Should I buy the Medium Flap??

Yuki85

O.G.
Jun 3, 2013
Hi everyone,
I am new to Chanel. Usually I am more for LV but for me Chanel is just not affordable as a bag!!!

BUT last Saturday I went to the boutique and just to go around. And then there was this lovely SA asking if she could help. I asked if they have the medium flap on stock. She said no, but I could order if I want and there will be a price increase for next days.
Actually, a classic Chanel bag is a holy grail for me as well as the Birkin. I would never think that I would say YES to order one. BUT I do not know why I said YES. Anyway the SA said that if I don't like I don't need to buy. And she did let me try the size with a reserved bag as I have never had the chance to see the bag in real. The size is perfect for me as I would use it for partys or date nights.

Today I got already the call that my bag has been delivered. A Medium Flap in Black Caviar with GH. The price is EUR4480. My first thought was " WHAT THE F***" What did I do and what should I do now. Since I am still in the office, I told her that I will pass by after work. This will be my first Chanel, I do not have any SLGs, just nothing from Chanel. SLGs are also to pricy for me.

I hope you could give me some comments/hints/thoughts. Did you have the same feel when you bought your first Chanel. A bag for 4300 EUR!!! I am not rich (just a team assistant) but I just love designer bags, specially LV, Chanel and Hermes (also Holy Grail). My hubby said if this is the holy grail I should get it, he would even support me financially!!!! We do not have a money tree :smile:

STILL for 4300 EUR!!!!!!! Now I cannot even concentrate on my work.
Thank you for letting me share my problem :smile:

Its pretty normal to feel this way when spending a bigger sum of money than usual, especially the first time. If its your HG bag that you eventually plan to purchase, perhaps its worth it. Is that price before or after the increase?

Also, you can also consider excellent condition preowned chanel flap bag since it cost less. All the best, and may I say how sweet is your husband to support on your interest.

LOL, I felt the same when I bought my first Chanel. It was a M/L as well. Now when I look back, I feel it was a best decision I made with the price increase etc. IMO, if you can you should keep it. M/L is a classic piece which won't go out of style and you can use it a lot. Good luck with your decision.

Reactions: BUIGOVA and SCI
Its pretty normal to feel this way when spending a bigger sum of money than usual, especially the first time. If its your HG bag that you eventually plan to purchase, perhaps its worth it. Is that price before or after the increase?

Also, you can also consider excellent condition preowned chanel flap bag since it cost less. All the best, and may I say how sweet is your husband to support on your interest.

After the increase already. Around 200 EUR more.

Get it you will not regret this purchase. One of my classic Chanel bags was purchased 10 years ago, and it still looks perfect. I have been buying Chanel ever since.
LOL, I felt the same when I bought my first Chanel. It was a M/L as well. Now when I look back, I feel it was a best decision I made with the price increase etc. IMO, if you can you should keep it. M/L is a classic piece which won't go out of style and you can use it a lot. Good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your nice comments. I just cannot believe to spend soooo much money on a bag. But it is THE CHANEL FLAP!!! What a Holy Grail!!!

Reactions: LGW and Angie Ong
M/l (black caviar silver hardware) is my ultimate favourite bag in my collection. It is such a classic chanel bag. However if the price is not right for you, you may want to consider the preowned route. You can find some pretty good deals if you are persistent! I have seen many great condition m/l on preowned market reputable sellers.
This is unless you want the boutique experience for your HG.
I can't believe the price either oh my... I bought mine 7 yrs ago from Paris and it def was not anywhere near that price (although I can't remember how much...)

Actually. This.. is still in fact a well sought after bag. And this... can be handed down to your next generation as it is a evergreen classic.. but. Not for €4000++ euros. Like all of them suggested... you can easily grab 1 off the preloved market. But since you are new to Chanel, but get it from reliable resellers or have it authenticated if you intend to buy off Ebay etc ... Bags these days are not exactly an investment. So, think carefully and be wise =) That being said, i still do think itz a great piece to own... brand new or preloved. . You decided =)

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
M/l (black caviar silver hardware) is my ultimate favourite bag in my collection. It is such a classic chanel bag. However if the price is not right for you, you may want to consider the preowned route. You can find some pretty good deals if you are persistent! I have seen many great condition m/l on preowned market reputable sellers.
This is unless you want the boutique experience for your HG.
I can't believe the price either oh my... I bought mine 7 yrs ago from Paris and it def was not anywhere near that price (although I can't remember how much...)

I was also thinking about getting this bag but never put the trigger because of the price. If I get it I will get it from the store!!!

Actually. This.. is still in fact a well sought after bag. And this... can be handed down to your next generation as it is a evergreen classic.. but. Not for €4000++ euros. Like all of them suggested... you can easily grab 1 off the preloved market. But since you are new to Chanel, but get it from reliable resellers or have it authenticated if you intend to buy off Ebay etc ... Bags these days are not exactly an investment. So, think carefully and be wise =) That being said, i still do think itz a great piece to own... brand new or preloved. . You decided =)

Just from the store!! do you think that Chanel bags are not an investment anymore? Could you please tell me why? Many thanks.

Ahhh I feel your pain! These prices r ridiculous. If you want the bag, the size is right and u love it and it won't break the bank I say get it. I waited a couple of years before getting one and the price just went up and up. Total pain in the backside. Bought some in 2015 and as of now price is at least £1000 more. If u don't do preloved (I personally don't) then consider strongly getting before the price increases yet again in Europe.

I can tell you that when I purchased my Classic Jumbo I was in a fog, could not believe I was spending $5500.00usd on a bag. Turns out to be a good decision. The bag is my HG and since then I have had little interest in buying another bag. Previously when I purchased a bag I was satisfied for a short time and then on the hunt for the next one.

I can tell you that when I purchased my Classic Jumbo I was in a fog, could not believe I was spending $5500.00usd on a bag. Turns out to be a good decision. The bag is my HG and since then I have had little interest in buying another bag. Previously when I purchased a bag I was satisfied for a short time and then on the hunt for the next one.

OH YES, that is me. Purchasing LVs is for me just a short satisfaction. I was also hoping to stop this kind of satisfaction maybe it is time now.

Reactions: calflu and luvlux64
I had a very embarrassing moment in our store! I went there and the SA brought the medium flap but the funny thing was: she told me that the Jumbo would fit me better because I am tall (180) and I could even take the Jumbo to party, date nights! Just to everywhere! I was really really surprise and my hubby told me the same!!! Then i want to take even the Jumbo! The embarrassing moment came: my Visa card did not work! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24] My hubby said on the phone: It is a sign that this bag does not belong to you!!! Sooo embarrassing!! Now I have time until tomorrow to re-think whether Jumbo or Medium and to check my Visa card!

I am in a similar position. I really want this bag but have had a hard time spending so much on a bag. But then I think - I have spent way more than that on other combined designer bag purchases in the past couple of years, but I still want the Chanel. I don't regret any of my other bag purchases, but I know I will still always want the classic Chanel flap so I will be buying that next, and it'll be just be my only bag purchase for the year....oh and then the Boy too! Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: SCI and Yuki85
I see you are located in Vienna.
Once I went there and SA wrote my name for reservation for the same bag and NEVER called...
I am so disappointed with Vienna.
However, I think that if you can afford it without debt and if you Like it, and I think that you do :smile: you should go for it!
My first flap was 1000€ cheaper.
I think that medium is less heavy, so maybe consider that also :smile:

OH YES, that is me. Purchasing LVs is for me just a short satisfaction. I was also hoping to stop this kind of satisfaction maybe it is time now.
Totally agree. When i started lusting Chanel 2 years ago, I thought the price was obscene and i could buy more bags/clothes at the price of one M\L (and i bought celine, LV, Ysl and made a big mistake as they don't hold value and are hard to sell - apart from LV). Eventually made a bold move and the rest is history (7 chanels :nuts:). But Jaxholt15 - since buying jumbo/boy/woc i have a piece of mind and no bag (maybe only Hermes) is good enough to lust so I'm not going to spend money for the next few years.