Should I buy my second Chanel within 1 month from buying the first?

Annabel's

Apr 10, 2017
I got my first Chanel jumbo flap in black caviar in March at the boutique after getting the Chanel bug earlier this year - probably I only pondered 1-2 months over it. I'm now crazy over this medium Chanel flap in brown lambskin with GHW - because it's exactly the leather, colour and hardware I wanted for my medium, and as Chanel no longer makes this colour anymore. Buying from this site in France, I can return within 14 days if I don't like it.

However, I feel so so bad because I just spent $6k on my first brand new bag a month ago. I can afford this second one, I want it, and also afraid someone else may buy it, but I feel so bad about forking out another $3k on another Chanel bag within a month of buying the first. You can get a brand new car with $9k! (however, the good thing is Chanel bag doesn't depreciate like cars :b)... Been pondering /crazy over this bag for over a week, I'd love to be able to ponder on it more but I'm afraid it'll get sold and I'll regret forever. On the other hand, I'm also afraid I'm getting addicted and spending too much on bags too early on.

What should I do? You guys are a lot wiser. please share if you may have experienced this before when you first have the Chanel bug... Advice appreciated!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.05.01.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.05.01.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 1,267
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.16.25.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.16.25.png
    758.6 KB · Views: 1,284
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.17.05.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.17.05.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.16.45.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 00.16.45.png
    600.6 KB · Views: 1,320
Last edited:
Yes! I was the same way! I went from 0 to 6 Chanel bags in the first year. There are a lot of factors involved. It's so hard to get the exact combo that you want so you always want to jump on the opportunity when you see one you like. Also with the way Chanel are always increasing their prices, you feel like you want to complete your collection before another price increase. So you are totally not alone!

My advice to you is to make sure you can afford it without taking on debt first of all. As for this bag, it is gorgeous and I think it will complement nicely with your jumbo as a nice evening bag. If you can afford it, go for it!

Yes! I was the same way! I went from 0 to 6 Chanel bags in the first year. There are a lot of factors involved. It's so hard to get the exact combo that you want so you always want to jump on the opportunity when you see one you like. Also with the way Chanel are always increasing their prices, you feel like you want to complete your collection before another price increase. So you are totally not alone!

My advice to you is to make sure you can afford it without taking on debt first of all. As for this bag, it is gorgeous and I think it will complement nicely with your jumbo as a nice evening bag. If you can afford it, go for it!

Thank you! It feels relieving to know I'm not alone. I can afford it as I have a nice sum saved over the years (intended for a house deposit though but I can make back 3k I believe). I agree with you totally, I am intending for this medium flap bag to be my evening bag.

To be frank, this Chanel rush is all too new to me and I'm quite overwhelmed!

Last edited:
It's addictive and I think quite a few of us have bought lots in a short space of time. I bought 3 in the space of 6 months in 2015. For some it's more bags in less time. If it won't break the bank and you have been hankering over this specific combo I say go for it. If you however won't enjoy it cos u feel guilty about the purchase maybe hold off. I said no more Chanel a couple of years ago but was tempted back by so black boy, there will be something else you can love down the line if u decide this one isn't for you.

Reactions: Annabel's
I would buy it because this color combo doesn't come by very easily. If you don't get it now, who knows when you'll see her again in the same combo, condition, price, etc. if it were "any" other chanel I would say wait, but since its a unique combo you love i would just jump on it and then lock your wallet away :P haha

I bought my first one about 2 years ago, and now I"m up to 12... it's hard to resist once you get started!! But, I feel like if you can afford it and it makes you happy, then go for it, especially if it's a difficult combo to find. If you pass up on this bag now, there's a chance you won't be able to find it again (and maybe if you do, it'll increase in price by then). (This website is so good at enabling...)

We've all been there, but I'll give you a different perspective. The bag looks vintage, does it come with authenticity card and so on, is condition ok for you for the price? I usually try to think over these things before making a big purchase. GL deciding

I got my first Chanel jumbo flap in black caviar in March at the boutique after getting the Chanel bug earlier this year - probably I only pondered 1-2 months over it. I'm now crazy over this medium Chanel flap in brown lambskin with GHW - because it's exactly the leather, colour and hardware I wanted for my medium, and as Chanel no longer makes this colour anymore. Buying from this site in France, I can return within 14 days if I don't like it.

However, I feel so so bad because I just spent $6k on my first brand new bag a month ago. I can afford this second one, I want it, and also afraid someone else may buy it, but I feel so bad about forking out another $3k on another Chanel bag within a month of buying the first. You can get a brand new car with $9k! (however, the good thing is Chanel bag doesn't depreciate like cars :b)... Been pondering /crazy over this bag for over a week, I'd love to be able to ponder on it more but I'm afraid it'll get sold and I'll regret forever. On the other hand, I'm also afraid I'm getting addicted and spending too much on bags too early on.

What should I do? You guys are a lot wiser. please share if you may have experienced this before when you first have the Chanel bug... Advice appreciated!

As long as your bills are taken care of and you can afford it, go for it. This is something I've gone back and forth with myself (I bought my So Black Boy in March and then picked up a Mini Rectangular spontaneously last week). My motto is as long as my bills are paid and I can afford, I'll get it. Life is short so we should enjoy it while we can. Good luck on your decision [emoji4]

Thank you! It feels relieving to know I'm not alone. I can afford it as I have a nice sum saved over the years (intended for a house deposit though but I can make back 3k I believe). I agree with you totally, I am intending for this medium flap bag to be my evening bag.

To be frank, this Chanel rush is all too new to me and I'm quite overwhelmed!
Dear Annabel,
Of course it is your decision and your hard earned money, to do with as you wish..... but since you are asking for opinions, here is mine. Luxury goods like handbags are fun and like icing on the cake, imo. I would not advise you to dip into your home fund for a handbag. Please take a deep breath and think carefully. I understand how tempting these bags are, but it is important to trust your gut, and it sounds like you feel it is too expensive to buy another bag at this time. Home first, then savings, then luxury goods, as desired. This is all just my opinion and how I live. Please take care and good luck with your decision. :heart::heart:

We've all been there, but I'll give you a different perspective. The bag looks vintage, does it come with authenticity card and so on, is condition ok for you for the price? I usually try to think over these things before making a big purchase. GL deciding

Thank you - very helpful. The bag is from 2010 season, comes with authenticity card and is sold by a reputable reseller in France (Collector Square) who will provide authentication certificate, so I'm not worried on authenticity. The discount comes from the fact it doesn't come with original box/Dustbag and also for some of the color transfer at the back - I'll probably take it to a handbag spa for a full cleaning and make over !

Dear Annabel,
Of course it is your decision and your hard earned money, to do with as you wish..... but since you are asking for opinions, here is mine. Luxury goods like handbags are fun and like icing on the cake, imo. I would not advise you to dip into your home fund for a handbag. Please take a deep breath and think carefully. I understand how tempting these bags are, but it is important to trust your gut, and it sounds like you feel it is too expensive to buy another bag at this time. Home first, then savings, then luxury goods, as desired. This is all just my opinion and how I live. Please take care and good luck with your decision. :heart::heart:

This is something I have been pondering over. I don't spend on much in life, usually put aside a lot of my monthly income for my first home so have had a very good sum saved. I think what prompted the splurge for me recently is that I also does investments with those savings and was able to earn a large sum last week from some good yielding investments, so prompted me to wanting to reward myself. It is not too expensive for me at this point, just that I'm afraid I might be addicted so I feel a bit bad [emoji12] In addition no one around me is a bag fanatic like us - and to them, spending $9k on bag is nuts, so I have been feeling quite isolated by others' opinions in my life, which almost made me feel like I am insane by wanting this. Therefore although I can afford it, I thought to ask for psychological advice here as you guys have a much better understanding on this matter than people who believe "it's just a bag!"

Thank you for everyone's input so far, I will take one more week to take a deep breath and to decide. In the mean time, I have contacted a handbag spa to check on a quote on a full color transfer removal for the back pocket and will see if it's doable to be restored, then decide.

If I do get the bag, I'll definitely do a reveal!

Reactions: Dextersmom
I think many of us have been there, we get the handbag bug and we can't stop. My first bag was the GST, less than a month later I was back in the store buying the classic flap. In the same month as that I purchased the lady Dior bag and the Dior wallet on chain. I think my theory was I wanted to get the ones I wanted before they got even more expensive. Which did work out, because I started my collection in 2013, when the medium classic was £2,690 and today's it's £4K. Although I would still spend £4K on a bag it does require me to think about it more.
I got my reissue in October last year, 1 week later it had gone up £500. I was extremely happy I got the bag earlier than planned, I had planned to get it in November.
I don't regret purchasing any of my bags either, I think we're all aloud that phase of madness at some point in our lives.