Should I buy this Chanel Classic Maxi Flap handbag? Please help!

chanelhunter

Dec 24, 2011
Can someone please help me with the price of this Classic Maxi Flap. It was made in 2009 and beige caviar, with silver hardware, size measured 13x9x3.5.

It is new with tag, I saw the bag myself, there is absolutely no sign of usage. I am trying the buy it, the current owner asks for $3900, but the price tag shows $2895 and including tax, she paid $3200 in 2009. I understand the price has increased a few times, and if I buy a 2012 version, I will need to pay much more, but still not feel fair to pay more than what she paid. And it seems the retail price is going to increase again soon.

Is this price about right for this bag? She is leaving to Europe in 3 days. I really love the bag. So please help! :confused1:

Price is very subjective. Some people are willing to pay more for something that is very hard to find but some people would rather go for brand new 2012 version and pay more.

If you want to see what is a fair price, perhaps try to do a completed listing search on *bay to get an idea of average selling price and use that as a benchmark.

OP---I totally get your point! And I think I would have a similar debate in my head...but its not like if you went to buy a brand new one you would get it for $3900...you are saving $1000 plus tax! Besides the bags are supposed to increase soon and inventory is running low because people are snagging them before price goes up up and away!

I actually recently got a Maxi flap in lamb and GHW on Bonanza (courtesy of tpfer that posted "the find"!). It was BNWT, and she even gave me the receipt -- she got it in 2010, so I know the price was way cheaper than now. I ended up paying $4100 for it (if I calculate the other way around it would be ~$3700 before taxes). I thought it was a pretty good deal since I saved about $1k.

Ah! Would definitely love a beige flap next. Good luck with your decision!

You might consider looking it at this way. What would you pay at the Chanel boutique for it today. Certainly more than the $3900.00. If you love it, it is a fair price, even though the owner paid less. It makes it so hard to buy when Chanel keeps raising the prices.

I understand your point. It would be hard to shell out the extra $$$ knowing it was $700 cheaper when she bought it, but look at it this way:

1) It's still $800 + taxes less than retail now, and the price is about to raise again any time now.

2) If it is the older style Maxi, it is now kind of rare as they were only arount for 1 or 2 seasons. If you really love it and and it is brand new I would probably pay the extra $$$.

If you REALLY like it, buy it! I passed on a 10C red maxi in caviar that I missed from the boutique (stupid ban) because the seller wanted $3500.....I STILL regret sticking to my ban and not buying that bag when I had the chance!!!

So glad you made the right choice!!!!!! Can't wait for the reveal!