Should I feel wrong for carrying LV?

xolvxo

Jul 24, 2008
Hi Ladies and Gents,
I am a school teacher and yesterday was our first day for faculty and all 500 of us have a beginning of the year meeting in a large auditorium. Well, the 40 or so teachers that are from just my building have gotten used to me carrying my mono speedy just about everyday for the past 2 years and don't really comment on it anymore. But yesterday, when I was amidst my colleagues, who do not know me personally, I was carrying my LV and I felt like I was getting a lot of stares and they didn't feel friendly.:confused1: I know that teaching is not a glamorous profession but it is just myself and my husband, no kids yet, and we both make a nice salary. I felt "wrong" for having LV for a minute and then I thought to myself "You have nothing to feel bad about, you work hard and deserve to have nice things, hold your head up high." So I will continue carrying LV to school and I look forward to using my upcoming purchases there. I love LV and I honestly can't see myself carrying anything but.:heart: Has anyone had a similar experience where they felt awkward about carrying a nice bag? Do you feel innapropriate carrying LV bags to certain places?

I've gotten some funny stares, because here in St. louis you don't see authentic, bags too often, especially LV's. While at the movie theater, I was carrying my firebird, and a girl walked up to me to ask what flea market I got my bag from, because she had never seen it before. When I kindly told her it was bought from LV, her response was "You don't have to lie, if you didn't want to tell me, that was all you had to say" Her, and her friends walked away laughing. It made me uncomfortable, but I took it with a grain of salt. Its your money, you can do what you want with it. You work hard for your money, and can buy what you please with it. You keep carrying your bag!!

there isnt anything wrong to carry LV or other branded bags. if you can afford, why not? i know sometimes you may afraid people may think you're trying to show off. :confused1:

Thanks ladies! You're both right. I can't believe someone would honestly think the Firebird could ever be bought at a flea market?!?! That's amazing. I should have added in my original post that LV is not commonly found in my area. There is a Coach outlet nearby and alot of people are in love with that brand here. I travel over 2 hours to get my precious LVs!

There is absolutely no reason why we need to walk on eggshells for these people!! They're just jealous...heehee...no but seriously, it's your hard earned money and you can do what you want with it!

there is nothing wrong with using the LV bag.. i guess some people are jealous because they cant afford it. you should be proud when you wear it because it is a wonderful bag. i know how you feel though..

Thats all it is, people are jealous and will try to make you feel bad. Yes, there are times where I have felt bad and akward. I should not feel bad because some people don't have the money to buy or even if they do and just think it's a waste thats their own opinion. I am not gonna let others make me feel bad for something that makes me feel happy to own :smile:

Keep your head up and feel blessed to have such nice things :smile:

Carrie

Keep wearing them. I know what you mean. I sometimes don't wear expensive things to certain places or around certain people, not because I'm ashamed of my stuff, but because I'd rather not have to rationalize my decisions and purchases. It usually bothers me when people get into my personal business.

I had a Gucci tote in class yesterday and a good friend of mine asked me how much it was and I said I bought it on sale for $250. He said he would not have paid more than $50 for it but he really liked it. I look down and he's wearing new Prada sneakers. I'm not into Prada but I know they cost $400 minimum. Why even bother defending my purchase?

You do work hard and deserve nice things!!! Teaching is one of those professions that people don't realize how HARD it actually is and how much work goes into it..all the hours you spend outside of the classroom planning and etc. be PROUD of your louis and don't let anyone (other teachers included!) make you feel otherwise!

I get the same feeling when I walked my 6 yrs old to class. We would walked down the long hallway and past several teachers standing outside their room. The stares were either envy or jealousy, can't really tell. Maybe because I would show up everyday with different LVs. This also happens when I would drop in to eat lunch with my son at the cafeteria. Whenever I signed in at the office, the stares would come in from the secretaries and principal. Then this leads to the cafeteria when all the other teachers and cafeteria ladies would stare at my bag. Funny thing is no one would come up to me and say anything about my bag.

But It makes me feel good carrying a stylish LV handbag plus it's a gift from my husband who puts away most his salary to buying me a handbag or Tiff & Co diamonds. :drool:

Like I say, It makes me feel good on the inside and outside.;)

BTW, It is so terrible to see some of the teachers carrying knock-offs LV to school especially when I am passing them in the hallway, like I don't know the difference.:nogood:

Hi Ladies and Gents,
I am a school teacher and yesterday was our first day for faculty and all 500 of us have a beginning of the year meeting in a large auditorium. Well, the 40 or so teachers that are from just my building have gotten used to me carrying my mono speedy just about everyday for the past 2 years and don't really comment on it anymore. But yesterday, when I was amidst my colleagues, who do not know me personally, I was carrying my LV and I felt like I was getting a lot of stares and they didn't feel friendly.:confused1: I know that teaching is not a glamorous profession but it is just myself and my husband, no kids yet, and we both make a nice salary. I felt "wrong" for having LV for a minute and then I thought to myself "You have nothing to feel bad about, you work hard and deserve to have nice things, hold your head up high." So I will continue carrying LV to school and I look forward to using my upcoming purchases there. I love LV and I honestly can't see myself carrying anything but.:heart: Has anyone had a similar experience where they felt awkward about carrying a nice bag? Do you feel innapropriate carrying LV bags to certain places?

xolvxo-your story bothers me.
i'm glad you are going to continue to carry your LV regardless :tup:
i completely emphathize with your story. i also teach part time (dance), 2nd part of day, and the only ones that make me feel awkward that i own LV's are my aunts because teaching is not a profession in which i bring a fortune of an income for myself. but whatever. they don't support me, my lifestyle or buy me things-i pay for everything on my own so they basically can't talk sh!t. this is how i feel towards anyone who frowns upon anyone carrying whatever designer bag. nobody but yourself knows your life, your lifestyle, what you can afford. i get it-your colleagues are also teachers and may make around the same salary so why is it that you can afford such luxury when they may be struggling? well, you are in a different circumstance, we all are. you & your hubby support yourselves with no children yet...well what if your husband was a neurosurgeon and you're teaching out of your own free LOVE of teaching but you could be a full time homemaker with LV's! what if you inherited millions from your grandparents or parents??? they don't know that! for all they know you could be an heiress in disguise.
this is why people shouldn't judge. i hate those kinds of "looks". like they disapprove but who are they to make you feel awkward for enjoying your life and buying the things you love? it's none of their business and you should start practicing with me on how to behave like a diva with attitude because i too am sick of all the stares & tisk, tisk remarks. in my situation, my aunts act like unless you're a nurse, doctor, actor or bill gates' wife, you canNOT carry designer bags because it's out of your league. as for my work, my coworkers all enjoy designer bags & all of them are in different situation(s) as well. i mean, even our receptionist has a CHANEL, she's super young-but we don't make her feel weird. since we are close to her we know her 'back story' which basically is that she still lives with her parents who are both successfull in their careers...

i understand though. in public sometimes (especially at starbucks?) when i'm in there with my LV bag and then i pay with my matching LV wallet, i get the "stares"...but either they are admiring it or are bashing it in their heads (they're more likely green with envy)...
we LOVE our LV's and just wish people could get over it and mind their own. sometimes i wish i had big blinders so i wouldn't have to notice such things...i need to work on that! i don't want to care-but it's hard when the glares are SO hard! :nogood:

"You have nothing to feel bad about, you work hard and deserve to have nice things, hold your head up high."
^ Keep believing in that! (:

Yup, just keep that in mind. (To me, LV is one of the thing to keeps me work harder & harder :P)

My "ex-boss" always made fun of my LVs. But we can't control what other people think/say and like you said you deserve to have nice thing, cuz you work hard, so don't feel bad. ;)

Sometimes I feel the way you just described that you do. I intentionally carry non LV bags when I think I may feel uncomfortable. The other day meeting a friend I carried a non LV bag so, she would not judge me. It is sad but, true sometimes I am uncomfy carrying the bags I love the most....