Should I buy my first Chanel now?

ozorezanitako

Jun 10, 2020
Hi all... So as you know, Chanel has just recently had a crazy price increase. The price increase has actually affected the preloved market too (at least where I live, people have jacked up the prices of their Chanel bags and try to earn as much as possible out of this situation). I have been wanting to get my first Chanel bag for a while, and finally have the fund to go the preloved route. But I'm not sure if it's a wise decision to get my first Chanel bag now? I know the price will only ever go up, and it's a now-or-never kind of situation. If I got a Chanel bag now, I probably won't get another bag for at least the next couple years. Is the quality worth the current price though (bear in mind I'm going for jacked-up preloved prices)? Or am I better off purchasing, say a YSL bag, and save the rest of the money? Fyi if I got one I would go for the CF.

Reactions: Shoppingalways
I think if you’ve always wanted one buy sooner rather than later. There will likely be another increase in October. No the quality doesn’t justify the price in recent years but I only know that as I bought my first one about 12 years ago. But generally speaking if you carefully check and ensure you’re happy you should be ok. I would buy from the boutique for your first one. If you can only go preloved then try and look for brand new or kept unused. Good luck and enjoy the experience.

If you've always wanted a Chanel classic flap, get the classic flap. I've learned over the years that you shouldn't settle for something you don't really want because you'll just end up getting what you wanted in the first place, plus you end up paying more.

I don't believe the quality is really worth the price, but for a material item (not including my husband, cat, experiences, etc.), a Chanel bag is the one thing that makes me incredibly happy to the point of euphoria. I can't explain it, I just love it, and I think that feeling completely justifies the price. I don't just feel happy when I buy it either, it's every time I use it and every time I take it out to look at at home. If you've always wanted one, I say get one, and even in the end you aren't 100% happy with it, the price increases mean that you're likely to get your money back and maybe make a profit.

If you've always wanted a Chanel classic flap, get the classic flap. I've learned over the years that you shouldn't settle for something you don't really want because you'll just end up getting what you wanted in the first place, plus you end up paying more.

I don't believe the quality is really worth the price, but for a material item (not including my husband, cat, experiences, etc.), a Chanel bag is the one thing that makes me incredibly happy to the point of euphoria. I can't explain it, I just love it, and I think that feeling completely justifies the price. I don't just feel happy when I buy it either, it's every time I use it and every time I take it out to look at at home. If you've always wanted one, I say get one, and even in the end you aren't 100% happy with it, the price increases mean that you're likely to get your money back and maybe make a profit.

Thank you for sharing this! Feels like it's helped to put things into perspective. I equally love YSL as a brand and wouldn't feel like I'm "settling" for their bags, but I guess from economic perspective, I could always get YSL bags anytime down the road, while the time to own a CF is now. And like you said, if I turn out not getting as much enjoyment out of it as I had expected initially, I could always put it up for sale. Thanks again :smile:

Reactions: C.Ly and terinicola
As others have stated here, I think you’d better buy sooner than later as price will only be rocketing!!

Unfortunately the price of the preloved market has already skyrocketed where I live
Because people are aware of the price increase so they wanna cash out as much as possible, plus demand is high since everyone is looking for Chanel now.

Reactions: C.Ly and fdc
I personally feel this is not really about the price anymore. If you have your eyes and heart set on a CF, target and only go for this. I think there are still lots of good deals on the resale market but if you wouldn't want those or they dont seem to be priced reasonably, still go for a new one in stores!

Reactions: ozorezanitako
Thank you for sharing this! Feels like it's helped to put things into perspective. I equally love YSL as a brand and wouldn't feel like I'm "settling" for their bags, but I guess from economic perspective, I could always get YSL bags anytime down the road, while the time to own a CF is now. And like you said, if I turn out not getting as much enjoyment out of it as I had expected initially, I could always put it up for sale. Thanks again :smile:

I have a YSL Kate bag that I got a few months before I got my Chanel Jumbo. At the time, I had been lusting after the YSL Kate bag for a few years, and I didn't ever think I would be able to get a Chanel classic flap because the price was so high. That same year, I was very lucky and was generously gifted the Chanel Jumbo from my aunt and mom as an early 30th present (I didn't turn 30 until 2 years after that so it was a VERY early present, but they got it for me then because they knew how much I wanted it and because they knew of the price increases). Of course I loved both bags enormously. I used the YSL Kate bag every day since it was a little bit more understated than the Chanel jumbo, and the leather on the Kate bag is indestructible, and I only took the Chanel out for special occasions.

After a few years, my love for the YSL Kate bag slowly faded. I don't know why that is, because the classic black and gold combo I have in the Kate is the same combo as my Chanel Jumbo (and later the Reissue Mini) and a combo I really love to wear even for my wardrobe. However, my love for the Chanel Jumbo has never waned. The feeling I get from that bag is simply unparalleled - there's no other bag in my collection that gives me the same joy.

I would say buy the CF if you have the money for it now. The price will never get lower. It will only go up. I think even if you settle for the YSL, your heart will still yearn for the CF and you are out however much you spent on the YSL that you could’ve put towards your CF. I didn’t think of buying my first Chanel so fast (graduated college last year) and wanted to save up more but hearing the recent price increase, I went for it and bought my first CF and I don’t regret it at all! It was expensive but I had enough saved up for while being able to pay my bills and put extra $ towards my savings. Even though the bag was expensive, I will just not make any big purchases for a while :smile:

Reactions: C.Ly and fdc
Agree with everyone here who says buy the CF now. You won’t be satisfied until you have it, and the prices will only go up. The CF was always my holy grail and I bought a bunch of cheaper bags (Chanel and other brands) for the past 7 years to try to scratch the itch, but the itch remained. I didn’t buy my first CF until last year, and another one this year, and finally I have Chanel purse peace. I can now peruse the site and see pieces I like but nothing I’m dying to have, now that I’ve gotten my CFs. If I’d bought them years before, I would have saved so much money - both on the cost of those bags, and on the cost of all the bags I didn’t like as much that I bought hoping it would fill the void!

Agree with everyone here who says buy the CF now. You won’t be satisfied until you have it, and the prices will only go up. The CF was always my holy grail and I bought a bunch of cheaper bags (Chanel and other brands) for the past 7 years to try to scratch the itch, but the itch remained. I didn’t buy my first CF until last year, and another one this year, and finally I have Chanel purse peace. I can now peruse the site and see pieces I like but nothing I’m dying to have, now that I’ve gotten my CFs. If I’d bought them years before, I would have saved so much money - both on the cost of those bags, and on the cost of all the bags I didn’t like as much that I bought hoping it would fill the void!
I feel the same too, I’ve been buying other brands such as YSL, Ferragamo, D&G and LV, even I do love those bags it didnt calm my itch. I’m lucky enough to find a Medium black CF recently just after the scandalous price increase at a good price.
I’m dying to get a small beige caviar then I can be in Chanel purse peace (at least in terms of CF :P) but haven’t found any decent at good price. I’ve learnt the lesson the hard way, always prioritise CF and buy it as soon as you can as being expensive bag, the slightest price increase means a lot of money not counting for 15-20% as recent ones!! And the price increases keep your bag’s value if you ever want to resell it later.

I would say buy the CF if you have the money for it now. The price will never get lower. It will only go up. I think even if you settle for the YSL, your heart will still yearn for the CF and you are out however much you spent on the YSL that you could’ve put towards your CF. I didn’t think of buying my first Chanel so fast (graduated college last year) and wanted to save up more but hearing the recent price increase, I went for it and bought my first CF and I don’t regret it at all! It was expensive but I had enough saved up for while being able to pay my bills and put extra $ towards my savings. Even though the bag was expensive, I will just not make any big purchases for a while :smile:

Thanks for sharing! I think it is safe to say everyone agrees that it's really now or never to get a CF haha. I am in a very similar situation to you. To me, a Chanel bag is something that I thought I'd only get maybe 2-3 years down the road. But the recent price increase has definitely made me rethink it! Do I really wanna spend $2000 on a YSL and still long for Chanel (and having to buy it at a higher price later), or spend that $4000-5000 on Chanel now and have the peace of mind that I now own my dream bag and it will only go up in value? I am going to purchase my Chanel bag tomorrow! There's a part of me that feels so guilty for spending that much money on a bag, especially during this pandemic... But I guess if all my bills are paid and I still have some in the savings, then it is not irresponsible to get something that makes me truly happy and would last a lifetime :smile:

Oh my gosh, 7 years!! You're right, I guess the itch would never go away even by me trying to substitute it with other bags that may be cheaper or similar in style... Like for example. Chanel does many seasonal bags that has a very similar looks to the CF (Easy Flap, Crave flap, etc.) and I was at some point tempted to go for these options as they're cheaper. But in my heart of heart, I know that I would never be satisfied until I get an actual CF! So that's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for sharing! I think it is safe to say everyone agrees that it's really now or never to get a CF haha. I am in a very similar situation to you. To me, a Chanel bag is something that I thought I'd only get maybe 2-3 years down the road. But the recent price increase has definitely made me rethink it! Do I really wanna spend $2000 on a YSL and still long for Chanel (and having to buy it at a higher price later), or spend that $4000-5000 on Chanel now and have the peace of mind that I now own my dream bag and it will only go up in value? I am going to purchase my Chanel bag tomorrow! There's a part of me that feels so guilty for spending that much money on a bag, especially during this pandemic... But I guess if all my bills are paid and I still have some in the savings, then it is not irresponsible to get something that makes me truly happy and would last a lifetime :smile:
I’m so happy and excited for you! Don’t feel guilty! You worked hard for your money and it’s something you’ve always wanted. The Chanel bag was the most expensive handbag purchase I’ve ever made. I was worried when I got the bag, I would regret it since I spent a lot of money but when I opened up the box, I was glad I got it because it’s such a beautiful forever bag!