Should I call?

boracaysun

Oct 13, 2008
New Jersey
I got an inquiry on my item. This is the first time that there isn't actually a question. All it said was - call me xxx-xxx-xxxx
I replied and ask if they have a question about the item (i wanted to make sure it was not phishing of some sort).
I got a reply back - so are you going to call or no?

Should I be wary? This is the first time I got inquiry like this. The member has more than 1000 feedbacks. But on the first page alone, most of it is from the same seller. I gave me the feeling that this member just bought the name that has existing feedbacks.
Item I am selling is a high-ticket designer handbag.

kells1983

FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO.
O.G.
Dec 1, 2008
That sounds very strange. Personally, I would not call unless I knew what their question was in regards to.

You should just write back and state that if they have a question, you will be happy to respond via e-mail.

Weird.... you don't want a weirdo (who likely has caller ID) to get your phone number, do you?

boracaysun

Oct 13, 2008
New Jersey
I never thought of the caller ID!!! I thought at first, I won't lose anything. But then again, even I myself won't call a seller if I'm the buyer. I think it would be too weird. If the seller entertains calls, then they would include their phone number right?
Weird, right? i thought it was just me. I want to provide utmost customer service but I guess I have to draw the line.

kells1983

FEAR DOES NOT EXIST IN THIS DOJO.
O.G.
Dec 1, 2008
I never thought of the caller ID!!! I thought at first, I won't lose anything. But then again, even I myself won't call a seller if I'm the buyer. I think it would be too weird. If the seller entertains calls, then they would include their phone number right?
Weird, right? i thought it was just me. I want to provide utmost customer service but I guess I have to draw the line.
Have you tried a reverse phone # lookup on the # they gave you? Could be someone selling something, which could explain the vague & weird messages! Seriously, what's with the "are you going to call or no?" message? That's just rude, to me anyway.

I guess if you use your cell number to call them, they can't find where you live or anything, but you never know... I wouldn't chance it.

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
If you do call make sure you block your number. However I wouldn't call. I would want them to atleast submit and initial question.

flowerbobon

rocketship
O.G.
Mar 7, 2009
i will not call them..i prefer to be contacted by email on ebay so that everything is recorded.

Apr 4, 2007
As a seller, I have given a buyer my phone number. But, only after we have conversed several times.

I would understand if she asked you a question and then politely asked if you wouldn't mind giving her a call.

Just to weird for me. Oh and cell phone numbers can be traced!

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
I wouldn't call. Because if they harass you or cause problems, ebay doesn't cover any communications about ebay/items if it's not through ebay's communication system.

I always check the box to hide my email and always use ebay's messaging system. I would politely thank her for giving you her number, but would feel more comfortable using ebay's communication system for both of your protection in case something goes wrong.

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
Just FYI
There are a lot of phone scames going on right now. I have heard of them when you call you get charged. I have talk to ebayers via phone. I have even had them call me. However we have converesed several times prior. What I find really concerning is that you said all of the feedback is from the same person? Like the bought their feedback? That is what is making me ultimately nervous. I for sure wouldn't call on this one.

You should look up their phone number via advanced search. See if it even matches the one they are giving you-or is even similar. Then do a reverse look up.