Should I Buy a Bag with a Tear in the Leather?

pishee

Sleepy New Mom
Jul 27, 2008
I saw a bag on eBay I'd like to bid on, but it has a 1 1/4 inch tear/cut on the back. If it were the only bag I was going to have in this style, I would only buy it new and perfect, but I have this same bag in the color I REALLY love -- I just wanted to also get it in a brown as well. If I can get the bag really cheap (it's usually $168), do you think I should buy it? Is there anything you can do for torn leather to be sure it doesn't tear further? Thanks!

i wouldn't but that is because a tear in the leather would bother me. if you don't think it would bother you then i say go for it because that's not THAT expensive. maybe you could take it to a leather expert who could fix it?

in a word....."No"

it may not be worth the bother and w/Stormy Heart's comment (she's our leather expert, if you don't know)......I would definitely heed her advice!

What about bringing a pic of the bag to a cobbler and ask what kind of repair could be done and how much it would be. Depending on where it is, a talented cobbler might be able to make a seamless repair...who knows.

Thank you to everyone, so much! I am really new to all this, as I've only purchased Fossil bags in the past, so I appreciate the advice. I WILL pass on this one, and wait for the same one in that color in good shape. Funny thing is, I actually returned one I found on eBay, the same style, in black, because it arrived with a tear on the back that the seller hadn't mentioned in the description. Again, thank you so much -- it's nice to have knowledgeable people so willing to help. :yahoo: