Should I buy MAC Carbon or will any black shadow work?

Hothand

Mar 21, 2011
I've been setting my eyeliner with black shadows for years but I still have a slight smear problem so I am wondering if Carbon will fix this.

My smears/runs aren't bad and the shadow definitely stays but since all shadows aren't created equal I want to know if Carbon could make the difference. Also, here are the the black shadows I've been using off the top of my head. Most of them don't have names on them and a lot of them cause some eye irritation so I stopped using them.

some black by NYC
a NYX black
a sparkly Covergirl black
a Kat VD black
a sparkly Smashbox black
a sparkly MARK black

It seriously just occurred to me that the cost of MAC makes this a shame that I haven't just caved and bought Carbon.

I can't recall Carbon smearing on me. It is also a pretty terrifically pigmented black shadow, which I know is hard to come by. I'm not familiar with any of the brands you mentioned so I can't compare them, but I am happy with Carbon. HTH!

I own carbon and NYX black... and I find no difference between the two. They are both just as pigmented, and both have the same staying power (IF I use a good base -- like UDPP or TFSI.)

ETA: Please see the swatch below. It is a comparison of the two.

Attachments

• NYX-Black-Eyeshadow-MAC-Carbon-Eyeshadow-Swatch.jpg
    NYX-Black-Eyeshadow-MAC-Carbon-Eyeshadow-Swatch.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 337
I have Carbon and I have to say that I've found several other blacks that work just as nicely. My favorite is actually a cheapie - Elf mineral eyeshadow in "Seductive."

Thanks so much to all of you! I was really close to just buying it. :lol

PrettyinPink your swatches definitely helped! I guess I'll continue on with the same routine. I use UDPP but I have pretty watery eyes so that is probably the issue.