story. That's why I'm a fan of not totally combining finances but everyone retaining some money / having a monthly budget to spend however they like without getting permission, be it for a car or a handbag.

I have a husband that is the opposite, tells me to buy everything lol. But I do think long and hard before I buy things and consider if I will get a lot of use out of it. The motto in our household is as long as all the bills are paid, we are free to spend as we like. But like the above poster, we do not have joint accounts.
Mine is same lol
but we are in joint account

I have a husband that is the opposite, tells me to buy everything lol. But I do think long and hard before I buy things and consider if I will get a lot of use out of it. The motto in our household is as long as all the bills are paid, we are free to spend as we like. But like the above poster, we do not have joint accounts.
Mine's the same, I think he does it to not feel bad about his own purchases.

It makes me very sad to read that. For my understanding, in a partnership you share your interests or consider those of the other. No matter who brings the money home. Even if "only" the man goes to work, one has agreed on this way of life. .Just because I take care of the house and garden are my wishes no less valuable than those of my husband.
My husband always asks me to buy something nice and he want to see me happy. I was now happy that he bought a sports car and also treated himself to something. Even if i'm not interested in the car, i think it's nice to see how happy he is. That's what partnership is all about: loving and respecting your partner and his or her needs.
I hope you treat yourself to the bag you want.

tell him you need another husband

(kidding)

i would understand his point if you already had 10 or so LV bags, but if you only have the neverfull, a speedy wouldn't hurt (plus it's a classic!). as long as the bills are paid and you have emergency savings, you should be able to buy something nice for yourself (as does he, with his car).

If you have separate finances and can afford it then #treatyoself. If you have joint finances then maybe have a discussion about how many bags you realistically want. I think anywhere from 5 to 15 is reasonable. Every working person should reasonably have a business bag, a crossbody bag, a tote bag, a backpack, and a travel bag. Women should also probably have a clutch and/or miniaudere. And then there are SLGs.

The neverfull can take you from the grocery store to the airport, but IMO you really can't use it for formal events, and you may not always want to use a tote depending on what you're doing.

If your husband has an objection to having more than one bag from the brand then I would suggest getting a clutch from Bottega Veneta, a crossbody from Chanel, a cabin bag from Rimowa or Globetrotter, a backpack from YSL, etc. Variety can be the spice of life.

If he has an objection to having more than one bag total then you have to explain to him that a bag collection is as utilitarian as a car, and only having one is like having a car with only one tire.

If finances are a concern then building a designer bag collection by getting one every 6 months to a year is totally reasonable to me. Christmas and birthdays are great occasions to ask the DH or to treat yourself, and something to look forward to.

You can prioritize the bags you spend on, too. For example get Samsonite luggage, an unbranded clutch, a Jansport/Eastpak/Fjallraven backpack, a Coach business bag, etc., so that you can afford your grail bags over time.

IMO $12k on a car purchase is very reasonable if not frugal if that's his only car. But if he bought a second car or spent $12k upgrading (i.e. not servicing) one, that is a luxury, and if he'll spend that in a year, he should understand why you would want to spend $4k+ at LV in a year.

I think OP husband spend money on an ancient coveted American muscle car...why else would he spend more money on car?
Honestly-He going to SPEND a lot of money to restore it back to it glory. A LOT of money.

If you have your own money and bills are paid off. Tell him to suck it.

When I started with LV bags I had similar discussion with my partner but it was more because I got 2 bags, a wallet and a Folio within a very short time and was lurking about what to buy next. At the end we discussed and agreed to buy 1 bag per year and 1 or 2 SLGs. Now I own 5 bags and several SLG‘s and it‘s totally fine because in principle I am fine with a bag for each occasion.
If you tell your husband that a big bag like your NF is for different needs than the Speedy at least to be able to rotate the two.
happy to hear what happened since this post started