Should I buy my first Chanel now?

Oh my gosh, 7 years!! You're right, I guess the itch would never go away even by me trying to substitute it with other bags that may be cheaper or similar in style... Like for example. Chanel does many seasonal bags that has a very similar looks to the CF (Easy Flap, Crave flap, etc.) and I was at some point tempted to go for these options as they're cheaper. But in my heart of heart, I know that I would never be satisfied until I get an actual CF! So that's what I'm gonna do.

For sure. I considered the Crave and the Easy too before I got my CFs, and I'm relieved I didn't buy them. They're beautiful bags, not slagging them or anyone who buys them, just if my mind is set on a CF, then anything that's NOT that will feel like it has an asterisk next to it, you know? I'll still lust after the 'real thing'.

Can't wait to see your unboxing! :smile:

Hi everyone!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reaffirm my decision to go for it haha. Happy to say that I've finally gotten my hand on the CF Jumbo in caviar leather with SHW At first I was worried the Jumbo might be too big/too heavy, but apparently it fits perfectly on my frame and I couldn't be more thrilled!

uri_mh1592666408482.jpg

How do you guys usually style your CF?
Do you dress it up or down, or both?
Do you find it appropriate or too flashy for work?

Definitely buy the Chanel Flap, if that's what you've always wanted. Experience has taught me if you settle for something less you'll always regret it, you'll end up still wanting one and have less money to put towards it. The pre loved market always keeps pace with the new ones, at least you know whatever you pay it will go up, even after you've used it. The longer you wait to buy it, the more it will go up.

Its a big spend but worth it, nothing makes me feel as special as carrying a Chanel and the Flap is such a gorgoues bag that never dates.

Definitely buy the Chanel Flap, if that's what you've always wanted. Experience has taught me if you settle for something less you'll always regret it, you'll end up still wanting one and have less money to put towards it. The pre loved market always keeps pace with the new ones, at least you know whatever you pay it will go up, even after you've used it. The longer you wait to buy it, the more it will go up.

Its a big spend but worth it, nothing makes me feel as special as carrying a Chanel and the Flap is such a gorgoues bag that never dates.

Thank you! I finally got the CF (posted just above your reply) and I'm so happy I did
You're right--the fact that it is timeless and will always go up in value convinces me that this is the right choice haha.

Hi everyone!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and reaffirm my decision to go for it haha. Happy to say that I've finally gotten my hand on the CF Jumbo in caviar leather with SHW At first I was worried the Jumbo might be too big/too heavy, but apparently it fits perfectly on my frame and I couldn't be more thrilled!

View attachment 4763688

Oh it's gorgeous well done, looks good as new and probably far better leather and construction than buying new.
You can style it up and down, looks great either way. I've never used any of my channels for work but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I guess just personal preference and where you work of course can make a difference.

Reactions: ozorezanitako

View attachment 4763688

Absolutely gorgeous. Love how puffy those quilts are! What # series is this one from? The condition is wonderful! Congrats. Excellent choice!

Re: too flashy for work, what field do you work in? Maybe if you're a social worker working in an at-risk location, it could be dicey, otherwise I don't find it too flashy!

Oh it's gorgeous well done, looks good as new and probably far better leather and construction than buying new.
You can style it up and down, looks great either way. I've never used any of my channels for work but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. I guess just personal preference and where you work of course can make a difference.

Have the newer bags really gone down in quality? If so, that is really sad :sad:
Yeah I love my purchase, it's made in France (which I personally prefer) and the previous owner kept it really well.
The only thing is, I'm wondering if you have any tips to keep the caviar leather shiny?
I've heard contrasting opinions; some say they use leather conditioning products while others say you should never apply anything to Chanel bags
As for work, I work in a rather casual media company.
It feels weird to be carrying this bag to work, considering I'm one of the younger employees around and I don't think I've ever seen any of my other coworkers carrying flashy luxury bags to work haha.

Absolutely gorgeous. Love how puffy those quilts are! What # series is this one from? The condition is wonderful! Congrats. Excellent choice!

Re: too flashy for work, what field do you work in? Maybe if you're a social worker working in an at-risk location, it could be dicey, otherwise I don't find it too flashy!

Aww thank you! It's the #16 series.
I think the previous owner kept it really well.
Do you have any tips to keep the caviar shiny?

I work in a media company haha.
It's a rather casual setting and I've never seen any of my coworkers carrying flashy luxury purse to work, so it'd feel weird for me to do that haha.
I think I might do it occasionally, like if I have a dinner or drinks to go to afterwards :smile:

Aww thank you! It's the #16 series.
I think the previous owner kept it really well.
Do you have any tips to keep the caviar shiny?

I work in a media company haha.
It's a rather casual setting and I've never seen any of my coworkers carrying flashy luxury purse to work, so it'd feel weird for me to do that haha.
I think I might do it occasionally, like if I have a dinner or drinks to go to afterwards :smile:

Nice! I've got a #16 series GST in black caviar too and its puffs and shininess has maintained. Everyone says don't treat it with any liquids, just let the natural oils on your hands keep/add to the gloss. (I should start using my more matte caviar bags as blotting paper then! :biggrin: )

I work in media too and it's surprising how casual it is, considering how flashy you'd expect it to be! No one else wears luxury purses to work (maybe one or two of my colleagues wear Vuitton). I rock my bags to work and I think you can too, although a jumbo flap may not be an ideal daily work bag. Anyone in the know will appreciate it, and anyone who doesn't, is none the wiser!

Nice! I've got a #16 series GST in black caviar too and its puffs and shininess has maintained. Everyone says don't treat it with any liquids, just let the natural oils on your hands keep/add to the gloss. (I should start using my more matte caviar bags as blotting paper then! :biggrin: )

I work in media too and it's surprising how casual it is, considering how flashy you'd expect it to be! No one else wears luxury purses to work (maybe one or two of my colleagues wear Vuitton). I rock my bags to work and I think you can too, although a jumbo flap may not be an ideal daily work bag. Anyone in the know will appreciate it, and anyone who doesn't, is none the wiser!

Okay, guess I'll play it safe and not treat it with any liquid!
And kudos to you for rocking your purses :smile:
I can't wait to bring mine out haha.

Have the newer bags really gone down in quality? If so, that is really sad :sad:
Yeah I love my purchase, it's made in France (which I personally prefer) and the previous owner kept it really well.
The only thing is, I'm wondering if you have any tips to keep the caviar leather shiny?
I've heard contrasting opinions; some say they use leather conditioning products while others say you should never apply anything to Chanel bags
As for work, I work in a rather casual media company.
It feels weird to be carrying this bag to work, considering I'm one of the younger employees around and I don't think I've ever seen any of my other coworkers carrying flashy luxury bags to work haha.

Yes the quality of the leather is quite different now. My DH bought me my first new Chanel piece for a special Anniversary 8 years ago, 20 series I think, the lambs leather is butter soft. I recently bought a new Mini Flap and it's got a totally different feel to it, it's also nowhere near as shiny. It doesn't bother me as it's an everyday bag and as the leather is now coated it will (I hope) be far more care free to look after but I won't be in a hurry to sell any of my older pieces.

Ive never treated caviar. My one remaining bag in caviar is irredesant so it is shinier anyway, my small Boy :smile:

Maybe it would be a good idea to ask the previous owner how she treated it as she's obviously done an amazing job. I'd carry on doing the same.

Carrying the bag to work for special occasions sounds a great idea. I think you need to do what makes you feel comfortable. I used to work in a casual setting and would take my Dior when I needed a larger bags for files etc or a Mulberry or leather LV (I feel the canvas is too casual) at other times.
However I always wished I'd bought a Chanel when I was much younger and just used it all the time. I think whenever you buy that first piece it always seems far too much money to spend on a bag :biggrin: so well done for taking the plunge.

View attachment 4763688

You made the perfect choice! She looks beautiful and in amazing condition. Congrats and enjoy!!

And I think it is appropriate for work if it works with your style. I wear all of my bags to work and haven’t thought twice about it.

I wonder if you have gotten your dream bag. I have experiences buying Chanel preloved from Japanese eBay stores. I’m very happy with my orders .

I have noticed the prices on Preloved Chanel Classic have gone up since the latest Chanel price increase last month. If you are interested at getting a vintage Chanel Classic Double Flap bag, type in ‘Chanel double flap bags’ many will pop out.

I have found boom2haten (Japanese eBay vintage store) having the best prices on vintage double flap bags.

I have ordered from them at least three times and very happy with the low prices high quality bags I got.

Their Classic double flaps ranging from $1600 and up. As yesterday, for $2100 or more, you can get a very nice vintage Classic bag.

I liked vintage Chanel bags, because the hardwares were coated with an alloy containing 24k gold. The coating is so well done. You can find many 30 year old bags without much wearing issues on the hardwares.

Hope this will help.

p.s. I use Saphir Leather cream on my vintage Chanel bags to bring out their long lasting shine.