Should I buy a Chanel Jumbo or Hermes Birkin?

I'm contemplating my next (maybe last) expensive handbag purchase. After this purchase, I want to concentrate my finances elsewhere (may be buying a new house and new car relatively soon) and I want one of my holy grails before all this to tide me over for my handbag hiatus hehe I can't decide between a black Chanel jumbo single flap with shw (I was able to track down a new one with tags) or black Hermes Birkin 35 cm clemence leather with palladium hardware (I'm on the non-existent wait list but have had my eye out for a preloved one and haven't come across one yet). I know they're so different. The only thing they have in common is being being black with shw. I love black and wear black often. I carry both shoulder handbags and satchels. Relatively new to satchels but I've gotten use to them. I'm mostly a jeans kind of girl and I don't usually carry a lot in my handbag. I rarely go out to fancy restaurants but it would be nice to be able to wear the handbag day to night if I need to. So please you guys, tell me which one you'd get and why. As always, thanks! :smile:

Personally, I would purchase the Chanel Jumbo. I have never been a fan of Hermes. I believe the Chanel flap represents true luxury and class. It is timeless and you will treasure it for the years to come. I love the history of Chanel and everything about it. I would choose Chanel over any brand, any day. Good luck in your decision!

There are many threads that cover this subject. Did you try searching?

A 35 B does not go from day to night. It is a tote bag. I would never take my 35 to dinner or any evening function on purpose...it's too big.

I would choose Hermes but not a 35 because as has been stated does not transition from day to evening due to its largeness. Hermes is made by hand and there is no comparison from a craftsmanship perspective. Should you ever want to sell either of the purses, H is always sought after and will give you a better return on investment.

Whichever you decide to go with, I would certainly consider a pre-owned purse as I would a pre-owned car. Cars depreciate most in their first year.

The prices on the classics have been going up like crazy so it might be best to snatch one up now. The jumbo can transition from day to night easily but not so with the B. Sometimes I prefer my jumbo because I can carry it on my shoulder.
Whatever you decide it will be a classic.

I'm contemplating my next (maybe last) expensive handbag purchase. After this purchase, I want to concentrate my finances elsewhere (may be buying a new house and new car relatively soon) and I want one of my holy grails before all this to tide me over for my handbag hiatus hehe I can't decide between a black Chanel jumbo single flap with shw (I was able to track down a new one with tags) or black Hermes Birkin 35 cm clemence leather with palladium hardware (I'm on the non-existent wait list but have had my eye out for a preloved one and haven't come across one yet). I know they're so different. The only thing they have in common is being being black with shw. I love black and wear black often. I carry both shoulder handbags and satchels. Relatively new to satchels but I've gotten use to them. I'm mostly a jeans kind of girl and I don't usually carry a lot in my handbag. I rarely go out to fancy restaurants but it would be nice to be able to wear the handbag day to night if I need to. So please you guys, tell me which one you'd get and why. As always, thanks! :smile:

Hi! Because you would like to be able to wear this bag day to night, I think the chanel flap sounds like it would be right for you. 35cm birkin is a day tote only and can be heavy. Do you own other nice day to night shoulder bags that fit the same niche in your bag wardrobe? Both bags are lovely so i suggest you consider what you feel might be "missing" from your current bag collection. Also, the chanel flap is considerably more wallet friendly than the birkin... you could purchase a chanel flap and a chanel tote for the price of one birkin. Hmm.... I know, I am so bad! But seriously, you can't go wrong with either. You just have to decide what purpose you are hope to use it for, then you will have your answer. Good luck!

luckylove,
I don't really have a designer day to night handbag. I have a red Chanel accordion flap and black Medallion tote. Both seem a little too casual for my few and far between nights out (jeans/slacks, heels, cute top). I'm 5'6 and fairly curvy so the Birkin 30cm looks really small and disproportionate on me. When I tried on the 35cm, I looked "balanced" KWIM? Unfortunately, the Birkin I tried on was in an exotic, lightweight material and not clemence leather so the weight of my holy grail is unknown to me at this point :-/ I have back and shoulder problems so über-heavy would be a bad thing but I do carry only keys, phone, and card case instead of a wallet.

luckylove,
I don't really have a designer day to night handbag. I have a red Chanel accordion flap and black Medallion tote. Both seem a little too casual for my few and far between nights out (jeans/slacks, heels, cute top). I'm 5'6 and fairly curvy so the Birkin 30cm looks really small and disproportionate on me. When I tried on the 35cm, I looked "balanced" KWIM? Unfortunately, the Birkin I tried on was in an exotic, lightweight material and not clemence leather so the weight of my holy grail is unknown to me at this point :-/ I have back and shoulder problems so über-heavy would be a bad thing but I do carry only keys, phone, and card case instead of a wallet.

Uh oh, back problems is something I suffer with daily and not to nudge you from one brand to the other, the jumbo was too heavy for me to carry and I do not carry a lot in a purse: check ledger credit card holder, sunglasses, car keys when they're not in my pocket and a lipstick. When I was into Chanel, m/l flap or east west were in the collection. I had to sell my jumbo after the back surgeries due to the weight.

When I moved to Hermes, a 28 kelly is all I needed size wise. With Hermes the leather choice can kill a back faster than you can slap yourself -- and at a 35 size, I wonder if any leather other than box, chevre (which they don't make in 35s any longer), epsom or swift are the leathers that may work. Would be stellar if you could find a chevre (goat); you'd be looking at the reseller market. Goat is lightweight and more durable than box.

May I suggest you go the Chanel boutique and put what you carry into a jumbo and put it on your shoulder. Be realistic -- if I was out shopping with it, could I wear it for an hour, two hours without triggering pain?

Unfortunately the reason why I've been on the jumbo single flap trail is because I tried on a jumbo double flap and in literally 2 mins my shoulder and back were hurting with it empty. I've heard the single flap is lighter and I've had no problems with my accordion flap so I'm hopeful about the single flap. The reissues are much lighter but I'm not a fan of the gunmetal chain and I really don't want another ghw handbag right now.

I would say go for the Chanel...definitely classic elegance.

BTW...not sure if you are aware, but the prices on Chanel classic flaps are going up this Friday Feb 1st. So the jumbo will jump from 4900 to 5800.