Should I buy a Chanel as my first branded purchase?

ponybun

Jun 2, 2018
Hi Ladies of PurseForum,

I'm about to splurge for my first ever branded bag but torn between these lovelies:

1. Classic Chanel Flap
2. Celine Belt
3. Balenciaga City

I'm 24 and highly leaning towards the Chanel because: 1) if I'm spending a lot of money already, I might as well make it count and buy a really elegant and enduring piece; 2) at some point in my life, I do want a Chanel Flap so thought it would be better to get it now rather than wait for the price to go up, as it is probably bound to!.

Trouble is, as a PhD student I am likely to spend more time with my backpack than a Chanel Flap; the latter would only make an appearance once or twice a week in the weekend, or to weddings etc. Is it worth buying it now, or wait until I'm older? Also, is it a hardy piece or a fragile one that needs constant love and care to retain its good looks? Alternatively, is it better to buy either the Belt or the City because they've got a more everyday look to them?

Opinion highly appreciated! xxx

Hi! I faced the same dilemma as you recently between choosing a classic flap or other high end bags (Saint Laurent Kate for me). I ended up choosing the SL because, as a student as well, it was hard for me to drop that much for my first designer bag, especially since I may not know how to care for them right now. I figured I will get it in the future when I'm more stable and may have more occasions to wear it! In the end I think it's up to you in what you value more, whether it's getting the most use out of your items/practicality or completely being in love with something. Regardless, a chanel would be great to have in any collection so it also wouldn't hurt to get it now if that's what you really love! I also think it can be dressed down very nicely and is not limited to being worn only on special occasions.

PS. curious in what you're studying? :smile:

Reactions: ponybun
Hi Ladies of PurseForum,

I'm about to splurge for my first ever branded bag but torn between these lovelies:

1. Classic Chanel Flap
2. Celine Belt
3. Balenciaga City

I'm 24 and highly leaning towards the Chanel because: 1) if I'm spending a lot of money already, I might as well make it count and buy a really elegant and enduring piece; 2) at some point in my life, I do want a Chanel Flap so thought it would be better to get it now rather than wait for the price to go up, as it is probably bound to!.

Trouble is, as a PhD student I am likely to spend more time with my backpack than a Chanel Flap; the latter would only make an appearance once or twice a week in the weekend, or to weddings etc. Is it worth buying it now, or wait until I'm older? Also, is it a hardy piece or a fragile one that needs constant love and care to retain its good looks? Alternatively, is it better to buy either the Belt or the City because they've got a more everyday look to them?

Opinion highly appreciated! xxx

1. Other than wanting a branded bag...what purpose do you want it to serve? Daily use? Special event use? What size bag are you looking into? How much do you really want to spend? If you decide on a Chanel your heart should really be set on it given the price point.

2. Once you know what purpose you want this new bag to serve just try on the bags in store if possible...that will really help you I think.

3. If you decide on the Balenciaga know that the mini size is comparable to Chanel's medium flap. The mini metallic edge can be dressed up or down. Of course it won't hold value like a classic Chanel but you can get much more use out of it and the cost should be almost a third of Chanel if you find a good deal. Be careful where you purchase it...dept store sales are the best for Balenciaga. Please be cautious of deals on other sites like Amuze, etc...there area lot of super fakes being sold.

Just some of my thoughts....sorry I don't really know too much about Celine. Good luck!

I agree with the posters above. I bought a small lambskin Chanel classic flap as my first high end designer bag and I regretted it at first. First of all, it didn't hold much and I could only use it to certain events. Also, I thought it looked a little boring because everyone had the same bag. In retrospect, if I wanted a bag I could actually use as a student, I would have gotten a Balenciaga City. However, that being said, now that I am no longer a student and I can afford to buy more than one Chanel bag, I really appreciate splurging on the bag back when it was cheaper and having purchased the classics early so now I can buy the crazy and colorful bags.

I still never use the the Chanel classic, though, because it looks too common and it slips off my shoulder constantly. I guess I like having it. My Balenciaga City gets far more use for traveling and every day grocery shopping/errands.

If it would be your only bag I would go for the Balenciaga, more of a every day bag. A City bag was one of my first designer bags. I have several Chanel now and my Jumbo Classic double flap is by far my favorite but it is not an every day bag, I use my Chanel backpack most days. If you decide on the Chanel flap buy caviar leather and at least the medium/large size but it sounds to me like you need to start out with one of the other bags you mentioned. This coming season the Belt bag is coming out in a beautiful red....I have really never been a fan of the Celine bags even with all the past hype of the Luggage Tote but the Belt bag is nice (I would still rather go with the Balenciaga). Good luck.

Reactions: aksaiyo and Tykhe
If you go with the Balenciaga City, I would suggest going preloved. Resale values for the Balenciaga motto line are very low right now, so you can find a great condition one for about a third of the price of new. I love the city and have quite a few, and they are a great daily bag. I primarily buy Chanel now, but will always love my cities:heart:. As for the Chanel flap, it sounds like at this point in time it wouldn’t get as much use as a good daily bag would, but at the same time if you are certain you want one at some point, the prices do raise periodically. If you are worried about fragility, I would go with caviar vs lambskin if you go with the flap, and the resale value of caviar tends to be higher if that is a concern. The Celine Belt is nice and looks like it would make a great daily bag as well.

Hi! I faced the same dilemma as you recently between choosing a classic flap or other high end bags (Saint Laurent Kate for me). I ended up choosing the SL because, as a student as well, it was hard for me to drop that much for my first designer bag, especially since I may not know how to care for them right now. I figured I will get it in the future when I'm more stable and may have more occasions to wear it! In the end I think it's up to you in what you value more, whether it's getting the most use out of your items/practicality or completely being in love with something. Regardless, a chanel would be great to have in any collection so it also wouldn't hurt to get it now if that's what you really love! I also think it can be dressed down very nicely and is not limited to being worn only on special occasions.

PS. curious in what you're studying? :smile:

Thanks for this, Pauliney! I'm a music analyst :smile: Yes, I think that despite its rather formal cut, the Chanel can be dressed up or down, but just not as slouchily as a Balenciaga could.

Reactions: Tykhe
1. Other than wanting a branded bag...what purpose do you want it to serve? Daily use? Special event use? What size bag are you looking into? How much do you really want to spend? If you decide on a Chanel your heart should really be set on it given the price point.

2. Once you know what purpose you want this new bag to serve just try on the bags in store if possible...that will really help you I think.

3. If you decide on the Balenciaga know that the mini size is comparable to Chanel's medium flap. The mini metallic edge can be dressed up or down. Of course it won't hold value like a classic Chanel but you can get much more use out of it and the cost should be almost a third of Chanel if you find a good deal. Be careful where you purchase it...dept store sales are the best for Balenciaga. Please be cautious of deals on other sites like Amuze, etc...there area lot of super fakes being sold.

Just some of my thoughts....sorry I don't really know too much about Celine. Good luck!

Hi Newbie2016 - thanks for your input! I do have the money for a Chanel and I realise I'm very lucky to be able to have the option. Any bag that I end up buying would be used for going shopping, to church - basically, anywhere but the library or the department (so an 80%-20% split between backpack and nice bag). Trying in-store seems like the best option, then I can really figure out which I like best.

I agree with the posters above. I bought a small lambskin Chanel classic flap as my first high end designer bag and I regretted it at first. First of all, it didn't hold much and I could only use it to certain events. Also, I thought it looked a little boring because everyone had the same bag. In retrospect, if I wanted a bag I could actually use as a student, I would have gotten a Balenciaga City. However, that being said, now that I am no longer a student and I can afford to buy more than one Chanel bag, I really appreciate splurging on the bag back when it was cheaper and having purchased the classics early so now I can buy the crazy and colorful bags.

I still never use the the Chanel classic, though, because it looks too common and it slips off my shoulder constantly. I guess I like having it. My Balenciaga City gets far more use for traveling and every day grocery shopping/errands.

Hi Tykhe, thank you for your thoughts! That's exactly what I'm thinking re buying the classics when prices are still what they are now, knowing that I want them anyway at some point. When you say it slips off, is that when using both straps or just a long one?

Reactions: Tykhe
If it would be your only bag I would go for the Balenciaga, more of a every day bag. A City bag was one of my first designer bags. I have several Chanel now and my Jumbo Classic double flap is by far my favorite but it is not an every day bag, I use my Chanel backpack most days. If you decide on the Chanel flap buy caviar leather and at least the medium/large size but it sounds to me like you need to start out with one of the other bags you mentioned. This coming season the Belt bag is coming out in a beautiful red....I have really never been a fan of the Celine bags even with all the past hype of the Luggage Tote but the Belt bag is nice (I would still rather go with the Balenciaga). Good luck.

Hi Jaxholt 15, thank you for your tip re Celine red! The Belt is the only style of theirs that I like, actually. Is there a big difference in weight between the medium and large Chanel flaps?

Hi Tykhe, thank you for your thoughts! That's exactly what I'm thinking re buying the classics when prices are still what they are now, knowing that I want them anyway at some point. When you say it slips off, is that when using both straps or just a long one?
Just one lol I almost never double up because I hate the bag in my armpit feeling. Actually, I find the mini much easier to carry because it can be worn cross body. If possible, you might want to consider that instead of a m/l classic.

Just one lol I almost never double up because I hate the bag in my armpit feeling. Actually, I find the mini much easier to carry because it can be worn cross body. If possible, you might want to consider that instead of a m/l classic.

Isn't the mini really really tiny though? I need space for a wallet, a lipstick, a compact and a couple other things as well as keys, at least...

Isn't the mini really really tiny though? I need space for a wallet, a lipstick, a compact and a couple other things as well as keys, at least...
Yeah true. A mini would not fit all that. You might want to think about a jumbo. It can be worn cross body and it fits quite a bit. Only downside is that it is very heavy. If you can get one of the seasonal single flaps it might be lighter. A Balenciaga city is much more comfortable to carry. I almost never wear my jumbo because I don’t want to have chain imprints in my shoulders.

The other thing to consider, IMO, is if your first designer bag as a student is a classic flap (which is way more expensive for a "starter designer bag" than the other two), where else do you have left to go from there once you've set such a high bar? A Boy? A Kelly? A Birkin?? And it's such an expensive bag, you'll probably baby it (which is understandable, I still baby mine too!), so it won't get as much wear, especially if you're going to use it 80/20 daily/fancy events. I feel like the Celine Belt and any Bal bag look better once they've been "lived in" more - they're still workhorse bags, and significantly less expensive than a classic flap, while still exuding luxury and class. AND you won't kill yourself if they inevitably get scuffed the way you would for a classic!