Should I Do It?

ishootfilm

Jun 9, 2013
IMG_7991.jpg View attachment 3648097
I'm usually a very practical person in terms of my bag purchases. I tend not to buy bags that are super trendy, but for some reason, I can't get this silver mini Marmont out of my mind. I think it would be a great summer bag, and while it looks somewhat dressy, I can totally see myself using this with tons of casual outfits (distressed denim and a white shirt, white jeans and a grey top, white pants and a blush shirt). I know it's probably not something I'll have in my collection long term but I kind of feel like doing something crazy for once. The only thing holding me back is the almost $2,000 price tag (with tax). I have the funds, but will I regret this in a few months? Have any of you splurged on a trendy bag? I'd love to hear your experiences!

View attachment 3648099 View attachment 3648097
I'm usually a very practical person in terms of my bag purchases. I tend not to buy bags that are super trendy, but for some reason, I can't get this silver mini Marmont out of my mind. I think it would be a great summer bag, and while it looks somewhat dressy, I can totally see myself using this with tons of casual outfits (distressed denim and a white shirt, white jeans and a grey top, white pants and a blush shirt). I know it's probably not something I'll have in my collection long term but I kind of feel like doing something crazy for once. The only thing holding me back is the almost $2,000 price tag (with tax). I have the funds, but will I regret this in a few months? Have any of you splurged on a trendy bag? I'd love to hear your experiences!
I love this bag, I've been eyeing the noir bag version but I have seen the gold and silver you have pictured.....it is a lot of money to spend on something you think you may regret because you probably won't get your money back on resale. But if you think you'll use it and enjoy it, maybe it's worth buying...I notice trends always come back in style so if it falls out of trend most likely it will come back into trend again. These days, I think most people are wearing what they like and not what's in....I would wear this with jeans or a casual outfit as well...I love a bag with some hardware so I am loving the stud and pearl detailing....I have been eyeing a marmont maletasse bag for awhile, it's been between the style you have pictured in black or with the heart on the back...without seeing them in person it's hard to decide....just my opinion but I would love to have this bag and love the silver/gold combo..

Reactions: Havanese 28
I love this bag and I love your styling ideas! You've obviously given the purchase a lot of thought before committing.
If you buy it you may find that you want to keep it in your handbag collection for the long term. It is after all a classic chain flap bag, and even with the adornments and mixed metals it's in a neutral colourway that could be used as an evening bag for many years after you've tired of the planned summer daytime outfits.
I'm a big fan of the Marmont flaps and I think this studded silver one is gorgeous. It is pricey and I don't know if you'll regret it, but personally I'd go for it :smile:

I love this bag, I've been eyeing the noir bag version but I have seen the gold and silver you have pictured.....it is a lot of money to spend on something you think you may regret because you probably won't get your money back on resale. But if you think you'll use it and enjoy it, maybe it's worth buying...I notice trends always come back in style so if it falls out of trend most likely it will come back into trend again. These days, I think most people are wearing what they like and not what's in....I would wear this with jeans or a casual outfit as well...I love a bag with some hardware so I am loving the stud and pearl detailing....I have been eyeing a marmont maletasse bag for awhile, it's been between the style you have pictured in black or with the heart on the back...without seeing them in person it's hard to decide....just my opinion but I would love to have this bag and love the silver/gold combo..

Thanks for your reply! I actually would love this bag in black but I don't see it on the Gucci website on the mini size (just the larger size). That's what made me think it could be fun to go outside my comfort zone and get something completely different. I've only seen the black in person (it's to die for) so I think I definitely need to take your advice and go check it out in person! And you are right - fashion is much more open these days. It does seem like almost anything goes, so I won't let that discourage me! :smile:

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
I love this bag and I love your styling ideas! You've obviously given the purchase a lot of thought before committing.
If you buy it you may find that you want to keep it in your handbag collection for the long term. It is after all a classic chain flap bag, and even with the adornments and mixed metals it's in a neutral colourway that could be used as an evening bag for many years after you've tired of the planned summer daytime outfits.
I'm a big fan of the Marmont flaps and I think this studded silver one is gorgeous. It is pricey and I don't know if you'll regret it, but personally I'd go for it :smile:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply! I think I am getting too influenced by the opinions I read online about the longevity of these bags. And you're absolutely right, this is basically a classic style bag for the most part, and if I get a few years of enjoyment out of it, I think I'll feel I got my money's worth! Thank you again!

It's a fun way of dressing up a day outfit and cool for less formal evenings so I can see you getting a lot of wear out of this piece. The resale on Gucci has gone up recently but there are so many preloved bags out there, there are no guarantee. look on the bright side, a similar bag at Chanel would cost more to begin ;)

Reactions: skyqueen
It's a fun way of dressing up a day outfit and cool for less formal evenings so I can see you getting a lot of wear out of this piece. The resale on Gucci has gone up recently but there are so many preloved bags out there, there are no guarantee. look on the bright side, a similar bag at Chanel would cost more to begin ;)

Yes, that's very true!!! :smile:

It is a great summer bag. The resale values of these newer Alessandro Michele pieces is higher than older Gucci pieces anyway (at least for now), so if you change your mind, you will lose some money during resale, but not as much as on older pieces.

This bag is so gorgeous, and I think with its lighter color would be especially beautiful paired with Spring/Summer outfits. I am obsessed with the Gucci Marmont collection. While it's super trendy right now, I think these are some of the most gorgeously designed pieces Gucci has put out, and beauty never goes out of style :smile:

As you have stated about your previous purchases I think that is more reason to get this bag to be spontaneous! Its beautiful and theres not many bags with details like that!