Should I feel guilty about this bag?

If everything else is taken care of and you do not see an immediate need to use it for something else and it will not drain your account, then yes, buy it. Hopefully, nothing emergent will emerge.

haha, i like how xlcybluex put it... for the most part people are enablers here (good and bad thing, i'm in no way, meaning it as a trashing thing). But i would say, if you have to worry about paying the bills, and if you have a bf who is also trying to save, i would say hold off on it? Wait a long time, and sometimes really wanting a certain bag trails off. Plus you don't want to go into debt, and if you have to pay for other things, and worry about rent etc... a bag isn't worth all that other stress.

there is also a section for saving in there somewhere... people who budget. they will probably give a better view about it than here, in the general handbag discussion. but for the most part we're enablers here

Hey, it's awesome to see another student on tPF - and one who pays her own bills!

Honestly, my friends think I'm crazy for spending money that I earn from a part-time job (parents pay for the necessities - rent, groceries), on designer goods/shopping. Yet, they seem fine with it when they realize that I'm paying for my goodies myself, and not starving.

So I'd say go for it. You're asking good questions of yourself. Before a purchase of this magnitude, I'd think it over long and hard. Like make sure you're in love with this bag and not in lust with it. I like to look at a few other bags (near that price range/style) before finally purchasing.

As long as you're not going to starve, and you have a few month's pay saved away to help you if an emergency came along, then go ahead!

Can you afford it? In other words, do you have a decent emergency fund set aside etc. in addition to the money for the bag? If so, go for it and enjoy it. As long as you are generally good with your money, there is nothing wrong with an occasional treat. If it is a very expensive treat, it just means you get treats less often. I've learned that it's better to have a few things that you adore than tons that you are meh about. If you are nervous, wait a few weeks (or even a few months) to ensure that you really love it and are not just temporarily infatuated. I wind up not even wanting a lot of things when I hold off on purchasing them for a few weeks -- it's a good way to weed out stuff you would regret later.

You have really asked this question to the wrong set of people. We are all enablers here and will not say no to you unless you are going into debt or something of equal measure. You should really figure out this answer yourself. I have learned from firsthand experience that just because a group of people say yes to something, doesn't mean its the right choice for you personally. Sometimes listening to all of these voices say yes makes you think you want something more than you actually do.

Amen.

...And I'm another student on here that pays her own bills... and I have another vice... MUSIC! :jammin:

Right now it's a toss-up between a new amp and that Longchamp bag I've wanted... :sweatdrop:

hiya!

The $$ you're thinking of using for the bag, if you don't use it on the bag, what will you be spending it on? or you need to build up ur savings?

In the current economic climate, and in view that you're a student who need to pay ur way thru' your studies and bills, unless you have a 6 digit savings already, or come from a well-to-do family who can support your spendings comfortably, I will strongly urge you NOT to buy the $998 Gucci. :nogood::nogood::nogood:

You're only 23 years old and after you graduate in a couple of years, seriously, you'll still have PLENTY OF TIME to build your collection :graucho:

I'm not saying that its wrong to spoil yourself now and then...
haha... i hav my own induglences as well.... :P

But if you have to feel guilty about it....... you'll really need to ask yourself what are you 'sacrificing' by buying a $998 gucci, and can you afford to make such a 'sacrifice' in the long term.. e.g. will this amount be put to better use in building your insurance plans, or long-term savings plan for a good nest-egg to get your own apartment after graduating, payment on an extra-curicular course to build your career, etc.. etc...

I think if you're going to spend all of the savings you have on this bag-then no, you shouldn't buy it. You should have money saved up for emergencies (say your car breaks down) or you lose your job. However, if you believe you have enough money saved up for such emergencies, then I think it's fine to go ahead and splurge.

My boyfriend is quite frugal himself, I remember him and his friend were discussing WHY girls buy expensive purses-they just don't get it. I usually never tell him how much things actually cost or he would flip out.