should I be offended?

lovemyzoes

lovemyzoes
Jun 21, 2009
Saturday I went to the coach boutique where I usually shop and I was trying to decide what I wanted to purchase. my dh was with me and he said that three sa were starring at me and he was sure they were talking about me. I have to say that I'm very picky about my purchases and look them over very carefully before I buy. I know that one of the sa doesn't like me very much since I am that picky. but I'm not rude or anything it's just that if they bring me out a purse with a scratch, I have them try and find me a better one, but I'm not demanding. when my dh told me that they were starring at me and that he was sure they were talking about me, I felt uncomfortable and decided to leave without buying anything. did I over react?

wow...........that's tough. the thing is though, you have NO IDEA what they were saying. They might have said that you find the nicest Coach bags and they don't know how you do it. Or they could've been nasty. If there's another boutique in your area, I'd try to go there instead.

When my kids were little, we went to the pediatrician ALL THE TIME. There was one nurse who I thought HATED me and we always seemed to get her and I dreaded it. Then one day she told me how much she admired me for being such an advocate for my kids (the older one is severely autistic) and she just wondered how I did it (I used to go in there with bites and bruise marks all over from him.) I realized that I was taking her attitude the wrong way and now she's my favorite!! So.....you just don't know.

And you have the right to get a bag without a scratch or mark on it. Even if they have to look at ten bags for you. This is NOT cheap stuff. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

i dont think you overreacted at all. i have felt the same and walked out of a store because i did not like the vibe i got from the employees. some just seem so snoody. im sorry i would personally just go to another store if possible.

wow...........that's tough. the thing is though, you have NO IDEA what they were saying. They might have said that you find the nicest Coach bags and they don't know how you do it. Or they could've been nasty. If there's another boutique in your area, I'd try to go there instead.

When my kids were little, we went to the pediatrician ALL THE TIME. There was one nurse who I thought HATED me and we always seemed to get her and I dreaded it. Then one day she told me how much she admired me for being such an advocate for my kids (the older one is severely autistic) and she just wondered how I did it (I used to go in there with bites and bruise marks all over from him.) I realized that I was taking her attitude the wrong way and now she's my favorite!! So.....you just don't know.

And you have the right to get a bag without a scratch or mark on it. Even if they have to look at ten bags for you. This is NOT cheap stuff. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
ditto.

years ago i did my time working retail, and truly you just can't be sure (unless he heard every word) just WHAT they may have been talking about. the fact they were staring could mean nothing. sometimes it is boring in retail and you just get zoned out and stare waiting for the customer to ask you for help.

on one hand i want to say that i don't blame you for not giving them your business if they were talking about you...but on the other hand you are there to get you some coach, they need to shut it and you need to get your stuff! is this the only store near you? if so then just shop elsewhere. but if it's the only one then strut right in there and be just as picky as you need to be, they need the business.

if they make you uncomfortable again just tell them you know they weren't raised in the south where our mamas taught us never to be impolite by talking about someone when they're present...wait till their back is turned !:graucho:

Hi,
I think you have a right to want your bag to be perfect! We pay a lot of money for them so I say choose the best one!!! There is a Coach store near me that I find some of the SAs are snotty! I go in and browse and go to the other Coach store to buy.
I have been on both sides of customer service, so I don't think you overracted!!
It is your right to be picky about your bag!!

Lynne :biggrin:

they could have been talking about something different but were keeping an eye on you to make sure they were available if you needed it. I have been in management for years and when any of us have a moment during the busiest time of the year we stand around and talk and catch a few moments....so it may just be nothing. But if you feel weird...find another store. I also make them bring me out bags till I find the perfect one so I don't know if that is it or not.

years ago i did my time working retail, and truly you just can't be sure (unless he heard every word) just WHAT they may have been talking about. the fact they were staring could mean nothing. sometimes it is boring in retail and you just get zoned out and stare waiting for the customer to ask you for help.

on one hand i want to say that i don't blame you for not giving them your business if they were talking about you...but on the other hand you are there to get you some coach, they need to shut it and you need to get your stuff! is this the only store near you? if so then just shop elsewhere. but if it's the only one then strut right in there and be just as picky as you need to be, they need the business.

if they make you uncomfortable again just tell them you know they weren't raised in the south where our mamas taught us never to be impolite by talking about someone when they're present...wait till their back is turned !:graucho:
Exactly!!! Sometimes I realize that I'm staring at somebody and I'll tell them WHY - sometimes they look like somebody I know, sometimes I just LOVE their haircut. Today the girl behind me at the grocery store had the WORST fake Coach Sabrina I've ever seen IRL and it was REALLY hard for me not to stare. I hope my food didn't pick up the pleather smell......

there's a sa there that is great. he called me earlier this week to ask me if I received my pce and I told him that I had and he offered to hold any bag that I may be interested in. my problem is, I think he will probably call again to see if I'm going to get anything before the pce is over and I'm wondering if I should tell him what happened and how they made me feel or just leave it alone.?

I don't think that they were waiting around to help me because there was a sa close by that was helping me. my dh was sure they were talking about me and maybe it wasn't anything bad that they were saying but I still felt uncomfortable. I like going to this boutique because it is closer to me but I may just go to the other one that is further.

No. I would have done the same thing. That's just bad customer service. SAs should never make their customers feel uncomfortable or unwelcome at a store. It's disappointing that they treated you that way!

I'm sure if you told the SA about their rude behaviour there wouldn't be much that he can do anyway. It might be nice to vent but at the end of the day, that's probably as far as it will go.

I am that picky too. However, the SAs at my store know it and never give me problems or make me feel uncomfortable. In fact, when I got my cobalt Sophia this past weekend, the SA said she would love to get presents for me because she can tell that I pick the best of whatever out. I told her I was just as picky picking a gift out as picking my own stuff out (if not more). I always thank them for their time and even apologize if it takes a little longer for me to find the one I think is perfect and they say I don't need to apologize. The manager is so nice that when I come in to look at something, she automatically brings out everything she has in that style and has a big smile.

The assistant manager knows that I baby my bags and take care of them too. They see that my bags look as new as the day I bought them when I come in.

The thing is for all I know they tease me when I leave. I don't know if they do or don't. I don't care if they do really. However, I am glad that they never make me feel uncomfortable or uneasy while I am in the store and that is what matters most. If you feel uneasy, maybe try one more time to see how it goes or go to another store if you would be happier that way

I am picky about my bags at the store too and I always ask the SAs bring out at least two from the back. I think they do get annoyed but I'm the one dropping the money on them and I want them to be perfect. I once returned a key fob I ordered online that had crooked eyes, and I think they were annoyed, but oh well! It seems as though at the outlet they are more patient and understanding, at least in my area.

Since you really don't know what they were saying, I think you are overreacting. You don't know that they were even talking about you, let alone if it was positive or negative. Although we do have a right to buy bag in good condition, it sounds as if you feel a bit guilty about how you have reacted in the past and are projecting it on the SAs. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that sometimes our imaginations are our own worst enemies.