Should I bring out my Bays when the temperature is under -10 C ??

bagloverno

Oct 23, 2010
Norway
Hi Mulberries,
It happened that I've got a Bays in Antique Glaze leather (really lovely leather I think) and I've already brought her out to work 2 days. The problem is that I take bus to work, so there always be some time I stay outside at the bus stop with her, and the temperature here in Trondheim (Norway) NOW is going low under -10 C and not gonna change for a while (by weather forecast). So I wonder is it safe to use her in these days? Later on, I will have a Bays in Darwin (Oak Tooled, won it from ebay :yahoo:) so I wonder if it is safe to use her in the cold temperature too! Any advice or help will be very appreciated! :biggrin:

korzinka

Jan 2, 2009
Nothing bad should happen to your bays. I have been wearing leather bags in -25 C for years, while I lived in one cold red country. The bag lifespan is not affected! Even better, any mould spores get killed! Just do not apply any leather cream before taking the bag out - the moisture in the cream will crystallise and affect the leather. After the outing, however, give it a good nourishing.
The same about the face! No face cream an hour before going out in frosty weather! Or very full-fat cream (like goose fat) which does not contain virtually any water, but nobody would want goose cream on the face unless it is -50 C

bagloverno

Oct 23, 2010
Norway
Thanks very much for your advices, korzinka, both about bag and face, they're helpful for me :tup:

Nothing bad should happen to your bays. I have been wearing leather bags in -25 C for years, while I lived in one cold red country. The bag lifespan is not affected! Even better, any mould spores get killed! Just do not apply any leather cream before taking the bag out - the moisture in the cream will crystallise and affect the leather. After the outing, however, give it a good nourishing.
The same about the face! No face cream an hour before going out in frosty weather! Or very full-fat cream (like goose fat) which does not contain virtually any water, but nobody would want goose cream on the face unless it is -50 C

Tarababe

O.G.
Jul 13, 2010
Durham
:lol: OMG goose fat :nuts: Can just imagine that picture????

bagloverno

Oct 23, 2010
Norway
I dont know about goose fat creme but in here they do sell some kind of face creme that I bought for my daughter as she plays a lot outside in the cold temperature at kinder garden, that creme basically contains no trace of water, so when it's on the face outside in minus C degrees, it doesnt make the face icy?! :graucho:

:lol: OMG goose fat :nuts: Can just imagine that picture????

bagloverno

Oct 23, 2010
Norway
Mulberries, you make me confident again with my bag, just thought that I had to keep her in dust bag until the weather would change to be warmer, but now it's no problem, that's great :yahoo:

steph22

O.G.
Apr 4, 2010
England
It is very cold in the UK also (althought no way near -10C!) Your bag should be fine just the usual keep it away from water.

I have been using my Bays everyday, but when I know it is snowing I keep it nice and warm in its dust bag to avoid water marks.

bagloverno

Oct 23, 2010
Norway
Yeah, I agree about that too, if I see it's snowy or rainy before I go out then I would let her stay safe at home, I have a vintage Burberry Haymarket backpack which is very lovely too, for use in such case :biggrin:

It is very cold in the UK also (althought no way near -10C!) Your bag should be fine just the usual keep it away from water.

I have been using my Bays everyday, but when I know it is snowing I keep it nice and warm in its dust bag to avoid water marks.