Should I color the gray myself or let my hair dresser do it?

Jun 16, 2006
I have 2 patches of gray hair on either side of my hair above my temples...there's quite a bit, but stays fairly hidden under my brown hair. I go to an Aveda salon and they color it and it lasts maybe 6 weeks. It's hard for me to get there (I'm at home all day w/my son)and I end up going through long stretches with gray. Would the color last longer at a non-aveda salon? Or is that how long color usually lasts? Also, would it ruin my hair if I did it myself? What at-home products are good? Is there a way to just touch it up? I can't stand it! I'm not even that old yet!

Laurie8504

chocolate...where?
O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
US
I think it would last longer with a permanent haircolor, but gray hair may just not hold pigment as well. Isn't Aveda a "natural" type of line? If they don't use as many chemicals as others, then I think that may also be why it doesn't stay in as long (or maybe your hairdresser just wants you to keep coming back! ;) )

Since it's not that visible, I would be very tempted to just buy one of those "root touch-up" haircolor boxes and do it myself. If you mess up, no one can see anyway, right?

I like revlon haircolor personally, but you should look for one that states it "covers gray" on the box. How old are you, if you don't mind? Is it weird that I'm looking forward to my hair turning gray?

Jun 16, 2006
Hi,
I'm 34 :smile: You will not like getting gray hair, trust me! It's a pain. I got them almost right after having my son 4 years ago. I just made an appt. with my regular stylist and will make sure she REALLY covers it up! Luckily it's under my other hair and I'm able can hide it. I was really tempted to go out and get a boxof dye but my husband was like...NO! He's actually taking the morning off from work so I can get my hair done....lol, it must look worse than I thought!

BorsaBella

Nov 9, 2005
Texas
I was going to ask the same question. I'm 35 and have some stray grays. I just didn't know if its easy and effective to do at home or not. I've never colored my hair, but want it to remain the same color and look natural, just no grays.

Laurie8504

chocolate...where?
O.G.
Sep 10, 2007
US
I really do think at home haircoloring can cover the grey, I would just check out reviews for different brands online. It can't hurt to try it once! If it looks awful then you can have your hairdresser fix it, but at least you'll know :shrugs: